Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #131
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
Try this one: www.familywatchdog.us

You can also check your local police department and sheriff's office websites.

I looked at this for an 2 hours last night. I checked my neighborhood, parents, aunts & uncles and some friends. I was shocked! I couln't believe how many were in and around the areas.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #132
stoneindian
Sculptor
Sculptor

I found out some more about this case from some people the live in Koxville. Apparently the boy that was killed was heavily into drugs and owed a big drug debt. Makes a little more since now, I thought the 5 just pick the couple for the heck of it to kill them. Yet another reason not to get involved with drugs or drug dealers. And it makes more since why it didn't make the big news stations.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #133
metfan923
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

i just read about that albert fish... wow, im surprised ive never heard of him before. and i didnt even know about the two college students who were kidnapped... just makes me angry...
metfan923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #134
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneindian View Post
I found out some more about this case from some people the live in Koxville. Apparently the boy that was killed was heavily into drugs and owed a big drug debt. Makes a little more since now, I thought the 5 just pick the couple for the heck of it to kill them. Yet another reason not to get involved with drugs or drug dealers. And it makes more since why it didn't make the big news stations.
If drugs were involved, it does seem to change the flavor of this topic. That fact doesn't make the crime any less hideous, but does that still mean the media is biased and involved in a huge coverup? I'm curious to see some other reactions.

My opinion is that having facts is always a good thing in forming opinions.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #135
rilynil

And it should be pointed out that the drug angle may not be accurate as well. I did a quick search through some Knoxville reports online and didn't find anything about drugs mentioned. I could have missed something though.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #136
stoneindian
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
And it should be pointed out that the drug angle may not be accurate as well. I did a quick search through some Knoxville reports online and didn't find anything about drugs mentioned. I could have missed something though.
We can wait and see, but I trust my source over what you will find on the web right now. Got some inside info. Nuff Said.

I do agree in any situation all the facts need to be inplace before one develops an opinion.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #137
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
Try this one: www.familywatchdog.us

You can also check your local police department and sheriff's office websites.
mine has 3 or 4
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #138
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

Punch up the Bronx, 10468, or another 104##. And Coca & Boonie's house show up.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #139
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYCOMICMAN View Post
Punch up the Bronx, 10468, or another 104##. And Coca & Boonie's house show up.
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #140
rilynil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneindian View Post
We can wait and see, but I trust my source over what you will find on the web right now. Got some inside info. Nuff Said.

I do agree in any situation all the facts need to be inplace before one develops an opinion.
After thinking about it a bit, here's what I think may be happening, going on the idea that drugs may have been involved (please keep in mind that this is only a theory that might explain why the Knoxville murders aren't a national story):

The local police may have known for weeks about the drug connection but would not tell local media on the record. OFF the record, the local media may know the story behind the story but can't print it because no sources are on the record. The state Associated Press is likely to have made calls to the Knoxville newspapers about the story and was informed that this hideous crime may have been committed in retaliation for unpaid drug debts. Some may argue that this doesn't make a difference. Some would disagree. In any event, the story may not have been sent to the national Associated Press offices, and that's why the Washington Post, New York Times and other major newspapers may not be running stories on it.

All this time, inaccurate details of the crime are spread through the Internet by folks who have focussed only on the racial aspects of the case. Thus, cries of "The media is biased!!!!" "Where's Al Sharpton now!?!" "This is why every citizen should be armed!" and countless other exclamations are based on incomplete facts.

In my opinion, this initial story strikes home so hard for some people because it seems that two average white kids were taken, tortured and murdered by a group of black men without provocation. Yes, what happened to the dead couple is nightmarish almost beyond belief. But the possible drug angle would suggest that maybe this is not a case of the criminal element striking at random against the general public. Maybe these two young members of the public foolishly became involved with a very dangerous sector of the criminal element. Does this mean that the young couple got what they deserved? Not at all. But it does suggest that they had a hand in their fate.

As someone else posted early in this thread, not all crimes are newsworthy on a national level. As that previous poster said, things similar to this happen all the time (granted, maybe not to the level of this case's violence). Certainly, organizations such as the Mafia have disposed of people for decades upon decades in hideous ways as well. It doesn't make it right, but it's best not stray too close to the lion's cage if you don't want to get eaten, correct?

Certainly, this crime is hellish. Whoever killed this young couple in such a monstrous way deserves to be punished to the full extent of the law. But if indeed there were huge drug debts that helped sparked this crime, there are no grounds for people to start screaming about the "liberal" and "biased" media.

As I've admitted before, the media certainly can make mistakes. But much more often, the media are better informed than Internet armchair quarterbacks wailing away as if they know exactly what they're talking about.