Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #141
Toulon89
Kindly Asked To Leave

Is it just me or the ice base looks really awkward in that angle?

I love the idea, but the execution seems iffy.
Toulon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #142
WickedlNl
Kindly Asked To Leave

Personally to me, the only bust worth above 1K is SS's Darth Vader LSB. That bust is so huge compared to any other one out there and has such a presence especially with a removable helmet, facemask and head. I dont think anyone here is screaming for a interactive base which will unfortunately remove the possibility of putting them inside a besta, it will be hard to find a proper cabinet with that height but hey thats just me. Darth Vader is simply just HUGE, so I get where the cash went.
WickedlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #143
Battletroll
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
The big sculpted bases add cost.
For me, personally, the base wouldn't have been necessary. It only adds to the costs and looks to be the most fragile part. The Life Size busts are impressive and big enough as they are.

Of course that's just my opinion, I can appreciate the appeal the base has to others.
Battletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #144
Atimantium
Hydra

Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of collecting something you don't care about and have never cared about Or even known about prior to collecting it?
I'm so confused. Is it about the art? Is it about having something that is nicely made that you know other people might want? Is it about having more than other people?

To me collecting was about acquiring items that have significant meaning to me.
Or is it just buying cool stuff?
If there was a $1,300 bust of Starlight (Star Brite's horse) would you people just buy it blindly?
Would you justify buying it by saying, "omg the paint app is so nice, it's got a light up base with theme song music, the details in the sculpt of the horse head are amazing. Look at how nice the rainbow hair is painted. It has a power adapter"
Maybe I'm disconnected from reality. I can't collect stuff unless I care about it. Do you guys have disposable incomes? $1,000 for a bust is a lot of money to spend on a character that has no connection to me in any way.
It's hard for me to understand how unimportant $1,000 is to some collectors. Maybe I don't make enough money to throw it around all willy nilly? I'm trying to get some answers here. What is the point of it when the item isn't important to you. I genuinely want to be educated. It's a point of view I can't understand. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Back to SUB-Zero.
This bust would be important to me. I just can't afford another $1,000 statue no matter how nice it is.
Good luck to the rest of you who love this character. Hopefully you can aquire one if you so desire.
Rest assured there will be 1 less person on PO day even though I wish I could join in the fun. This thing is awesome. It's getting me really pumped to see Scorpion next!
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #145
BurningRage
The Maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimantium View Post
Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of collecting something you don't care about and have never cared about Or even known about prior to collecting it?
I'm so confused. Is it about the art? Is it about having something that is nicely made that you know other people might want? Is it about having more than other people?

If there was a $1,300 bust of Starlight (Star Brite's horse) would you people just buy it blindly?
Would you justify buying it by saying, "omg the paint app is so nice, it's got a light up base with theme song music, the details in the sculpt of the horse head are amazing. Look at how nice the rainbow hair is painted. It has a power adapter"
Maybe I'm disconnected from reality. I can't collect stuff unless I care about it. Do you guys have disposable incomes? $1,000 for a bust is a lot of money to spend on a character that has no connection to me in any way.
It's hard for me to understand how unimportant $1,000 is to some collectors. Maybe I don't make enough money to throw it around all willy nilly? I'm trying to get some answers here. What is the point of it when the item isn't important to you. I genuinely want to be educated. It's a point of view I can't understand. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Back to SUB-Zero.
This bust would be important to me. I just can't afford another $1,000 statue no matter how nice it is.
Good luck to the rest of you who love this character. Hopefully you can aquire one if you so desire.
Rest assured there will be 1 less person on PO day even though I wish I could join in the fun. This thing is awesome. It's getting me really pumped to see Scorpion next!
There are collectors that just buy the pieces that get the most hype. There are collectors with a room full of comic book statues and never even read comics. A bunch of them couldn't even put the Power Girl pf's cape on correctly. There are also people with every single HT Iron Man figure that didn't know who he was before the movies.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #146
Moralsrbaseless
Kindly Asked To Leave

xx
Moralsrbaseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #147
qz33
Graviton

Quote:

Back to SUB-Zero.
Some people are a fan of statues in general.

Some pieces are awesome because of what they are and some because of only how they look.

My two favorite pieces are PCS's He-Man and their Akuma bust. I grew up with He-Man not so much with Akuma. If need be I'd glady trade the remainder of the PCS MOTU collection that I own for the Akuma bust.

Most often times it is a certain love at first sight depiction that intializes one to be a fan of comic, video game, cartoon, etc. characters to begin with.

People love Stinkor and he was a most requested character because his depiction was awesome. He had no appearance in the show to connect with.

I'm gonna guess this post was initiated in response to my comments on the Guyver bust. I didn't want it because I expected quality I, the Guyver bust is just awesome looking. The assurance from ECC's previous releases is what gave me confidence that I would be content spending so much on "something that's just awesome looking".
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #148
Atimantium
Hydra

Without singling you out, you brought the need for me to understand the logic of it because I read your post. However you alone, aren't the driving force for my curiosity.
I just wanted to understand how someone could spend so much money on a specific character sculpture with no emotional connection. I mean $1,000 is a lot of money. To me at least. Obviously it's cool looking. But why not collect figures of Hawks and foxes? Those things are cool too. These items are so specific.
Then I think, what if I had guests come to my house and in the corner there was this amazing Guyver bust. Most visitors would just be interested in the sculpture in general. It is striking and interesting. Definitely would stir up a conversation. So I get it. Then I say, how good of a conversation could it be if there is no knowledge of the character? Do you just rattle off the details of the edition size and production company then the conversation ends.
What else do you talk about when sharing it with people. The paint job. the production procedure?

This totally reads like I'm geek shaming you. That's not what I'm trying to do. I really am curious. I can't buy anything I don't care about so I'm trying to see how it's so easy when these things cost what they do.
I mean if they were $100 bucks I'd buy things for their artistic beauty too. Maybe I'm in the wrong tax bracket to understand $1,000 purchases that aren't "emotionally valuable". I don't really know how else to explain it.
Also I could be bitter because there's things I love that now cost a ton because people collect for different reasons than me. I don't know why I feel entitled to own something over someone who could care less about the character but I secretly do. I guess not so secretly anymore. It's definitely not fun to see the prices of these things rise to a level I can't afford. Part of that I'm sure is these specific characters have drawn some new collectors to the table.
Idk. I'm trying to make this not seem mean spirited. I'm sure it's not working. I appreciate your responses though. I apologize if you feel offended. A big part of me understands why you collect these things. I have so many myself. So we are the same in some respects.
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #149
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

I collect original comic book art. Mostly its pieces that meant something to me as a kid. But sometimes, its just a piece that I think is cool with no emotional connection.

Also, dont forget there are 11 million millionaires in the world.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #150
qz33
Graviton

Quote:
Without singling you out, you brought the need for me to understand the logic of it because I read your post. However you alone, aren't the driving force for my curiosity.
I just wanted to understand how someone could spend so much money on a specific character sculpture with no emotional connection. I mean $1,000 is a lot of money. To me at least. Obviously it's cool looking. But why not collect figures of Hawks and foxes? Those things are cool too. These items are so specific.
Then I think, what if I had guests come to my house and in the corner there was this amazing Guyver bust. Most visitors would just be interested in the sculpture in general. It is striking and interesting. Definitely would stir up a conversation. So I get it. Then I say, how good of a conversation could it be if there is no knowledge of the character? Do you just rattle off the details of the edition size and production company then the conversation ends.
What else do you talk about when sharing it with people. The paint job. the production procedure?

This totally reads like I'm geek shaming you. That's not what I'm trying to do. I really am curious. I can't buy anything I don't care about so I'm trying to see how it's so easy when these things cost what they do.
I mean if they were $100 bucks I'd buy things for their artistic beauty too. Maybe I'm in the wrong tax bracket to understand $1,000 purchases that aren't "emotionally valuable". I don't really know how else to explain it.
Also I could be bitter because there's things I love that now cost a ton because people collect for different reasons than me. I don't know why I feel entitled to own something over someone who could care less about the character but I secretly do. I guess not so secretly anymore. It's definitely not fun to see the prices of these things rise to a level I can't afford. Part of that I'm sure is these specific characters have drawn some new collectors to the table.
Idk. I'm trying to make this not seem mean spirited. I'm sure it's not working. I appreciate your responses though. I apologize if you feel offended. A big part of me understands why you collect these things. I have so many myself. So we are the same in some respects.
Well I do like the Guyver quite a bit more than a fox or hawk (and it's a bit less common.)

When you get something like this you usually do become familiar with the source material which for me will be happening.

Collecting for the first few years has been about choices about a collection.
As time passes and my tastes get more experience what I want changes.

I mean yeah people want every SF character in their collection but is there really a connection to them all?

Sometimes you'd rather have less pieces but more awe. The Guyver is the price of 3 PCS SF pieces. Didn't want the Ken, Monster Nash and Reg Oni. Don't know if you've seen these types of busts in person but there's no arguing the impact is on a whole different level from a usual statue so trading those for the Guyver bust is easy for me.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote