Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #1381
Enforcer
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Sure isn't. I feel so bad for everyone saying how great this is gonna be. It's so great to have $1300 taken from them to be given shotty chinese work in return.

What they really mean is, it's all that's available and sure will look prettier than a $100 NECA 1/4 Predator! So that makes it worth the $1300!

._.

Collectors are such an easy target for collectible companies. They are ready and willing to be parted with their money.

I would love to find out the truth. What this will cost to produce, what their profit will be, all the extra fees thrown on top of the price that we end up paying for so they don't have to take the hit, and which factories they passed on(to pocket more money for themselves) that could have done a superior job for slightly more money out of their targeted $1250 price which was probably encased in stone long before the statue came up for pre-order. I'd love to know if we should be eating our own crap or if SS should feel ashamed of itself for price gouging. But I'm not holding my breath...mainly because it's impossible to confirm information so it's rather pointless to inform us.

The least they could have done to all these future P1 owners while taking their money was give them a properly scaled bio mask, or increase the size of the body. Whatever. Either way it's messed up: Oversized head or undersized body. Take your pick. But I am still LOLing at everyone making a massive fuss over that leg armor while being ok with a bobblehead predator. SMH.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #1382
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

That's a good point.

If pre-orders are disappointing, resulting in ower ES than they hoped, do they cut back on production costs... Even more than they already do?
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #1383
Planeswalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

It would be cool if the shoulder cannon was able to be removed so you could have him in the full fighting Dutch look. Not sure how I would display him as is. I love the bio look but the face sculpt looks incredible.
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #1384
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
I think it is so hilarious watching people talk about this is going to look really good if displayed from one very specific position. As if the rest of the statue, other than the one angle is will look acceptable in, can be disregarded, at $1,250.
It's the typical Sideshow apologist excuse for a garbage release...even a garbage unveiling. Their Hulk PF's Grand Canyon neck seam comes to mind.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #1385
azurepred
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
I think it is so hilarious watching people talk about this is going to look really good if displayed from one very specific position. As if the rest of the statue, other than the one angle is will look acceptable in, can be disregarded, at $1,250.

There are so many of the P2 City Hunters on eBay right now. Some of them up to double the original price. Just a couple of weeks ago there was an EX listed for the original price of $1,200. It received one bid just before the end of the auction. I have been watching the rest of them sit there stagnantly or coming down a few dollars each time it is re-listed.

While there is a lot of demand for Predator statues, this goes to show that there isn't so much demand for Predator statues done poorly.
yep, you can still get the P2 for around retail, and I'd bet SS will have some left too. I don't foresee this one being much different. It's a shame Prime hasn't gotten this license.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #1386
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Sure isn't. I feel so bad for everyone saying how great this is gonna be. It's so great to have $1300 taken from them to be given shotty chinese work in return.

What they really mean is, it's all that's available and sure will look prettier than a $100 NECA 1/4 Predator! So that makes it worth the $1300!

._.

Collectors are such an easy target for collectible companies. They are ready and willing to be parted with their money.

I would love to find out the truth. What this will cost to produce, what their profit will be, all the extra fees thrown on top of the price that we end up paying for so they don't have to take the hit, and which factories they passed on(to pocket more money for themselves) that could have done a superior job for slightly more money out of their targeted $1250 price which was probably encased in stone long before the statue came up for pre-order. I'd love to know if we should be eating our own crap or if SS should feel ashamed of itself for price gouging. But I'm not holding my breath...mainly because it's impossible to confirm information so it's rather pointless to inform us.

The least they could have done to all these future P1 owners while taking their money was give them a properly scaled bio mask, or increase the size of the body. Whatever. Either way it's messed up: Oversized head or undersized body. Take your pick. But I am still LOLing at everyone making a massive fuss over that leg armor while being ok with a bobblehead predator. SMH.
Well you've just made a whole heap of baseless assumptions there to fit your little negative narrative. The only thing missing is any 'actual knowledge' about how Sideshow operates as a business.

If you really want to know how it all works, go and start a collectibles company. That should give you a pretty good idea. Otherwise you are basically talking crap.

Quote:

There are so many of the P2 City Hunters on eBay right now. Some of them up to double the original price. Just a couple of weeks ago there was an EX listed for the original price of $1,200. It received one bid just before the end of the auction. I have been watching the rest of them sit there stagnantly or coming down a few dollars each time it is re-listed.

While there is a lot of demand for Predator statues, this goes to show that there isn't so much demand for Predator statues done poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
It's the typical Sideshow apologist excuse for a garbage release...even a garbage unveiling. Their Hulk PF's Grand Canyon neck seam comes to mind.
You guys have made it pretty clear you don't like this piece and obviously you won't be ordering so I don't understand the need to keep posting the same negative remarks ad nauseam.

Just because some of you guys have problems with the design / screen accuracy doesn't mean you can belittle someone else who still happens to like it.

And for the record, I'm neither a Sideshow apologist nor am I a fanboy. In fact I've haven't ordered anything from SS in years. But I seriously wonder if some of you guys even enjoy this hobby at all ?
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:45 AM   #1387
Deadpooly07
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

[QUOTE=jaguargod;5347662]I think it is so hilarious watching people talk about this is going to look really good if displayed from one very specific position. As if the rest of the statue, other than the one angle is will look acceptable in, can be disregarded, at $1,250.

While there is a lot of demand for Predator statues, this goes to show that there isn't so much demand for Predator statues done poorly

I don't think ex's are always getting great return on re sale as sideshow uses tbd before making final production number releases... It's sad the ex use be something special jump on board pre order day 1 or miss out now just another waiting game to see the production number released months later
Deadpooly07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #1388
Planeswalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

This will be a winner all around! People have been waiting for a 1:4 Predator statue since the original was released a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Too bad there aren't many YouTube videos of it.
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #1389
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Someone forwarded this to me last night.

As regards (at least) Sideshow's Predator & Alien pieces, the differences between marketing and reality are quite stark when you view their linkedin page . . . true for lots of companies I'm sure, but made me smile

https://www.linkedin.com/company/sid...trk=ppro_cprof

"Sideshow® is a specialty manufacturer of licensed and proprietary collectible products. With Sideshow's dedication to accuracy and artistry, these products reflect a passion for creating unique, highly sought after figure collectibles, as well as film prop replicas and fine art pieces. Sideshow artisans are renowned sculptors, experienced model makers, painters and costumers whose combined efforts result in the creation of outstanding original designs and intricately detailed likenesses of pop culture icons, including film and television monsters, villains, heroes, mystical creatures of fantasy, and legendary figures from history. This talented team of artists is regularly distinguished for achieving a level of authenticity seldom seen in the figure collectible arena. Recognized as a quality manufacturer, Sideshow has been highlighted in national trade and specialty toy publications where its collectible 12-inch figures and polystone statues have been awarded 'Best of the Year.' "

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #1390
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

If anyone is in this forum then they know by now that Sideshow likes to put artistic interpretation in front of accuracy. Sometimes that is great as it produces wonderful statues when they let their imagination go wild. Other times not so much.

I find it interesting how fans are more forgiving when it comes to comics or even Star Wars statues. However, when it comes to Aliens/Predators/Terminators things get real really fast with the accuracy police. If anyone is looking for accuracy then Sideshow is not the place for it. It's like comparing props from the RPF to what Sideshow puts out. Super accuracy is not Sideshow's forte so why torture yourselves? why expect intricate paint jobs for something like a Predator which must be hard as hell to mass produce accurately?

Something that looks good enough to the average non-hardcore fan is where Sideshow shines. Also, trying to offer feedback on accuracy to them may be a bit pointless. I am sure they already worked out with the factory what margin of error they are willing to accept. Chances are it is higher than what many hardcore fans would be happy with.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote