Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #1281
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
And why don't they factor in time delyaed viewers? Because advertisers refuse to pay based on those numbers since the viewer has the ability to bypass the commercials.
exactly! Nearly everyone I know who watched lost before still watches it, so I don't know how it went down 20%.

Sometimes tv, movies, and music execs don't keep up with the time.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #1282
Crom
Loki

Quote:
That actually is incorrect and based on faulty reporting by media outlets. Ratings only account for shows that are watched during their live broadcasts. Thus, every person who DVRs or tapes a show for delayed viewing does not count in the ratings.

USA Today ran an article on this several weeks ago and the differences were astonishing. Lost was down 20% from last year. But if you take into account time delayed viewers, it was only down 1%. Most other shows had similar results.

So why are more people using delayed watching? The best guess was the early switch to day light savings time.

And why don't they factor in time delyaed viewers? Because advertisers refuse to pay based on those numbers since the viewer has the ability to bypass the commercials.

I should have qualified my response. Heroes is the only new show that the networks consider a bon-a-fide hit. While there are hit shows on TV still, none of the new shows have really been true, out-of-the-ballpark home runs. Heroes actually increased viewership in the first several shows after the season opener.

While viewership appears to be down across the board for all networks, as you pointed out Tivo and other recording devices are not being taken into account yet. And even if Heroes numbers were to decline it would still be a ratings monster n the coveted 18-49 range.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #1283
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
I should have qualified my response. Heroes is the only new show that the networks consider a bon-a-fide hit. While there are hit shows on TV still, none of the new shows have really been true, out-of-the-ballpark home runs. Heroes actually increased viewership in the first several shows after the season opener.

While viewership appears to be down across the board for all networks, as you pointed out Tivo and other recording devices are not being taken into account yet. And even if Heroes numbers were to decline it would still be a ratings monster n the coveted 18-49 range.
Right. I wasn't implying that you were incorrect, but that the facts people see are incorrect.

Neilson is working on something to take delayed viewers into account. I honestly can not think of one show I watch at its actual time. So I am a non-entity to the TV ratings industry
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #1284
Crom
Loki

And even when Tivo and the other recorded shows are taken into account, think it will actually be tougher for shows to be renewed. Considering most people do not watch commercials when they record a show, advertising dollars will likely go down.

Better get used to all of the Heroes holding a Coke can in every scene.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #1285
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
The show's not ending, it's just the season that is. In fact I just read that it is being renewed and Season 2 will have 30 episodes. There will also be a spin-off series, Heroes: Origins. Awesome!
I hate when they try adn extend a show, it always suffers, This is the end of the graphic novel story line?

ANgrycomicman is one of the few people I know that has the graphic novel and read it.

I hope it doesnt start getting stupid like prison break and they start seriously f-ing the story lines...
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #1286
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

I hope it doesnt start getting stupid like prison break and they start seriously f-ing the story lines...

oh they will. They also likely altered the ending to set up the second season.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #1287
DarthBane
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
And now that D.L. is dead Sylar cannot steal his powers, as he did in the future Hiro and Ando saw. It looks like that future is slowly changing, possibly for the better.
LITTLE SPOILER IF YOU DID NOT SEE THE PREVIEW FOR NEXT WEEK

I Don't think D.L. is dead yet? In the previews for next week he was with Micah and Nicky laying there with his eyes open.
DarthBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #1288
imthkman
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Right. I wasn't implying that you were incorrect, but that the facts people see are incorrect.

Neilson is working on something to take delayed viewers into account. I honestly can not think of one show I watch at its actual time. So I am a non-entity to the TV ratings industry
Me neither. I have 3 kids, and my DVR's are the only way I get to see any of the shows I like. I hope Neilson gets the "delayed viewing" thing going. I don't care if the shows have to put advertising on the screen. I'd rather see Peter wearing a GAP shirt than no Heroes at all.
imthkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #1289
fossa2
Like a Phoenix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBane View Post
I Don't think D.L. is dead yet?
Just because he was shot does not mean he is dead. Happens all the time...& not only in TV Land. I was thinking the same thing.

So why did Ted not just "flame on" to escape the Paddy Wagon...or for that matter, to prevent them from capturing him in the first place?
fossa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #1290
whd
Suicide Squad

Talking Ironic Pun Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossa2 View Post
Just because he was shot does not mean he is dead. Happens all the time...& not only in TV Land. I was thinking the same thing.

So why did Ted not just "flame on" to escape the Paddy Wagon...or for that matter, to prevent them from capturing him in the first place?
Despite his power, Ted was not exactly the brightest bulb.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote