Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #1501
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsubject25 View Post
I couldn't agree more, I have three black besta double wides and eight single cubes, all in black. I'll never make that mistake again. I'm replacing all of mine with white this year. The black drains the color out of pieces in my opinion, well lit or not.
I disagree. I actually find black to be far more dramatic than white, if you actually light it properly. White is just much easier to light since you get all of that bounce light. You need a much better lighting system if your going with black, but if you do it right I personally find the results to be far more dramatic than white.

Thats actually why Sideshow normally goes with a black/dark background for their prototype photography. It makes the statue look more dramatic. Just a few examples:

Plus one of the nice things about going with black is you can do the whole "spotlight in back of the subject" effect", which can be really dramatic and look amazing if done properly. Here is an example:

Dont get me wrong, I think both white and black can look amazing if done right. I just think black offers more opportunities for dramatic lighting and again if done right, can look much nicer than white. Of course, as always, to each thier own. Its all personal preference.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #1502
RomanceDawn
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I disagree. I actually find black to be far more dramatic than white, if you actually light it properly. White is just much easier to light since you get all of that bounce light. You need a much better lighting system if your going with black, but if you do it right I personally find the results to be far more dramatic than white.

Thats actually why Sideshow normally goes with a black/dark background for their prototype photography. It makes the statue look more dramatic. Just a few examples:

Plus one of the nice things about going with black is you can do the whole "spotlight in back of the subject" effect", which can be really dramatic and look amazing if done properly. Here is an example:

Dont get me wrong, I think both white and black can look amazing if done right. I just think black offers more opportunities for dramatic lighting and again if done right, can look much nicer than white. Of course, as always, to each thier own. Its all personal preference.
Oh boy, so much to think about. Just when I think I've completely made up my mind, a post like your comes around to make me reconsider everything. This is good though as my wife prefers black furniture.

I assume your pieces are in black shelving, how do you go about lighting exactly?
RomanceDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:23 AM   #1503
Yet2k
Birdman

How about a NORNAS?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30280947/
Yet2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 AM   #1504
Butttornado
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I also prefer black for the same reason stated above.
Butttornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:09 AM   #1505
ukshaun
Hercules

On the subject of black or white, mine are clear glass. Maybe they could include a back drop to go with each statue.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:45 AM   #1506
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I thought about white cabinets as it would make your statues pop out but black (dark brown) makes your statue more dramatic.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #1507
Yet2k
Birdman

I think Fabrikor could be good for some PF
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20242277/
Yet2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #1508
gamegod2x
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I prefer black too. Here are some of my photos.

You can see more on my flickr account

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gamegodx/

My YouTube Channel:youtube.com/c/dennismangual
gamegod2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #1509
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
Oh boy, so much to think about. Just when I think I've completely made up my mind, a post like your comes around to make me reconsider everything. This is good though as my wife prefers black furniture.

I assume your pieces are in black shelving, how do you go about lighting exactly?
I basically use a combination of a DIY system using individual LED's and LED puck and strip lighting, but in all honesty, I am still not content with my lighting. Given my profession, I have always taken the lighting side more seriously than most. I swear there is literally something for everything these days, but it absolutely blows my mind that someone hasn't designed a flexible LED lighting system designed for collectibles, statues, etc. It would actually be very easy to design and would blow away puck lighting and strip lighting.

Think along the lines of something like this:

Only with each unit having anywhere from 3-5 flexible LED's with a separate power source w/ individual dimming capability. You could even add color capability given the LED's that are availble today. Something like that would absoutely destroy basic puck and strip lighting as you could literaly light a statue like you were in a studio as each felxible LED would be like a separate light that you could point anywhere you wanted. You could create much more sophisticated lighting set ups, like you see with studio photography of statues. That picture of Catwoman that has the single spotlight behind her is the perfect example. With the lighting available today, something like that isn't easy, but if you had a system like I am describing, it would be as easy as pointing a single flexible LED at the background behind the statue.

And the crazy thing is, it really wouldn't be very hard to produce and it wouldn't be really expensive at all. Wanna talk about a great Kickstarter product. Again, it absolutely blows my mind that someone hasn't already thought it up and brought one to market. You could even make it a modular system where larger power sources could run multiple sets.

Honestly, there are just so many amazing possibilities with LED's and yet there is really nothing like it on the market. I just don't get it. I have been hoping and waiting for a lighting system like that for at least the last 6-7 years and still nothing. I'm to the point where I am ready to hire a really talented electrician to build the system for me. I honestly don't care how much it would cost. I wont be truly content with my statues lighting until I can approach the lighting like studio lighting and the only way you can really get that is with flexible individual LED's.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #1510
adee
Green Arrow

I remember seeing someones collection thread where they had the black besta but didn't use the back inserts and let the white wall show through.
It looked very nice but I haven't been able to track down the pic. Anyone else have this set up?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote