Old 12-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #131
aaronica
The Avengers

The Bowen one still rules
aaronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #132
SONICobra
Batman

sinister is one of the last five characters i would buy before retiring and this is a complete miss for me. i honestly dont like anything about it, the base seems well executed but very colorful and not what i would want to pair with this character

this sinister sculpted by Paul Harding is what i would want

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #133
Mister H
Ultimates

No thanks. Now, on to the next disappointment.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #134
aaronica
The Avengers

Looks like he is going to break out into a song and dance routine
aaronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #135
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Well the reception from the Sinister fans is coming in as I expected - wanting the vintage, less silly version.
Given that SS and XM seem to do characters close together, I wouldn't be surprised if a Sinister was in the works by Sideshow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I could get over the non-classic costume if the base were good. But, I'll be very surprised if most Mr. Sinister fans are "damn pleased," with a statue of him welcoming you to his world of pink crystals, pumpkins and flowers.

This Mr. Sinister fan is not happy with this and will not be buying, and I've waited for a licensed Mr. Sinister for a very long time.

To anyone who likes this Sinister: The Hidden World edition, congrats.
Having read the latest X-Books I think XM landed on the Sinister they were inspired by, but I agree it's not the Sinister long-time fans wanted. Also, I want to clarify something. When looking at a statue, I always judge the body separate from the base because to me, the base in ancillary. Nobody is buying a statue if the base is awesome, but the character is atrocious. So in terms of Sinister himself, I would be "damned pleased" if I was a fan.

Also, because this is from the Dawn of X/Krakoa storylines the base is fine. A very creative painted could tone down/change the colors and make this a Savageland base.

Wasn't there a fourth portrait with this statue? A classic (aka no mutton chops) with no smile? Maybe I'm imaging that

There is a YouTube video up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktSLs8k9x0
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #136
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronica View Post
Looks like he is going to break out into a song and dance routine
Given his more flamboyant persona in the comics in the past several years, you're not wrong in your assessment.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #137
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Well the reception from the Sinister fans is coming in as I expected - wanting the vintage, less silly version.
Given that SS and XM seem to do characters close together, I wouldn't be surprised if a Sinister was in the works by Sideshow.

Having read the latest X-Books I think XM landed on the Sinister they were inspired by, but I agree it's not the Sinister long-time fans wanted. Also, I want to clarify something. When looking at a statue, I always judge the body separate from the base because to me, the base in ancillary. Nobody is buying a statue if the base is awesome, but the character is atrocious. So in terms of Sinister himself, I would be "damned pleased" if I was a fan.

Also, because this is from the Dawn of X/Krakoa storylines the base is fine. A very creative painted could tone down/change the colors and make this a Savageland base.

Wasn't there a fourth portrait with this statue? A classic (aka no mutton chops) with no smile? Maybe I'm imaging that

There is a YouTube video up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktSLs8k9x0
That is fine, but there are plenty of people who will pass on a statue just because of the base. So, while you're not going into a statue just because of the base, it absolutely can be a detractor. Here you've already seen 5-6 replies from Mr. Sinister fans and none of them like this or are willing to buy it. So, there's a problem.

The more I think about this, the more this reminds me of the current situation in Hollywood of taking a beloved franchise and completely ruining it by changing what people loved about it in the first place. Then, if you don't like it, you're a hater
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #138
Demona
Martian Manhunter

But that's the thing. In this instance, I don't think XM ruined anything. Shocking - I know - since they tend to go totally left on designs and can ruin stuff. For this statue, they nailed the current comic version of Sinister while still adding their XM outfit flair.

Problem is, like we agree on, a lot of collectors want the classic Sinister. Not Sinister that is presently in the comics because he does seem to have done a 180 in his personality.

Just putting it out there - if the can so this well on the current comic version of Sinister, I'm kinda excited to see a Krakoa inspired Storm.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #139
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

That analogy was more directed to what Marvel did with Sinister as opposed to what XM did with him. XM just got stuck doing it in statue form. My guess is Marvel made them do this, because I doubt XM themselves thought this is what Sinister fans want. I think they're going to have a tough time selling this piece.

Anyways, I'll bow out of this thread. I don't wanna ruin it for the 2 people that like this.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #140
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronica View Post
The Bowen one still rules
Agree, better representation, just need it in 1/4th scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
No thanks. Now, on to the next disappointment.
Well not very optimistic lol, but being in the game along time it is harder to wow folks.

Issues i have with it

- Color scheme looks awful on the outfit
- Portrait is trash (but xm always has an issue with portraits)
- "Come at me bro" pose looks awkward

Ya i would have wanted a more classic representation than this, I give XM credit for trying to do other characters. But they really need to up there game on portraits.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote