Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #171
SashaMitchell
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Darkseid was conceived as an allegory for Hitler. His motivation is pretty tantamount to the real life egomaniacal lunatic he's based on. Him ruling what is essentially a planet wide Third Reich with an absolute iron fist of cruelty and detached coldness adds a lot to his characterization and evilness in a way most other villains just can't compare.
SashaMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #172
Parallax
Nightwing

Yes but above all, he wants the Sinestro Corps to run the galaxy, not the Green Lantern Corps. His means of attaining it and his beliefs are what separate him from Darkseid. Thanos wants one thing, which is the love of Death, who doesn't love him. He does nothing for himself, he only does it for Death. He's essentially Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #173
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Above All View Post
no pictures?

Only in our hearts and minds.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #174
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
And Thanos' make him stand out leagues above Darkseid. And I disagree about Sinestro. His motivations are nothing like Darkseids. Sinestro has a deep seated belief of what he feels order and law are, and he'll do what he feels is necessary to get it. Darkseid just wants to rule, nothing more.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Couldn't agree more. IMO, Thanos is a far deeper character than Darkseid has ever been and ultimately just a much more interesting character in general. I still like Darkseid as a character, but I definitely rank Thanos above Darkseid in pretty much every way possible. And I couldn't care less that the idea of Thanos was born out of Darkseid. You could say that about countless super hero's. For example, the idea of Supergirl was born out of Superman and Power Girl started out as a parallel world analog of the Silver Age Supergirl. You could go on and on and on and on and on. Honestly, thats all completely and utterly irrelvant to me. What matters to me is the overall quality of the character, not how he or she was first concieved.

Don't get me wrong, I find the history of the comic industry extremely interesting and that includes how the characters were first conceived, but in the end it doesnt matter to me if a charcter was created in a true moment of inspiration or if he was created from the mold of another character. The only thing that really matters to me is the overall quality of the character, based on the stories and writing we have seen for that character, and in that regard, Thanos definitely trumps Darkseid in my book, and not by a small margin either.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #175
dreamactius
Sinister Six

Thanos is just a cheesy version of Darkseid. Darkseid would slap Thanos and make him bow to his knees.
dreamactius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #176
adee
Green Arrow

I'm praying this piece doesn't have the Marvel Now blue hands and feet. Something tells me I may be SoL.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #177
theokan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Thanos has flaws which makes him a more interesting character. You have to realize when you invent a new character, everything starts off perfect until you actually come up with flaws for him as you dig deeper into his psyche..

When writers come up with the ultimate evil, any writer starts off with the idea that this character would be the perfect evil and the most powerful being in the universe, that's where it starts and that's where Darkseid ends. But for the writers of Thanos to come up with the idea that he's obsessed with death, both literally and figuratively, is genius. He's in love with Death and also in a way wishes to be dead, considering how powerful he is, his character is deeply flawed and makes for a very interesting character.

Keep in mind they can still write amazing stories using one dimensional characters, it just that flawed characters are usually more interesting to read.

As a comparison, what if the MCU movie version of Thanos will not have the Death theme at all, and essentially will be like Darkseid; more of a one dimensional perfect ultimate evil with no flaws, no love interest, no real passion besides ruling the world, only limitation being the limit of his raw power. Do you think that would make him a better character then his comicbook counterpart?

------------
theokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #178
Igo
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I'm praying this piece doesn't have the Marvel Now blue hands and feet. Something tells me I may be SoL.
There's a tiny bit of blue in one glove, a tiny bit, and both boots have zero blue. You'll be ok.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #179
IzeroI
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Well I don't want any blue on Thanos at all!!!!
IzeroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #180
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
There's a tiny bit of blue in one glove, a tiny bit, and both boots have zero blue. You'll be ok.
Blue gem?

JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote