Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 09-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #171
TooMacabre
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5575.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	164928 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5574.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	164929

Name:	IMG_5576.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	164930
The smile doesn't look as bad in these pics.
TooMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:37 PM   #172
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I think the "Tweeterhead" version with a closed mouth smile would have been basically perfect. I think I'll skip PO'ing this and wait for it to go on sale two years from now when it finally comes out.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #173
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Tweeterhead did a great job on the sculpt. I?ll probably sell ssc coffin and get this one.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #174
ukshaun
Hercules

My plan is to wait and see how the production pieces turn out.
It will give me much time to consider the piece.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:08 PM   #175
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

I feel the piece is full of conflicts as it is shown but the raw sculpt pictured earlier in the thread seems fine. Except for the dagger size. More on that in a second.

I think it's mostly the fault of the rendered 'paintjob'. The main issues I see with it are:

1) DRESS. It's the late 1980's version with the deep lower plunge below the cleavage going almost to the belt. This became more of a higher deep "v" stopping right below her chest later on - late 90's or early 2000's I think. This version is classic and visually the most pleasing, but doesn't match the makeup/hair chosen for this piece which is from later styling of the character.

2) MAKE-UP. Seems to reference the 2003 (and onward) version of the makeup design. There should also be 5 batwing tips/points for the eyeliner (not 4 as shown). Adding the 5th point on the inside of each eyelid really makes a difference. The purple cut-line on the eyelid needs to come in a little more toward the nose and down toward the inner tearduct. The eyebrows are too high. The over drawn lower inner tearduct shape is not correct and should be less noticeably curved along the bottom edge and finish closer-in to the nose. There needs to be more fuchsia under the eyes. The blush needs to be darker.

3) HAIR. This is the 2010's overall hair shape but with the more separated 1980's bangs where you see more forehead. There needs to be some "scalp" paint added within the lower part as well.

4) DAGGER. 2x larger than it should be.

5) LIPS. Overall shape and opening between teeth are incorrectly 'painted' (both look correct on the native sculpt, though)

I took the liberty of making these corrections in Photoshop to the smiling version to resolve these issues to my eye. See attached.

---

I know Chad and Cassandra are very close friends, and that Cassandra and her team approve everything "Elvira".

Maybe this looks better in person to their eye than in a photo studio and then heavily retouched which is all we have to evaluate on.

But... I also feel that Cassandra's team has recently approved other products (NECA) that deviate from the core and classic character design by over-stylizing or even omitting certain critical aspects of the makeup and costume which do change the impact, likeness and accuracy.

For example, the makeup on the Ultimate Action Figure was severely lacking by not having the full "batwing" tips for the upper eyeliner, or upper eye shadow two-tone with the fuchsia and blue and also extending up the forehead. With the factory now using full-color printing for facial features, this should have been 100% accurate. Also, the studded bracelets are totally missing on the newest Toony Terrors Couch Box Set and also the Body Knockers figure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	380556878_708354904652182_3498211951347785337_n edit.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	164949  
ETW_Curator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:23 PM   #176
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

Also... here's an animated GIF alternating between the original and my edit every 2 seconds:

Old 09-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #177
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETW_Curator View Post
I feel the piece is full of conflicts as it is shown but the raw sculpt pictured earlier in the thread seems fine. Except for the dagger size. More on that in a second.

I think it's mostly the fault of the rendered 'paintjob'. The main issues I see with it are:

1) DRESS. It's the late 1980's version with the deep lower plunge below the cleavage going almost to the belt. This became more of a higher deep "v" stopping right below her chest later on - late 90's or early 2000's I think. This version is classic and visually the most pleasing, but doesn't match the makeup/hair chosen for this piece which is from later styling of the character.

2) MAKE-UP. Seems to reference the 2003 (and onward) version of the makeup design. There should also be 5 batwing tips/points for the eyeliner (not 4 as shown). Adding the 5th point on the inside of each eyelid really makes a difference. The purple cut-line on the eyelid needs to come in a little more toward the nose and down toward the inner tearduct. The eyebrows are too high. The over drawn lower inner tearduct shape is not correct and should be less noticeably curved along the bottom edge and finish closer-in to the nose. There needs to be more fuchsia under the eyes. The blush needs to be darker.

3) HAIR. This is the 2010's overall hair shape but with the more separated 1980's bangs where you see more forehead. There needs to be some "scalp" paint added within the lower part as well.

4) DAGGER. 2x larger than it should be.

5) LIPS. Overall shape and opening between teeth are incorrectly 'painted' (both look correct on the native sculpt, though)

I took the liberty of making these corrections in Photoshop to the smiling version to resolve these issues to my eye. See attached.

---

I know Chad and Cassandra are very close friends, and that Cassandra and her team approve everything "Elvira".

Maybe this looks better in person to their eye than in a photo studio and then heavily retouched which is all we have to evaluate on.

But... I also feel that Cassandra's team has recently approved other products (NECA) that deviate from the core and classic character design by over-stylizing or even omitting certain critical aspects of the makeup and costume which do change the impact, likeness and accuracy.

For example, the makeup on the Ultimate Action Figure was severely lacking by not having the upper eye shadow two-tone with the fuchsia and blue and also extending up the forehead. With the factory now using full-color printing for facial features, this should have been 100% accurate. Also, the studded bracelets are totally missing on the newest Toony Terrors Couch Box Set and also the Body Knockers figure.
Quote:
Also... here's an animated GIF alternating between the original and my edit every 2 seconds:

You make a lot of great points further helped by this comparison gif. These slight edits help elevate this piece.

(Although even if it isn't "correct," I like the larger scaled knife more. It just looks more pleasing to the composition as a whole IMHO. But this isn't a hill I'd die on... either version is fine.)
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #178
TooMacabre
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:

Your version is very nice!
TooMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 02:06 PM   #179
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
You make a lot of great points further helped by this comparison gif. These slight edits help elevate this piece.

(Although even if it isn't "correct," I like the larger scaled knife more. It just looks more pleasing to the composition as a whole IMHO. But this isn't a hill I'd die on... either version is fine.)
Thank you! Except for the retooling of the dagger, the rest would be easy changes in the painting stage. The devil really is in the details -- and if executed correctly, can make all the difference.

When I met her in 2018 I was surprised how small the dagger really was in person. She is a petite woman, though, so it's to-scale for her frame. And if it were crafted this large IRL, I am not sure she could even sit down properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMacabre View Post
Your version is very nice!
Thank you!
Old 09-22-2023, 04:05 PM   #180
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Thank you! Except for the retooling of the dagger, the rest would be easy changes in the painting stage. The devil really is in the details -- and if executed correctly, can make all the difference.

When I met her in 2018 I was surprised how small the dagger really was in person. She is a petite woman, though, so it's to-scale for her frame. And if it were crafted this large IRL, I am not sure she could even sit down properly!
No problem, thank you for taking the time to figure out the issues and type out possible solutions. I really hope these paint details will be utilized to take this great piece to the next level.

I'm insanely jealous that you've met Elvira in person! But yeah, I could see the real life problems the larger decorative knife could pose. Unless it's affixed by a circular and movable piece in the center (with something like a snap or button)... then while seated, she could just turn it a little for comfort.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote