Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #171
Snadinator
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhoo83 View Post
Good suggestion, only problem is i dont live in the US and shipping + taxes are really expensive. I'm hoping a local store will carry him. If it doesn't work out, i may have to order from BBTS like you mentioned. Hopefully, it wont be sold out by then .
Unless you live in Canada, Guam or Puerto Rico, you have no chance at finding it at a local retailer as the license GG has with Marvel restricts which country they can ship to.
Snadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #172
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I've no preference for environmental bases over simple bases but they should make sense.
I think in this instance, the clear base not only makes sense, but I give them kudos for using two cubes at slightly cocked angles, rather than just using long vertical one, or worse a long cylinder to support the right foot.
What the two cubes do is provide a multiplicity of angles and straight lines- all of which provide some masculine energy to the overall piece while at the same time keeping the focus purely on the figure. I see the execution here the same way I see a illustration that implies background detail in an impressionistic way- subverting non essential detail.

I realize that some people just see the clear base and think they are getting gypped. For me, this is a more elegant solution.

Contrast this with the Shanna piece, which I DO think would benefit more from an environmental base. In that case though, the figure is very simple. The major amount of visual data (or detail) on display is in the dino head. The relative basic-ness of the barely clothed female figure would contrast well with a more detailed environment.
In the case of BW, there is enough fine detail already on the figure, in terms of different textures, surfaces, etc, that the eye has plenty to take in and process without wasting time with detailed crates and ammo boxes and whatnot.

So far I'm liking this piece a whole lot more than the SS BW in all areas. I cancelled that piece and never looked back or regretted it, but I'll likely be PO'ing this one soon.

I just hope the final production piece doesn't deviate from the proto
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #173
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Glad you like it but I disagree with just about everything you typed.

The character is Russian and Winter Soldier will have or should have a Cold War era feel to it. I'd paint the cubes to make an ammo box.

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-26-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #174
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
The character is Russian and Winter Soldier will have or should have a Cold War era feel to it. I'd paint the cubes to make an ammo box.

Sounds like a fun, creative project.
It also should be a relatively simple one for neophytes to do, given the latitude with an extraneous object consisting of basic shapes/textures/detail.

I'm definitely considering doing this for Shanna.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #175
Darkhumor
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I think in this instance, the clear base not only makes sense, but I give them kudos for using two cubes at slightly cocked angles, rather than just using long vertical one, or worse a long cylinder to support the right foot.
What the two cubes do is provide a multiplicity of angles and straight lines- all of which provide some masculine energy to the overall piece while at the same time keeping the focus purely on the figure. I see the execution here the same way I see a illustration that implies background detail in an impressionistic way- subverting non essential detail.

I realize that some people just see the clear base and think they are getting gypped. For me, this is a more elegant solution.

Contrast this with the Shanna piece, which I DO think would benefit more from an environmental base. In that case though, the figure is very simple. The major amount of visual data (or detail) on display is in the dino head. The relative basic-ness of the barely clothed female figure would contrast well with a more detailed environment.
In the case of BW, there is enough fine detail already on the figure, in terms of different textures, surfaces, etc, that the eye has plenty to take in and process without wasting time with detailed crates and ammo boxes and whatnot.

So far I'm liking this piece a whole lot more than the SS BW in all areas. I cancelled that piece and never looked back or regretted it, but I'll likely be PO'ing this one soon.

I just hope the final production piece doesn't deviate from the proto

Darkhumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #176
Y3E
Gen 13

Wow, how did I miss this thread and statue?

I ordered through spec fiction. Great price and you don't get charged until this ships.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #177
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

thanks y3e!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #178
Leeloo
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Geez, I can't buy it because I am in Australia....lame.
Leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #179
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
Geez, I can't buy it because I am in Australia....lame.
Sure you can, you just can't order from GG direct. Check your local dealers or one of the many online retailers. You'll probably find the prices to be considerably lower in a lot of cases too.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #180
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

Really like this statue.

Would grab one to go with my SS Allied charge Cap if money wasnt an issue... but sadly it is

And I love the clear cubes. Just like the clear bases GG uses... it draws all the attention to the figure. Great stuff
Prevail69 is offline   Reply With Quote