Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #1551
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
'Emma Frost - noticable difference from prototype'

Can you give more details?
I don't think the portrait came out as nice as the prototype. Here is one of the prototype pictures:

and here is a production shot:

IMO, there is a notiable difference in the quality of the portrait. I still like the piece and am still glad I purchased it. Its just one of the few pieces released by Sideshow over the last couple years where I saw a very noticable difference between the prototype and the production piece.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #1552
Vallos
Jubilee

I am going to put her right next to these two beauties!

Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #1553
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I don't think the portrait came out as nice as the prototype. Here is one of the prototype pictures:

and here is a production shot:

IMO, there is a notiable difference in the quality of the portrait. I still like the piece and am still glad I purchased it. Its just one of the few pieces released by Sideshow over the last couple years where I saw a very noticable difference between the prototype and the production piece.
This is one piece I actually really regret buying. I thought I would grow to like the piece, but even to this day I can't stand it.

I will be getting rid of my slightly damaged EX very soon, most likely to someone who will convert it (I broker her finger off when I was cleaning).
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #1554
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
What was not even close to the prototype are the following:

Voltron PF. In fact ssc had to change the webpage after the horrendous paint job they did on this piece when people complaint about it. The over spray eyes was bad. The silver was flat and had zero shading like what the proto showed.

Rogue PF the horrendous paint job on the face was the worst. Her eye shadows was so poorly painted that Ssc had to resent another batch for those who complaint. Even the 2nd batch didn't fair any better.

Iron Patriot Maquette by far the worst paint job Amongst all the statues out there. Black straight lines were Wobbly painted. The navy metallic color had botches all over. A huge disappointment.

Pyslocke PF poor primer paint job had ssc recall or replace a bulk of there statues which had paint flaking all of the place.

Spider Woman PF A lot of them had sloppy paint job with which was pretty bad.

Ms Marvel PF the back of her hair was poorly glued or assembled resulted in a gap. I had ssc replace mine 4 times.

Not so bad but there were flaws.
And the ones you mentioned alread.
1) red Sonja pf (1st one) skin tone didn't even look like proto.
2) Lara Croft PF (2nd one) wonky eye?

However ssc had some pretty flawless statues also.
1) Lara Croft Comiquette. The paint app was astounding. Imo, the best ever by ssc.
2) Lobo PF. The best DC statue by ssc.
3) Captain Marvel PF. The best Marvwl statue out there
Your going back farther than I was. I was talking about statues released from roughly mid/late 2014 onward. You won't get any argument from me whatsoever about legitimate issues prior to the time frame I was talking about, which i made pretty clear in my post, but again this is late 2017 and not mid 2014 or prior and IMO there has ben a massive increase in both the quality of the designs and the overall quality of the statues since that time.

Thats not to say that there hasnt been statues with issues (Red Sonja, Queen of the Dead, etc), but IMO the VAST majority of statues released since that time frame have been home runs and I stand by the list I posted 100%. I have recieved just one amazing piece after another since that time. In fact, I actually forgot a couple statues on that list including Modern Batman which was just another amazing statue that was just spot on with the prototype. Everyone is entitled to their opinions so if you want to disagree with any of the statues I listed, your entitled to do so. Again, I stand by that list 100% and I am not worried in the slightest about the quality of the pre orders I currently have going with Sideshow. They have been kicking a*s and taking names for the last 2 years now and I don't regret a single purchase I have made. The only statue I have been severly disappointed with was Supergirl and thankfully I didn't buy her. I literally have nothing but 100% confidence in Sideshow at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
This is one piece I actually really regret buying. I thought I would grow to like the piece, but even to this day I can't stand it.

I will be getting rid of my slightly damaged EX very soon, most likely to someone who will convert it (I broker her finger off when I was cleaning).
While I still like the piece, I can perfectly understand why some people were very disappointed with it. Its definitely one of Sideshow's weaker statues released the last 2+ years running.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #1555
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Red Sonja Thread

This is a Red Sonja thread yes! They mentioned that belt was leather? Or maybe the pouch was ? cant remember
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #1556
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I believe the belt is leather and the fur is faux fur.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #1557
addic
The X-Men

Definitely a cool piece. But I just don't feel the excitement I felt when the 2nd Red Sonja was announced.
addic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #1558
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
What was not even close to the prototype are the following:

Voltron PF. In fact ssc had to change the webpage after the horrendous paint job they did on this piece when people complaint about it. The over spray eyes was bad. The silver was flat and had zero shading like what the proto showed.

Rogue PF the horrendous paint job on the face was the worst. Her eye shadows was so poorly painted that Ssc had to resent another batch for those who complaint. Even the 2nd batch didn't fair any better.

Iron Patriot Maquette by far the worst paint job Amongst all the statues out there. Black straight lines were Wobbly painted. The navy metallic color had botches all over. A huge disappointment.

Pyslocke PF poor primer paint job had ssc recall or replace a bulk of there statues which had paint flaking all of the place.

Spider Woman PF A lot of them had sloppy paint job with which was pretty bad.

Ms Marvel PF the back of her hair was poorly glued or assembled resulted in a gap. I had ssc replace mine 4 times.

Not so bad but there were flaws.
And the ones you mentioned alread.
1) red Sonja pf (1st one) skin tone didn't even look like proto.
2) Lara Croft PF (2nd one) wonky eye?

However ssc had some pretty flawless statues also.
1) Lara Croft Comiquette. The paint app was astounding. Imo, the best ever by ssc.
2) Lobo PF. The best DC statue by ssc.
3) Captain Marvel PF. The best Marvwl statue out there
I have the Privalage of seeing a lot of statues from ss in person at the 3 midtown comics in NYC during my lunch breaks year round. I don't know what was close to prototype and what wasn't for the ones I'm about to list I just know for the price point their paint job is s$it or face paint job is sh$it. Doesn't meet my standards for their asking price.

Red hulk premium format (personally own) I need to just throw that s$it out. If you have grey congrats if you have green or red throw it out. Base just looks like everything is melted such bad paint job. Skin tones were not done well.
Joker arkham asylum pf head (terrible paint choice) great tailoring
Batman pf and just about every batman (face is dark as sh$t sorry but the dark knight effect bulls$it is not working)
Green lantern pf both of them ( Indian color complexion) amazing statue though
Red Sonja part 1 (personally own Fu$k where do I start never mind this pic will take care of that. Don't worry about right that is a custom paintjob worry about what's on the left.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3229.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	108151
Red Sonja part 2 (massive details lost in paint it's a disgrace to the artist who sculpted this masterpiece) sup par is not good enough for that price point.
Darkseid pf (fake looking lava like a Mattel toy sloppy paint job when you look up close on skin)
Poison ivy pf (I want to meet the fu$Ker who approved factory samples) someone on YouTube did a video of this it shows difference way better then this pic. Production we got looks like a man.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3197.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	108150
Most of the court of the dead ( this one hurts the most as no line in my opinion from any company except xm transformers is more detailed then this gorgous line but paint is just sh$t sh$it.

Wins
CAPTAIN MARVEL the best statue I've seen from ss in years period.

If you own these please don't take it as an attack 90% of my collection is ss but I collect old school ss if price is reasonable for me they have lost their way and I think they are being outdone in many aspects by a lot of other companies.

I still believe they have the best sculptors and prototypes hands down in the industry however production is just not to my standards when asking me to pay that much. I just feel sorry for the artist to be honest their prototypes are insane but ss just doesn't capture their work any more for me. It's truly sad. I have no faith in hell this 3rd Sonja will be close to proto.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #1559
nearmint
Phoenix

The pics released today suggest that the production Huntress is pretty darn close to proto.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #1560
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
The pics released today suggest that the production Huntress is pretty darn close to proto.
Looks to be, except they didn't do any skin shading which is really odd. She just looks super pale with all the same skin color, still looks really nice but I find that to be a strange choice. Maybe it's not all of them and it's a mess up?
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote