Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #181
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantine Studio View Post
This is an older Conan and muscle structure change as we all get older.

QS
This is true, my muscle structure has fared even worse than Conan's I'm afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
Very true. It's why our Conan the Brutal does not look like a steroid user. He's broad and thick overall but not V shaped, more blocky. He's barrel-chested but the chest is not puffy, his shoulders wide but square. His traps are huge from carrying those heavy weapons.

All that said, I did add some scarring on the master prototype to his legs.

WP
Looking forward to the final piece. This one is great, as many Conan's as there are out or coming out there are actually very few that seem like a true Conan to me and this is definitely one.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #182
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post

Looking forward to the final piece. This one is great, as many Conan's as there are out or coming out there are actually very few that seem like a true Conan to me and this is definitely one.
I agree, this is on par with Moore's masterpiece.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #183
nfactorial
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Very true. It's why our Conan the Brutal does not look like a steroid user. He's broad and thick overall but not V shaped, more blocky. He's barrel-chested but the chest is not puffy, his shoulders wide but square. His traps are huge from carrying those heavy weapons.

WP
Thanks for this insight into the thought process when you were designing and sculpting this. I like this realistic take on his physique and just figured it was not about his age so much as his occupation. He's not a bodybuilder concerned about the perfect lat spread, but a warrior concerned about bashing in skulls.
nfactorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #184
toe
Alpha Flight

Quote:

WP
awesome.
toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #185
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Loving the comments in here Feeling the love!

I mentioned in another thread recently where a guy was saying "Conan needed to be bigger and roided up" and it's so wrong! Conan is a thief, he's quick and lithe, he's an athlete not a bodybuilder....i think a lot of people just think Schwarzenegger when they think Conan, so instantly think bodybuilder.

I still love the Arnie movie though as its own thing, it's just didn't get a lot of things right.

Would love to see an action pose for your next Conan project, maybe him taking on someone or something
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #186
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

last time i knew Conan was a barbarian not a thief. the whole thief thing. didn't that come from the AS film? and the way he was drawn in the comics he did have the physique of a body builder. has always been athletic. but always had that muscular build that is related to body builders.
i like this realistic take William P. has taken with this Conan. im glad i PO'ed it. my first Conan piece.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #187
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Loving the comments in here Feeling the love!

I mentioned in another thread recently where a guy was saying "Conan needed to be bigger and roided up" and it's so wrong! Conan is a thief, he's quick and lithe, he's an athlete not a bodybuilder....i think a lot of people just think Schwarzenegger when they think Conan, so instantly think bodybuilder.

I still love the Arnie movie though as its own thing, it's just didn't get a lot of things right.

Would love to see an action pose for your next Conan project, maybe him taking on someone or something
Every Conan doesn't have to look like Arnie, God I LOVE that movie but some movie fans are real idiots.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #188
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
last time i knew Conan was a barbarian not a thief. the whole thief thing. didn't that come from the AS film? and the way he was drawn in the comics he did have the physique of a body builder. has always been athletic. but always had that muscular build that is related to body builders.
i like this realistic take William P. has taken with this Conan. im glad i PO'ed it. my first Conan piece.
Robert Howard wrote Conan stories out of order in his life when he first wrote them. Sometimes he was young, sometimes middle aged, etc but in those in which he was young he was a thief. In the stories as he grows older he is many things; sailor, pirate, mercenary, soldier, military commander, and eventually King. Which is why I hate the continuous fur speedos representation of him, but that's just me.

After Howard died Lin Carter and L Sprague De Camp completed some "fragments" or outlines of stories Conan had and also converted some other character stories into Conan stories (Black Vulmea, for example) but I don't know if any were the ones where he was a thief. I think those were Howard and published in Wierd Tales before his death.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #189
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Glad to see you fellas are receptive to our vision on this piece. A little more insight- when we at QS talked about how we see Brutal, that same aesthetic concept for his physique carried over to his costume and weapons. You see he has no necklace, well that's because he's going to war, not to attend the latest movie opening or on a date with Red Sonja.

The clothing and weapons are not fancy or pretty, the are big and heavy with a minimalist design. That axe many not look like a king's, but he's not on parade, he's about to chop some SOB in half. And again, everything big, the belt, the helmet horns, his leather gloves and skirt made of thick hide, and so on. He's built and armed like a WW2 Tiger tank, but he's agile like a Sherman. And he's too old and seasoned to give a sh!t if you are afraid of him or not; he doesn't care and is not out to impress.

Cheers,

WP
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #190
Vracula
Jedi Order

Lol on another note what happened to that Death Dealer sneak? Will we ever see it??