Maybe...NOT!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #152
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
!!!
I already sent the link for the Cap one to my woman, and she was all in for it. WOO! Welcome to Nerdville! Population: me.
If I show her and say I want them she will say it is a waste of money, but if already ordered and placed in her closet she will wear them and like them as well.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #153
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
If I show her and say I want them she will say it is a waste of money, but if already ordered and placed in her closet she will wear them and like them as well.
Yes, a sound plan indeed, brother. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #154
Sinister Mister
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

It's too bad that WB is forcing Jerry's hand with having to do the modern costumes instead of the classic iconic ones from the first 3 installments of Mortal Kombat. People stopped really paying attention to Mortal Kombat after it went 3D and the series kind of fell off of the fighting scene radar which is why Nether Realm Studios went back to 2D for this latest iteration of the series.

It's even more puzzling that WB is forcing Jerry to go the modern route considering the heavy touting and promotion of classic retro costumes being available for the ninja characters. Even Nether Realm knows that the fans mark out for the classic look of the characters. The new designs are constantly changing drastically with every new installment so no one look of the characters becomes classic anymore, where as in the past, the original costumes of the characters, especially the ninjas, stayed relatively the same over the course of the first 3 MK's with only minor adjustments made. When fans think of MK they think of the classic looks of the characters from the classic installments of the series, not the recent forgettable 3D versions.

If fans are going to drop $300 plus on statues, I can certainly understand their disappointment in not being able to get the classic versions they want. If I remember correctly, even Jerry himself, when the initial buzz of a possible MK line was being mentioned, had initially wanted to do the classic costumes of the characters and I bet if he had had any say in the matter instead of having to do what WB wants he would do the classics in a heartbeat. Some times less is more. The new outfits are too busy and forgettable and they will be drastically different again when the next game comes out.

I'm sure that the new fans of the MK series that have come on board since the series went fully 3D are fine with it because they really have no ties to the classic iterations of the series, but to us longtime fans of the series, knowing that the only available versions of the statues from MK that we have been wanting for what seems like forever appear to be only going to be available in the new look stings a lot.

I don't blame Jerry. I know he had to do what he had to do in order to use the license, but I really wish that these companies would just butt the hell out of the sculptors business and let him do whatever he wants to do with the license based on the available history of the art of the series and what his fans want from him, but I get that it is a business at the end of the day. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Just my opinion on the matter and letting a little steam out. I know that regardless of how I feel about the look "forced" I mean chosen for the line Jerry will knock it out of the park and fans that do like the modern look will love it.
Sinister Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #155
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

A major problem with the classic outfits is that they were literally palatte swapped colors. Going with the argument of price, who is going to want to pay $300 for Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Reptile (not to mention Smoke and Ermac among others) when the only difference would be the color?

Same goes for Mileena, Kitana, and Jade. The classic outfits do look good and are definitely iconic, but within the game they are more justifiable because their special moves and fatalities are at least different. Having 3 or more identical inanimate statues with the only difference being color would seem silly. At least this way there is more personality with each statue. IMO.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #156
Sinister Mister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
A major problem with the classic outfits is that they were literally palatte swapped colors. Going with the argument of price, who is going to want to pay $300 for Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Reptile (not to mention Smoke and Ermac among others) when the only difference would be the color?

Same goes for Mileena, Kitana, and Jade. The classic outfits do look good and are definitely iconic, but within the game they are more justifiable because their special moves and fatalities are at least different. Having an 3 or more identical inanimate statues with the only difference being color would seem silly. At least this way there is more personality with each statue. IMO.
The only difference wouldn't be color. Not to mention that the price would be a little cheaper because the costumes would be less busy and complicated to make and replicate. There would be ways to make the characters unique enough even with the same clothing style, like having different poses and base designs for the various ninjas and weapons in the case of Mileena, Kitana, and Jade. As well as having swappable heads for Scorpion (skull) Reptile (Reptile head) and Mileena without her veil revealing her razor-mouthed teeth.

I don't think all those characters would probably be made anyway. Either at all or definitely not in succession of each other to be much of a problem anyway. Those would be the only characters that would be similar anyway and I think the swappable heads, different poses and bases, and different weapons for the female ninjas would do enough to make them stand apart. Anyway, it doesn't look like it matters because Jerry's gotta do what the man wants.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #157
benocehcap
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Mister View Post
It's too bad that WB is forcing Jerry's hand with having to do the modern costumes instead of the classic iconic ones from the first 3 installments of Mortal Kombat. People stopped really paying attention to Mortal Kombat after it went 3D and the series kind of fell off of the fighting scene radar which is why Nether Realm Studios went back to 2D for this latest iteration of the series.

It's even more puzzling that WB is forcing Jerry to go the modern route considering the heavy touting and promotion of classic retro costumes being available for the ninja characters. Even Nether Realm knows that the fans mark out for the classic look of the characters. The new designs are constantly changing drastically with every new installment so no one look of the characters becomes classic anymore, where as in the past, the original costumes of the characters, especially the ninjas, stayed relatively the same over the course of the first 3 MK's with only minor adjustments made. When fans think of MK they think of the classic looks of the characters from the classic installments of the series, not the recent forgettable 3D versions.

If fans are going to drop $300 plus on statues, I can certainly understand their disappointment in not being able to get the classic versions they want. If I remember correctly, even Jerry himself, when the initial buzz of a possible MK line was being mentioned, had initially wanted to do the classic costumes of the characters and I bet if he had had any say in the matter instead of having to do what WB wants he would do the classics in a heartbeat. Some times less is more. The new outfits are too busy and forgettable and they will be drastically different again when the next game comes out.

I'm sure that the new fans of the MK series that have come on board since the series went fully 3D are fine with it because they really have no ties to the classic iterations of the series, but to us longtime fans of the series, knowing that the only available versions of the statues from MK that we have been wanting for what seems like forever appear to be only going to be available in the new look stings a lot.

I don't blame Jerry. I know he had to do what he had to do in order to use the license, but I really wish that these companies would just butt the hell out of the sculptors business and let him do whatever he wants to do with the license based on the available history of the art of the series and what his fans want from him, but I get that it is a business at the end of the day. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Just my opinion on the matter and letting a little steam out. I know that regardless of how I feel about the look "forced" I mean chosen for the line Jerry will knock it out of the park and fans that do like the modern look will love it.
I LIKE THIS GUY!
benocehcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #158
Bruticus

Not to be a smart ass but Subby has changed alot in the 3 first games.

First off the older brother dies, then the second comes in and in MK3 he even removes his mask. There is no ninja in MK 3 not counting the cyborgs.

As long as Sub Zero has his blu/black outfit and something with ice, ppl are going to recognice him as Sub Zero. The same goes for Scorpion..he will be yellow/black and have his spear on a dead base with skulls and perhapps some flames.

Sure it might not look as MK2 if we use that as standard but the generall idea of the characters outfits are still there, it is just more detailed then the old ones.
Bruticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #159
Sinister Mister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus View Post
Not to be a smart ass but Subby has changed alot in the 3 first games.

First off the older brother dies, then the second comes in and in MK3 he even removes his mask. There is no ninja in MK 3 not counting the cyborgs.

As long as Sub Zero has his blu/black outfit and something with ice, ppl are going to recognice him as Sub Zero. The same goes for Scorpion..he will be yellow/black and have his spear on a dead base with skulls and perhapps some flames.

Sure it might not look as MK2 if we use that as standard but the generall idea of the characters outfits are still there, it is just more detailed then the old ones.
Look, not everyone is going to share my opinion on the matter and that's fine. It's just my opinion. And as such i'm just voicing said opinion that i'm sad to see WB forcing Jerry to do the latest iterations of the costumes strictly as a promotional tool for the game rather than just letting him have free reign with the license to do whatever he wants. I would've preferred the classic costumes. To me the scorpion tale sword on the back of Scorpion is silly and unnecessary.

And as far as Sub-Zero changing goes. It may have been his brother in MKII but he looked exactly the same and the old Sub-Zero returned in part III as an add on in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with the old look from the first two games as Classic Sub-Zero because, you guessed it, people preferred the classic costumed Sub-Zero over the new look which kinda furthers my point. Like I said, it's just my opinion guys. Mortal Kombat meant the most from '92-'95 so obviously that's where a lot of peoples hearts are tied with the franchise.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #160
Atheris
The Maxx

I personally like old and new. Who knows, the SS EX version may be the classic costume....then everyones happy!

Which also means im buying both!

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote