Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #151
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Could argue Black Panther and the whole MCU wouldn't exist today without Blade
Yes and no.

Considering it was Rated R and only made $70 million (from a $45 million budget) at the box office, one could argue it was a decent hit for Marvel but not enough to build momentum for something greater. The sequels are forgettable at best. Heck, Blade even took a back seat in the Trinity sequel.

And for the record, it was nearly a decade later before Iron Man arrived on the scene and became the game changer for Marvel.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #152
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Yes and no.

Considering it was Rated R and only made $70 million (from a $45 million budget) at the box office, one could argue it was a decent hit for Marvel but not enough to build momentum for something greater. The sequels are forgettable at best. Heck, Blade even took a back seat in the Trinity sequel.

And for the record, it was nearly a decade later before Iron Man arrived on the scene and became the game changer for Marvel.
I will say the butterfly effect of popular culture is hard to definitively state given all the variables and hypothetical that could have played out.

As a kid in the 1990s it was Batman and an odd random movie here and there and Marvel was largely absent. Blade was a lower budget and I'd say C-Tier character that showed was some market there. Then we had X-Men and Spider-Man that showed the A-Tier could push the market forward even more so they too deserve a place in stating how we got to where we are today.

By the time 2008 came Marvel saw it could work, but so many of their A-Tier characters were taken so going with Iron Man was a huge risk back then and it absolutely deserves a place as important to how super hero movies are today.

My point was Marvel went from humble beginnings and failures (Captain America and Fantastic Four of the 1990s) to becoming a global cinematic juggernaut. It didn't happen in a vacuum or all because of one movie, there were several along the way that facilitated that shift and growth.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #153
Gothamite
Phoenix

As Augen noted, success is actually built upon a foundation of trial and error. There was a long process that had to unfold before we could get to Iron Man in 2008. Heck, the MCU isn't without mis-steps -- TIH and Thor 2 come to mind. The movies have become repetitive as well, with Ant Man playing like Iron Man Lite and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 beating the same jokes to death.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #154
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
As Augen noted, success is actually built upon a foundation of trial and error. There was a long process that had to unfold before we could get to Iron Man in 2008. Heck, the MCU isn't without mis-steps -- TIH and Thor 2 come to mind. The movies have become repetitive as well, with Ant Man playing like Iron Man Lite and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 beating the same jokes to death.
I'm the odd ball that liked Thor 2 a lot and didn't enjoy Thor 3 at all. I also like Ant Man and Guardian 1 & 2 so I'm a bit easier to please than most.

I give Marvel credit though, they have yet to hit a wall. So many other companies would have had Iron Man 4 & 5 by now (looks at Pirates movies...)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #155
Gothamite
Phoenix

I enjoyed Thor 1 but didn't like how they turned the sequels into videogames basically.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #156
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
My point was Marvel went from humble beginnings and failures (Captain America and Fantastic Four of the 1990s) to becoming a global cinematic juggernaut. It didn't happen in a vacuum or all because of one movie, there were several along the way that facilitated that shift and growth.
I think you've made some valid convincing points here.

We should probably also give credit to the man in charge --Kevin Feige. Compared to Avi Arad, Mr. Feige had a better vision and keen sense of how to ground these characters and make them relevant.

Iron Man STILL holds up after 10 years whereas Raimi's Spiderman's...well, let's say they're best left in the dust.

Feige is a maestro who understands these characters and how they translate to film.

DC could benefit from a man of his talents and vision.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #157
Mister H
Ultimates

Quote:

...or a woman, Patty Jenkins.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #158
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:

We should probably also give credit to the man in charge --Kevin Feige. Compared to Avi Arad, Mr. Feige had a better vision and keen sense of how to ground these characters and make them relevant.

Iron Man STILL holds up after 10 years whereas Raimi's Spiderman's...well, let's say they're best left in the dust.

Feige is a maestro who understands these characters and how they translate to film.

I don't disagree with any of this, well said.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #159
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:

Amen to all of it!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #160
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
I could have sworn I watched a whole Trilogy from Marvel about a black superhero...

Sometimes I feel like people think super hero movies began in 2008 with Iron Man.
I read "black-superhero film" as referring to the cast, not just the main character.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote