Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tsume / Attakus

Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #121
aeumuse
Hydra

Music to my ears Thanks Darth~
aeumuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #122
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseawilson View Post
What the heck are you talking about???

In it's first 2 weekends it made over $97 million in the US alone. The Incredible Hulk made $260 million world wide and only cost $137 million to make. I would call doubling your money a certified "summer blockbuster" and no where near a "flop". $123 million dollars net so far and the dam DVD hasn't even been released yet.

IMO there will definitely be a second Hulk movie.
Come on now, I think the Incredible Hulk would be considered pretty much a near disaster from Marvel's point of view.

The first Hulk movie reportedly cost $137 million to make, and at least $100 million in advertising and promotions, and only made $245.3 million total worldwide. It was considered such a failure by the powers that be that the studio let the rights return to Marvel, and they rebooted the entire franchise and started over rather than follow it up with a traditional sequel, regardless of how much it made on dvd (something which for larger budgeted so called 'blockbuster' films is rarely given all that much consideration anyway).

And the reboot, Incredible Hulk cost $150 million to make, with a similar advertising budget to the first Hulk, and still only ended up beating the total worldwide take of the first film by a couple of million, with a grand total of $247.9 million dollars worldwide, and because of advertising costs likely hasn't even broken even yet, or just only. Any way you cut it, that's hardly a success, box office wise, for the reboot. It basically did the exact same business as the first film, while costing a bit more to make and advertise. And for a film marketed as a reboot because the original was percieved as a failure, then that seems like pretty much the definition of the new film also ultimately being seen as a failure by the powers that be as well.

I mean again, just to put that into perspective, Daredevil only cost $78 million to make, and made just under $180 million worldwide, and was still considered a dud, and has seemingly been abandoned as a franchise.

I think if they can convince Norton to come back (which might be pretty damn difficult given his temperament) then they'll probably take another shot at a Hulk film, in the hopes of building on the groundwork laid by Incredible Hulk, but if they have to recast all over once again I think it'll be a long while before we see another solo Hulk movie based on the disappointing box office results of the last two, as they'll likely see it as not worth the risk, at least for a good while anyhow, and next time we see Hulk it'll probably be as part of the Avengers movie. We'll see I guess.

That's my take anyhow. Then again, I'm just some guy on a message board, so what do I know?
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #123
jesseawilson
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
Come on now, I think the Incredible Hulk would be considered pretty much a near disaster from Marvel's point of view.

The first Hulk movie reportedly cost $137 million to make, and at least $100 million in advertising and promotions, and only made $245.3 million total worldwide. It was considered such a failure by the powers that be that the studio let the rights return to Marvel, and they rebooted the entire franchise and started over rather than follow it up with a traditional sequel, regardless of how much it made on dvd (something which for larger budgeted so called 'blockbuster' films is rarely given all that much consideration anyway).

And the reboot, Incredible Hulk cost $150 million to make, with a similar advertising budget to the first Hulk, and still only ended up beating the total worldwide take of the first film by a couple of million, with a grand total of $247.9 million dollars worldwide, and because of advertising costs likely hasn't even broken even yet, or just only. Any way you cut it, that's hardly a success, box office wise, for the reboot. It basically did the exact same business as the first film, while costing a bit more to make and advertise. And for a film marketed as a reboot because the original was percieved as a failure, then that seems like pretty much the definition of the new film also ultimately being seen as a failure by the powers that be as well.

I mean again, just to put that into perspective, Daredevil only cost $78 million to make, and made just under $180 million worldwide, and was still considered a dud, and has seemingly been abandoned as a franchise.

I think if they can convince Norton to come back (which might be pretty damn difficult given his temperament) then they'll probably take another shot at a Hulk film, in the hopes of building on the groundwork laid by Incredible Hulk, but if they have to recast all over once again I think it'll be a long while before we see another solo Hulk movie based on the disappointing box office results of the last two, as they'll likely see it as not worth the risk, at least for a good while anyhow, and next time we see Hulk it'll probably be as part of the Avengers movie. We'll see I guess.

That's my take anyhow. Then again, I'm just some guy on a message board, so what do I know?

Don't forget the movies that came out while it was in the theaters: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Iron Man, Prince Caspian, Wall-E, Hellboy II, and Dark Knight. If you can manage to cover all of your expenses in a summer lineup like that then you are doing something right. Many more people will see this on DVD and Blu-Ray than saw it in the theaters. They will realize a hefty profit from DVD sales. And your also forgetting one HUGE factor, merchandising. The studio easily made $100 million on merchandising alone. With the DVD sales easily topping 100 million that's a 200 million dollar profit even if the global box office was sucked up by production costs and marketing. That on top of it being a quality movie should insure it getting a sequel. Maybe they'll even think about launching it at a more opportune time this time around.

BTW Daredevil was a dud because it sucked ass. It was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen (thanks in large part to Assfleck). They should be greatfull if it did indeed break even and apologize to comic fans everywhere for ripping them off.

And that's my take
jesseawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #124
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:

There is no way the Incredible Hulk had the same advertising budget as the first - the first Hulk was EVERYWHERE - this one... not so much. I hardly saw a commercial till almost a week before!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #125
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post

Legs look kinda small dontcha think?
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #126
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseawilson View Post
Don't forget the movies that came out while it was in the theaters: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Iron Man, Prince Caspian, Wall-E, Hellboy II, and Dark Knight. If you can manage to cover all of your expenses in a summer lineup like that then you are doing something right. Many more people will see this on DVD and Blu-Ray than saw it in the theaters. They will realize a hefty profit from DVD sales. And your also forgetting one HUGE factor, merchandising. The studio easily made $100 million on merchandising alone. With the DVD sales easily topping 100 million that's a 200 million dollar profit even if the global box office was sucked up by production costs and marketing. That on top of it being a quality movie should insure it getting a sequel. Maybe they'll even think about launching it at a more opportune time this time around.

BTW Daredevil was a dud because it sucked ass. It was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen (thanks in large part to Assfleck). They should be greatfull if it did indeed break even and apologize to comic fans everywhere for ripping them off.

And that's my take
Merchandising is licenced out and a completely different area and department though, as are dvd/tv/cable sales actually. That's why these factors are usually given little consideration in regards to whether a film is a hit and/or profitable. Blame Hollywood accounting.

And you may not have seen much ratchet, but the advertising budget on this one was reportedly bigger than that of the first Hulk. Of course it's also been five years between films, so a large part of that may have been swallowed up by economic factors/inflation, leading to less bang for their buck, I dunno...
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #127
jesseawilson
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Merchandising is licenced out and a completely different area and department though, as are dvd/tv/cable sales actually. That's why these factors are usually given little consideration in regards to whether a film is a hit and/or profitable. Blame Hollywood accounting.

And you may not have seen much ratchet, but the advertising budget on this one was reportedly bigger than that of the first Hulk. Of course it's also been five years between films, so a large part of that may have been swallowed up by economic factors/inflation, leading to less bang for their buck, I dunno...

$ is $ and there is no merchandising or DVD sales without the movie being released in the first place. That being said I am sure what they care about is the balance of their bank account at the end of the day.
jesseawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #128
Hulk5150
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2K4 View Post
couldnt care less....

star wars anyone?
Well, hey...thanks for letting us know.

*whew*

*goes to sleep, finally, like a baby*
Hulk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #129
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
There is no way the Incredible Hulk had the same advertising budget as the first - the first Hulk was EVERYWHERE - this one... not so much. I hardly saw a commercial till almost a week before!
I think I saw about 3 commercials all summer long and that's including the trailer infront of iron man
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #130
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

if the unpainted one is the statue goin into production, I may get this
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote