Yeah and often in "gun free zones".

What good did that law do?
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #142
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
  • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
  • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
So obviously not EVERY handgun or shotgun. Why is this so hard to accept as a compromise? Does it have to be all or nothing either way?
People seem to have forgotten how to compromise - they seem to feel giving even an inch is losing the battle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Wasn't the guns used in this tragedy owned by a teacher and not a criminal?
I thought it was a rumor that she was a teacher?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #143
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post

Your attempted point has nothing to do with the question that was asked, sooo?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #144
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

People speed even though we have speed limit signs. I guess we should just get rid of all speed limits.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #145
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
that is your opinion and since these are rare instances, we should just ignore them. I am sure the parents of the victims are good with this.

you're right, why bother trying, I am sure that will help things.

As opposed to the NRA suggestion of having armed guards in every school which would soon turn into armed guards everywhere turning this into a military rule state, sounds like my rights going away there.

What tyranny exactly are you defending against?

As mentioned many many many times, most of these types of crimes are not done by people who had previous criminal experience.

No one is saying this is the only answer. The problem is very large and takes a lot of discussion. There are other things that need to be addressed, like address mental issues but gun control can only help. How are assault rifles helping?

How is safety training going to prevent anything like we are talking about from happening.

OK, don't put words in my mouth> I never said ignore them or why bother. I put forth all sorts of solutions and talk about the core problem, my piont is if you do not do that, and keep blaming inanimate objects, there will never be improvement. Bad things happen sometimes, you can only do so much. Two kids were knived in the chest in a theater the other day.

As for armed guards, I don't even think we need that,
but it's safe to say "gun free zones" do not work.
A few armed and trained volunteers from folks that alreayd work there should have access to secure firearms just like people have access to CPR tools or fire extinguishers.

WHy do we accept that guns are ok to protect everything from money, the POTUS, a court house down to a liquor store and not percious children??? It's not logical.

Tyranny from government, the founding fathers were very wise to understand that you must have checks and balances on power as with POTUS, congress, and judicial branches, They knew that if you let the tools of tyrants be put in place, sooner or later someone will abuse them. Often the excuse for curtaling liberties is the common good and promises of security. It is neither.
That is why the 2nd amdndment is right after the 1st.
Make no mistake on that. Again checks and balances, an armed populace is not as easy to just roll over. There will be a cost, it also serves as a reminder to those that might be ordered to do the rolling over on their fellow citizens.

As for no prior crimes...
As I have mentioned several times, there were serious mental health warning signs that clearly went unheeded. We need to look at ways for family to get quick help for those that need it and have access to that help. And yes, for the tiny fraction of gun owners that are not safe with their weapons, they should be kept secure. That is also an area where the NRA can help with more public education. We do the same things for DUI don't we? But we don't take cares away.
A national hotline would be a good idea.

So talking is good, and a national awareness program for these issues would have prevented this without additonal laws.

Again... "assualt rifles" are military weapons that require FULL auto to be an "assault rifle". That is a specefic defintion. Few own these without a great deal of licensing and scrutiny.

We are talking about semi-auto rifles and these have been in the hands of the public for a very long time now. The AR platform is the top most popular rifle.

So to ask "How are assualt rifles helping?" is an inaccurate question.

How would a semi-auto rifle have helped that day to defend those poor defenesless children and teachers in the hands of a trained employee would have helped without question and ended it much sooner then waiting for the cops to arrive.

When seconds matter, the police are minutes away.

WE are the first responders to our own security.

Also what good would it be if criminals obeyed the law to use only ten round magazines if nobody is there to stop them anyways?

The abuse of a firearm to use as a murder weapon is at the end of a long chain of societal failures we must address.

Sadly I doubt that will happen to any effective level. Blame the inanimate object instead will prevail.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #146
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
And as for the criminals, I agree we are much too lenient. Anyone found guilty of murder, walk them out of the court room and shoot them. Keeping them in jail for life is much more cruel and unusual punishment than execution. Thieves, robbers, rapists should all be shot. I'm tired of spending taxpayer money on their health care, bed and board, etc.

The argument that if it only prevents one...
Well we know we can make a very long list of things that are abused to use as murder weapons by criminals that if we banned or limited would meet that critera easily. Knives, ice picks, screw drivers... water deeper then a foot, cars can easly kill dozens if you hit a crowd. So that rationale isn't realistic or logical.

Changing the bill of rights is not without consequence, though I think it would be massively unlikely, it has bene extremely rare. Again the Heller case decision by the SCOTUS says we have that right.
Not to mention you would be risking armed uprising if you tried. no question. Not worth civil war over.

You take away the right to keep and bear arms you have removed a MASSIVE check and balance on power.
This is frightenig that anyone would consider that.
Liberty can be taken away. That is why they are called liberties in the first place. Someone always will want to limit or remove them.

Please understand this, this is critical...
It's not that I think the nation is headed towards tyranny, it's the check and balance on it that the 2nd amendment guarantees. You can understand that right?

I'm not arguing some stupid paranoid concern. I am recognizing the power of an armed populace and it's deterrent on tyranny. We can follow the seeds of this all the way back to ancient Greece. Freedom and being armed go hand in hand.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #147
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
As for armed guards, I don't even think we need that,
but it's safe to say "gun free zones" do not work.
How is it safe to say that at all? Did the people who did these crimes say they did them in a gun free zone on purpose? That is a pure 100% opinion of you and not fact driven at all.

Quote:
How would a semi-auto rifle have helped that day to defend those poor defenesless children and teachers in the hands of a trained employee would have helped without question and ended it much sooner then waiting for the cops to arrive.

When seconds matter, the police are minutes away.

WE are the first responders to our own security.

Also what good would it be if criminals obeyed the law to use only ten round magazines if nobody is there to stop them anyways?
By this logic, then you are suggesting we should have guns everywhere. This tragedy has occured at other institutions besides schools so by your rational, we should have guns everywhere. Sounds like a scary world to me. And we have had these types of incidents that had security there, one at a high school and one at Virginia Tech.

Quote:

The abuse of a firearm to use as a murder weapon is at the end of a long chain of societal failures we must address.

Sadly I doubt that will happen to any effective level. Blame the inanimate object instead will prevail.
again, gun control is just one part of the puzzle it is not the entire answer. I have said this many times but the way you answer it sounds like I am suggesting that gun control is the only answer.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #148
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
You take away the right to keep and bear arms you have removed a MASSIVE check and balance on power.
This is frightenig that anyone would consider that.
Liberty can be taken away. That is why they are called liberties in the first place. Someone always will want to limit or remove them.

Please understand this, this is critical...
It's not that I think the nation is headed towards tyranny, it's the check and balance on it that the 2nd amendment guarantees. You can understand that right?

I'm not arguing some stupid paranoid concern. I am recognizing the power of an armed populace and it's deterrent on tyranny. We can follow the seeds of this all the way back to ancient Greece. Freedom and being armed go hand in hand.
This goes to Bags' comment earlier, no one is suggesting that we take a way all guns so why do you keep implying that?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #149
dr_teng

Quote:
As for no prior crimes...
As I have mentioned several times, there were serious mental health warning signs that clearly went unheeded. We need to look at ways for family to get quick help for those that need it and have access to that help. And yes, for the tiny fraction of gun owners that are not safe with their weapons, they should be kept secure. That is also an area where the NRA can help with more public education. We do the same things for DUI don't we? But we don't take cares away.
A national hotline would be a good idea.
Since the NRA has lobbied and successfully had laws passed that made it easier for people with mental health issues to acquire guns, they don't seem terribly interested in addressing mental health issues beyond viewing people with issues as a potential market.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #150
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
How is it safe to say that at all? Did the people who did these crimes say they did them in a gun free zone on purpose? That is a pure 100% opinion of you and not fact driven at all.

By this logic, then you are suggesting we should have guns everywhere. This tragedy has occured at other institutions besides schools so by your rational, we should have guns everywhere. Sounds like a scary world to me. And we have had these types of incidents that had security there, one at a high school and one at Virginia Tech.

again, gun control is just one part of the puzzle it is not the entire answer. I have said this many times but the way you answer it sounds like I am suggesting that gun control is the only answer.

Guns are all around you everyday.
You just are not noticing them protecting you.
If you live in a state that allows concealed carry for general self protection and most do, you are assuredly around firearms all the time already. And yet, you've been safe.

Again, these killers went to theaters, schools, places they knew that resistance would be little, they didn't choose a gun store, a police station, or even a sporting event where there are armed guards. They chose a place were people are percieved to be the most easy to kill.

They need to learn there is NO easy place to kill. And firearms in law abiding good guys hands do that.

Again, the Oregon mall murderer offed himself when he saw an armed citizen was there.

It's not just guns that can be used as weapon to kill.
You have to get passed that, even if we beamed every gun off this planet, you still need to be able to stop killers quick. They will adapt and find new weapons, it's just criminal nature But trained citizen with a firearm can stop a killer, and do.

Again, when seconds count, the police are minutes away. THere is no escaping that fact.

Irratational Hoplophobia (fear of weapons) is not a solution.
It's time to start thinking out of the box and the core problems that bring about these rare instances and the larger sadly common ones we live with each day that get of course no media attention though many more die.