Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #1431
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

This series often dealt with a wide range of topical social issues such as racism, homophobia, drug addiction, disabilities, child abuse, illegal immigrants, and sexual harassment. The show was set in Upstate New York. The show's star had a couple of "things" in his future, but first achieved critical acclaim in another series where his character worked in the same industry but had a much grittier edge.

Name the series, the star, the next series referenced and the things in his future.
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #1432
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruze View Post
This series often dealt with a wide range of topical social issues such as racism, homophobia, drug addiction, disabilities, child abuse, illegal immigrants, and sexual harassment. The show was set in Upstate New York. The show's star had a couple of "things" in his future, but first achieved critical acclaim in another series where his character worked in the same industry but had a much grittier edge.

Name the series, the star, the next series referenced and the things in his future.

I think you are referring to Micheal Chiklis in his role in either the Commish or Shield, both fine shows. The two "Things" in his future were when he played the Thing in both the original "Fantastic Four" and "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer"
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 AM   #1433
Teague
Iron Man

Gotta be Chiklis, but I didn't watch either one of those shows much (good though they were). Based on the question, though, I bet it's The Commish; The Shield is the show with the grittier edge, for sure.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 AM   #1434
Batwing
Cobra Command

But neither were based in upstate New York. "The Shield" was set in Los Angeles, and "The Commish" in some small town--in New Jersey???

It has to be Chiklis, I agree.
Batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #1435
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
But neither were based in upstate New York. "The Shield" was set in Los Angeles, and "The Commish" in some small town--in New Jersey???

It has to be Chiklis, I agree.
Good point--I didn't know that because I really haven't watched Shield. Maybe Pablo mistook NJ for NY?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #1436
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Good point--I didn't know that because I really haven't watched Shield. Maybe Pablo mistook NJ for NY?
he also played John belushi in Wired a good movie.
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #1437
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Teddie was first with some of the answer, Teague was next with part of the answer...

Batwing war wrong according to Wikpedia:

"Although set in Upstate New York town in the fictional town of Eastbridge, the show was filmed in and around Vancouver, British Columbia."

or Wikpedia was wrong according to Batwing.

So I guess Teddie Novak is up!!!

Good job guys!
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #1438
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

OK this made for TV miniseries came to life in a sort of backwards fashion. The tale was first developed under a different title for a feature film that was to star John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart (what a cast that would have been!) in 1972, but plans fell through. The writer took the screenplay and wrote a full length novel from it which became a best seller and won a pullitzer prize for fiction in the 1980's. Once the miniseries was complete it won 6 emmies and was nominated for 13 others.

Name the miniseries show, the writer/author, and for extra credit, name the three sequels that followed it.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #1439
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
OK this made for TV miniseries came to life in a sort of backwards fashion. The tale was first developed under a different title for a feature film that was to star John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart (what a cast that would have been!) in 1972, but plans fell through. The writer took the screenplay and wrote a full length novel from it which became a best seller and won a pullitzer prize for fiction in the 1980's. Once the miniseries was complete it won 6 emmies and was nominated for 13 others.

Name the miniseries show, the writer/author, and for extra credit, name the three sequels that followed it.
Hee. I only know this off the top of my head because I watched it over the weekend, and this was actually the trivia question at the break.

You're talking about Lonesome Dove, written (both novel and screenplay) by Larry McMurtry. It was so successful that mini-series were made of its sequels, Streets of Laredo and Comanche Moon, as well as a regular TV show called Lonesome Dove: The Series, which followed Newt as a grown man in Ogalala.

Interesting bit of trivia: My mom and stepdad were invited to the set and wrap party of Lonesome Dove. Somewhere out there is a picture of my mom sitting in Rick Schroeder's lap. How's that for therapy-inducing?
superdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #1440
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
OK this made for TV miniseries came to life in a sort of backwards fashion. The tale was first developed under a different title for a feature film that was to star John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart (what a cast that would have been!) in 1972, but plans fell through.
Damn, what a movie that would have been! Too bad...great story, and with that cast? Would have been legendary.