Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #1871
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
There in lies the problem. In almost all pics we see of Wolvie in the comics, his sideburns are actually covered by his mask. We don't see them. In this case not only do we see them but it's hard to differentiate the edges of his mask from his sideburns because the factory paint apps are poor. It looks like 2 black globs on the sides of his mask. It all blends together too much IMO.

Almost all depictions of Wolverine in comics? Well then it’s a valid sculptural/aesthetic choice made by SS. Besides, you ordered the bloody thing knowing full well the sideburns were sculpted-in and visible. I can’t wait to hear your twisted self justifying response. And this coming from a guy who thinks the SS Com is the definitive representation of that costume/era?! Brother to each his own, but if ugly/funky portraits, a flat arse, strange biceps, wonky legs, and bad anatomy in general is your thing, good luck with that.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #1872
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Almost all depictions of Wolverine in comics? Well then it’s a valid sculptural/aesthetic choice made by SS. Besides, you ordered the bloody thing knowing full well the sideburns were sculpted-in and visible. I can’t wait to hear your twisted self justifying response. And this coming from a guy who thinks the SS Com is the definitive representation of that costume/era?! Brother to each his own, but if ugly/funky portraits, a flat arse, strange biceps, wonky legs, and bad anatomy in general is your thing, good luck with that.
Dude, why all the hostility? Did I insult you or say something to demean you? The painted prototype looks awesome. The sideburns were hardly noticeable because sideshow's master painters rocked it. The painters at the factory messed up the paint apps and that's why the mask/sidebirn area looks bad. It's as simple as that.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #1873
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Dude, why all the hostility? Did I insult you or say something to demean you? The painted prototype looks awesome. The sideburns were hardly noticeable because sideshow's master painters rocked it. The painters at the factory messed up the paint apps and that's why the mask/sidebirn area looks bad. It's as simple as that.
Look, wasn’t trying to insult, but when you make a case by comparing 2D art vs 3D sculpts, it just does not make sense for me. Let’s hope this sculpt comes great enough for all to enjoy, warts and all.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #1874
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
He never suggested that. So stop twisting the discussion to fit your narrative, whatever that is. Points made were crystal clear. If you are unable to grasp, or acknowledge the obvious, happy collecting brother.
I'm editing this post for the sake of keeping the peace. I responded to this post before I read your last post.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #1875
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Look, wasn’t trying to insult, but when you make a case by comparing 2D art vs 3D sculpts, it just does not make sense for me. Let’s hope this sculpt comes great enough for all to enjoy, warts and all.
Art is art. Sculpted, painted, drawn, colored. It's all art. We are talking about comic characters that are drawn/sculpted to exaggerated proportions and poses. Some sculptors have exaggerared styles (like Sosa). Some have very realistic styles like Canale or Harbottle. The same thing exists in 2D art. You have artists like Simon Bisley that draws all his characters as HUGE and muscular to an unrealistic degree (like how Sosa sculpts). Then you have artists like Bolton or Bolland who draw characters in a almost photo realistic way (like Canale or Harbottle sculpt). It's OK to have a preference, but it's only an opinion as to which person's art you think looks best.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #1876
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Absolutely agree. It's the most overrated piece I can think of.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
I’m not speaking about collective opinion, what i’m saying is remove your subjective opinion for a moment and compare any two statues objectively, for instance koto and SS wolverines (disregard scale).

Facts that can be observed between the two wolverine:
- proportions more accurate on SS.
- muscles are irregular on koto
- pose is more natural on SS
- sentinel base holds more importance than a danger room base.
- etc

Again I’m not saying who should like what, but i am saying that one will have more observable essential elements(facts) that make it more so the definitive version of a character. I get were your coming from ‘one mans trash is another mans treasure’ which is very true (subjective thought). But what i am saying is disregards personal view and feelings(objective thinking). I’m sure you may disagree but i hope that atleast clarifies my point.

Quote:
Keep the OG Koto out of this!!

I agree with Divo's opinion on the SS Com. Goofy pose, skinny legs, tiger stripes minimized, hair on arms looks penciled in. Let's stay civil.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #1877
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
I’m not speaking about collective opinion, what i’m saying is remove your subjective opinion for a moment and compare any two statues objectively, for instance koto and SS wolverines (disregard scale).

Facts that can be observed between the two wolverine:
- proportions more accurate on SS.
- muscles are irregular on koto
- pose is more natural on SS
- sentinel base holds more importance than a danger room base.
- etc

Again I’m not saying who should like what, but i am saying that one will have more observable essential elements(facts) that make it more so the definitive version of a character. I get were your coming from ‘one mans trash is another mans treasure’ which is very true (subjective thought). But what i am saying is disregards personal view and feelings(objective thinking). I’m sure you may disagree but i hope that atleast clarifies my point.

The Kotobukiya Wolverine by Eric Sosa is a great piece and can be found north of $1000 on the market so his demand is real. A great comic version of the character and a grail in my opinion. Accurate costume design for classic blue and yellow.

The Sideshow Wolverine. The sculpt and details are very nice but according to a few people this is the Astonishing version? Not the classic blue and yellow. So if you are looking for Astonishing, this one is your man.

In my opinion, this is the best Classic blue and yellow Wolverine sculpt to date with Hulk. There is even a real classic portrait with the EX. But it's not a solo piece for all you soloists.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #1878
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

What is going on in here? I just scrolled past a ridiculous amount of text. Must be a big argument or something. Lol
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #1879
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
I don’t quite understand the complaints regarding the sideburns for the Wolverine masked portrait? I mean the facial hair is sculpted in, so naturally the paint apps would follow the sculpted pattern, no?
Neither do i, always better to wait for inhands and more photos before any conclusions are drawn.
Quote:
Sorry, again I disagree. First off, these are comic characters so proportions, muuscles, and poses can be exaggerated. The importance of the base is based on what you think is most important.

I dislike Kirby's art. I love John Byrne and George Perez's art. I like Byrne and Perez's art simply because it looks more real and proportioned correctly. That doesn't mean their art is better than Kirby's. Just because I think the proportions, poses, or anatomy of George and John's art look better than Kirby's, doesn't mean it is.
I never said they couldn’t be exaggerated, what i am saying is we have eyes and can see the differences between the two. Secondly, its not based on what i think is most important but rather objectively speaking sentinels are more significant to x men history than danger rooms. Well have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quote:
He never suggested that. So stop twisting the discussion to fit your narrative, whatever that is. Points made were crystal clear. If you are unable to grasp, or acknowledge the obvious, happy collecting brother.
Thanks, i thought maybe i wasn’t making my points clear enough.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #1880
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post

Keep the OG Koto out of this!!

I agree with Divo's opinion on the SS Com. Goofy pose, skinny legs, tiger stripes minimized, hair on arms looks penciled in. Let's stay civil.
.I needed a scapegoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
The Kotobukiya Wolverine by Eric Sosa is a great piece and can be found north of $1000 on the market so his demand is real. A great comic version of the character and a grail in my opinion. Accurate costume design for classic blue and yellow.
In the words of FJC, one mans trash is anothers treasure lol
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote