Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #181
adee
Green Arrow

I'll be going to Michaels today to see if I can find Fabric -Tac.
I'm extremely nervous about doing this but feel that I must.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #182
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

if Michael's doesn't have it. you can find the beacon fabric tac at Joann fabrics.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #183
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
You can do it, bro! Have confidence...the results are extremely worth it. Just take your time.

I tried experimenting with the glue and a syringe last night, and the syringe is much easier to work with than the glue bottle. Allows for much more precision in terms of where you are putting the glue, and how much glue comes out.

You can get them at most hobby stores. I am definitely using one when my replacement body comes in.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #184
Bowen or Bust
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wow great paint job....man has skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGjKxmyhU68
Bowen or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #185
adee
Green Arrow

Gah first attempt failed. I went to Michaels and couldn't find Fabri Tac so I bought Super Fabric Adhesive thinking it would be the same thing. What was happening was the glue wasn't drying fast enough to let me move on to the next area and would easily pull up when released. I read the directions and it said the glue doesn't set until 2-6 hours.

I ordered Fabri tac and will give it another go when I get it. I'm guessing the fast drying is the key here.

I did get the idea of what needs to be done but the fabric didn't stretch as much as I was expecting it to. Did you guys actually fold it inside out while applying the glue?

I'm totally spooked now
Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #186
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
if Michael's doesn't have it. you can find the beacon fabric tac at Joann fabrics.
Quote:
Gah first attempt failed. I went to Michaels and couldn't find Fabri Tac so I bought Super Fabric Adhesive thinking it would be the same thing. What was happening was the glue wasn't drying fast enough to let me move on to the next area and would easily pull up when released. I read the directions and it said the glue doesn't set until 2-6 hours.

I ordered Fabri tac and will give it another go when I get it. I'm guessing the fast drying is the key here.

I did get the idea of what needs to be done but the fabric didn't stretch as much as I was expecting it to. Did you guys actually fold it inside out while applying the glue?

I'm totally spooked now
you dont have a Joann fabric shop in your location? they have it there.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #187
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
you dont have a Joann fabric shop in your location? they have it there.
Nah I just looked and Scarsdale was the closest.
No worries I had six ebay bucks I had to use
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #188
DynamicMenace

right on man.

here is a tip. dont have to cut the top off with a knife.

you can use #2 sewing needle or even a picture hanger nail , ya know the one that comes with that little metal bracket?

just poke it through the top. this will keep the glue coming out at a minimum.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #189
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:

I'm totally spooked now
Don't be spooked, bro...the fabri-tac is a totally different kind of stuff. It is almost rubbery...it grabs and holds after about 30 seconds to a minute of holding it in place.

The suit on mine did not seem as flexible as Raphael's, so I just pulled the fabric away from the body with my finger, and stuck the nozzle down in there to put glue on the seam.

Next time I do it, I am going to try using a glue syringe (got one at a local hobby shop). It has a very fine point, and after experimenting with it a bit, I found that the syringe allowed me to control how much glue was coming out much better than using the bottle.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #190
adee
Green Arrow

Thanks for the tips guys! I already pulled the fabric off the top so there is not turning back now lol. I was actually surprised that even just pulling the fabric up a little made a big difference. I am going to go all the way and glue the seams though. I think those that have done it successfully have shown that it really does look so much better.