Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #141
Grog
SF Minister of Etiquette and Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I don't want to steal Grog's thunder but was purusing the interweb and I think this may be one photo of Arahom's original paint work? Still want to see Grog's pics though.

this is it. I have the piece boxed up but when I get time I will open him up and take some pics. Kind of busy with work right now
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #142
travis
A.I.M.

travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #143
travis
A.I.M.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #144
travis
A.I.M.

added Tamiya flat flesh and for muscle definition brown...I prefer the skin with a clean(non Bloody) look...its getting there...lots more work here needed...I wanna finish his head today...eyes are gonna become blue I think...When I get the painting bug its a sickness...no airbrush,just regular brushes used as always for me
Old 05-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #145
travis
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
this is it. I have the piece boxed up but when I get time I will open him up and take some pics. Kind of busy with work right now
Grats for owning the prototype
Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #146
jmsmith3388
The Avengers

Helmet looks great Travis. I am on the other side of the fence when it comes to the blood....the more the better
jmsmith3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #147
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsmith3388 View Post
There is just something about this piece that I do not like, just not sure exactly what that is.
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, I love the piece but when I saw it being sculpted I thought it might be one of my all time favorites. I ordered it but here are the things that bothered me about the final piece in order of importance.

1. The legs: They appear too short to me for the body and the pose is odd postion I think. Also not a huge fan of the sand volleyball style knee pads.

2. The eyes: The final painted version seems to have really dead eyes to me. They should be blue at a minimum but worse they don't look realistic at all. Here is an example (admittedly by a pro but still what can be done)

This is a fabulous example I know and a little bigger but I have had 1/6 scale models painted and they were able to get a similar effect or at least much better. Especially when you look at the unpainted sculpt eyes.

3. Monotone paint scheme. I get this is a factory paint up but there are popping veins in the sculpt that could be lightly highlighted blue, the beard is painted one color with no highlights whatsoever, the overall skin tone is more like a mannequin than realistic skin tone IMO, and even the metal could be more aged looking.

4. The boots: They look like modern snowmobile boots to me. I do like them better than the original fur slippers though, so this is a minimal complaint.

All this said I think the upper body is near perfect and I still love the piece and ARH and the things that they do. They are one of the few companies out there that makes the things I like.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #148
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I like the accenting and darkening of the recesses you did on the skin tone Travis, that is one example of what I was talking about when acheiving a more realistic skin tone.

Although to be fair, Arahom's original paint up has a lot of skin highlighting, just didn't seem to translate to the factory paint up, maybe because so few were sold and produced?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #149
travis
A.I.M.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #150
travis
A.I.M.