Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #121
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Because maybe with the exception of "helmet head" Emma Frost, they can do no wrong.
Speaking of Emma Frost, in my opinion, even the cartoonished face premium format is a much better statue than these DC Cover Girls. I honestly don't think DC can compare with Sideshow in overall statue quality.

carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #122
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj View Post
I think this all depends on your setup. If you have a lot of Bowen, Sideshow and 1:1 sculpts, then these tiny DC statues will not get noticed in a display.

All compliments I receive when people visit are for the large statues and hardly anyone notices or like the small statues.

Personally, I prefer large scale statues, since they give off that museum high quality display, while the small statues look like action figures. I know, because I've had some people pick them up like toys, but they lay off the big boys, because as they say "they look expensive".

I collect them all, so I'm not hating on these DC sculpts, but overall, I think they are too small.
Also, the area you have to display it in plays a big part too. If you have a basement or large area to dedicate to the larger pieces, a display could be very nicely done. If your limited to a medium-sized room with Detolfs a 1:1 busts displayed in the middle of the room, it could look very overcrowded.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #123
carrillj

Quote:
Also, the area you have to display it in plays a big part too. If you have a basement or large area to dedicate to the larger pieces, a display could be very nicely done. If your limited to a medium-sized room with Detolfs a 1:1 busts displayed in the middle of the room, it could look very overcrowded.
All true. It's really about how the display is set up (cabinets, shelves, etc) and the amount of room set aside for it. Small room, smaller scale, and vice versa.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #124
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Speaking of Emma Frost, in my opinion, even the cartoonished face premium format is a much better statue than these DC Cover Girls. I honestly don't think DC can compare with Sideshow in overall statue quality.

Each to their own, I suppose. This Emma is a diasater, IMO. The face reminds me of one of those Living Dead Dolls.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #125
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
All true. It's really about how the display is set up (cabinets, shelves, etc) and the amount of room set aside for it. Small room, smaller scale, and vice versa.
Some folks on this forum have posted some very insane collections and entire floors dedicated to their collections of larger scale pieces. I just wish I had an understanding wife that would agree to let me take over a basement or over a garage "bonus" room.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #126
carrillj

Quote:
Each to their own, I suppose. This Emma is a diasater, IMO. The face reminds me of one of those Living Dead Dolls.
That how I saw it when it was put up for pre-order, but loved it when I seen it in person. Even my photo can't show how great this statue is. It's a real looker and one that my wife said was great (and she dislikes my collection). But your right this version is not for everyone, but then again what statue is?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #127
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I wonder if DC Direct actually told Adam Hughes why they weren't using his submitted sketch. I do think there is something really iffy going on with DC Direct. It seems like Supergirl is the last statue that they want to do. Who knows the reason. They don't want Sideshow to do their characters either it seems. Someone posted an image of a DC Direct Hughes statue with Sideshow Hughes White Queen in the background. The difference in scale and detail on the Sideshow was really striking. I want a really good Batgirl statue and Hughes gave the design. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we are getting it this time...
You have to remember that there is a huge difference in scale between the two lines. Of course the Sideshow statue will have more detail, it is at least three times larger. With the scale the DC Direct girls are in they have plenty of detail.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #128
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
That how I saw it when it was put up for pre-order, but loved it when I seen it in person. Even my photo can't show how great this statue is. It's a real looker and one that my wife said was great (and she dislikes my collection). But your right this version is not for everyone, but then again what statue is?
That's true.

I felt that way about X-23 until I got her in hand.

So to stay on topic, I think that everyone should reserve judgment until Babs is released. That's what I'm doing with the "Little Debbie" DC Dynamics Supergirl variant.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #129
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Me too actually...I can't stand piece that are simply too big and distracting for me to display effectively.

The ideal size for me is the Bowen 1/7 scale, but the DCD 1/6 is a close second.
Not to mention the fact that DCD's pieces do a much better job at capturing Hughes' style than SS. MJ anyone?
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #130
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Not to mention the fact that DCD's pieces do a much better job at capturing Hughes' style than SS. MJ anyone?
MJ is one example. I don't think there is anything wrong with Sideshows AH girls. I own both of these lines and I wouldn't say one is any better than the other.

But, like I said before, Poison Ivy kind of started my disinterest. We know DC can capture the Hughes style well, but they fell short on PI, a character I was really really looking forward to. Even if PI would have been a better representation of Hughes original work, Batgirl would have probably stopped this line for me. She looks good, painted well, sculpt is awesome, I just don't feel that she fits in with her fellow DC sisters. If they would have worked humor into the other five girls, it would be fine.

I have to admit, I am all about size though and I really love Sideshow's PFs, so I have decided to sell my Cover Girls and put that money towards my 1/4 scale ladies.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote