Old 10-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #1891
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

IMAX poster available at AMC
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #1892
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Guess you don't like Comic Conventions much too. So many annoying fanboys.
In Conventions one can 'walk away' from the obnoxious ones, but at the Cinema you have no choice at all.

I can't stand the talking, screaming and cheering about everything that happens in the screen, that to me are the fanboys, correct me if I'm using it wrong.

I think the fan or the aficionado is the one that knows how to behave.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #1893
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Awwww, I guess that's settled then. I managed to stay spoiler free all summer but I don't mind seeing this. He's totally following the template of Ben Kenobi.
Definitely getting the impression that this will turn out to be a fairly close remake of Star Wars: A new Hope.

Luke Skywalker is going to pretty much be Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi and he will teach Rei the way of the force, who is playing the role of the new Luke. He will then get killed or something by the main villain.

Kinda reminds me of the lazy story writing in Star Trek Into Darkness, where they've literally just recreating scenes from previous movies.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #1894
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
So if this film shows him falling to the seduction of the dark side, in a way it would ruin the original trilogy?
I know exactly what you mean but isn't the Original Trilogy kind of get hurt because of the former one(E1-E3)? And not because they are bad or good or mediocre movies but how Anakin-the main character- was 'developed', that lame shot that was created by the Force-ala Jesus-, being an annoying kid-and young one-, his boring 'romance' with Padme and the fact that the only Jedis he hunt down and killed were kids....or maybe it was my fault and had the character in high standard-like an ultimate or cool villain- or maybe George Lucas didn't realize the real scope of what he created beyond the 'commercial' one....
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #1895
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
In Conventions one can 'walk away' from the obnoxious ones, but at the Cinema you have no choice at all.

I can't stand the talking, screaming and cheering about everything that happens in the screen, that to me are the fanboys, correct me if I'm using it wrong.

I think the fan or the aficionado is the one that knows how to behave.

Fortunately we don't get the cheering and whooping etc over here, just isn't part of the culture. But I hate cinemas myself, it's the rustling and crunching of popcorn that does it for me as I'm sensitive to eating noises big time... Still, I'm going to try and make an exception in this case, I'm not sure I'd be able to wait for the blu ray.

I'd happily pay double to go to a food free cinema if any entrepreneurs are listening...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #1896
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Thankfully none of that nonsense here either. Just respectful cinema goers. Love the cinema.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #1897
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
Definitely getting the impression that this will turn out to be a fairly close remake of Star Wars: A new Hope.

Luke Skywalker is going to pretty much be Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi and he will teach Rei the way of the force, who is playing the role of the new Luke. He will then get killed or something by the main villain.

Kinda reminds me of the lazy story writing in Star Trek Into Darkness, where they've literally just recreating scenes from previous movies.
I see some similarities, but

Let's not forget the main difference is there are 2 would be future jedi, one female and one male. In Star Wars Ben goes with Luke and winds up dying at the hand of Vader, in this film the male hero winds up in a saber duel with Kylo Ren in the snow. Is that Hoth? Does Hoth have trees?

It remains to be seen if Luke will get the Obi Wan becomes a ghost treatment.

So there do seem to be some major differences. So far it doesn't look like all JJ and his writers did was use the exact same story and just substitute new characters.

By the way, did you see the Red Letter Media video where they set up 3 tv's and watched 3 Transformers movies simultaneously and saw some astonishingly similar things happening on all three screens?
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #1898
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
I know exactly what you mean but isn't the Original Trilogy kind of get hurt because of the former one(E1-E3)? And not because they are bad or good or mediocre movies but how Anakin-the main character- was 'developed', that lame shot that was created by the Force-ala Jesus-, being an annoying kid-and young one-, his boring 'romance' with Padme and the fact that the only Jedis he hunt down and killed were kids....or maybe it was my fault and had the character in high standard-like an ultimate or cool villain- or maybe George Lucas didn't realize the real scope of what he created beyond the 'commercial' one....
I think it is possible to remember what you did like about the prequels and ignore what you didn't. I think some people ignore them altogether and pretend they were never made.

But the main difference going forward may be this, Which is more important, a character's past, or their future? I'd think it is the latter.

Does anyone really care a whole lot if Anakin Skywalker raced around in pod racers as a boy? Or even that he murdered a bunch of tusken raiders as a teenager?

Who cares what Luke did on Tatooine with wamprats before Star Wars picks up his story, but I care very much about what he did after he became the last known surviving Jedi. What does he do with all the training and power he has with the force? This really interests me. So in a way I think the prequels would be less important to most viewers than the stories in these films.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #1899
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

Quote:
I see some similarities, but

Let's not forget the main difference is there are 2 would be future jedi, one female and one male. In Star Wars Ben goes with Luke and winds up dying at the hand of Vader, in this film the male hero winds up in a saber duel with Kylo Ren in the snow. Is that Hoth? Does Hoth have trees?

It remains to be seen if Luke will get the Obi Wan becomes a ghost treatment.

So there do seem to be some major differences. So far it doesn't look like all JJ and his writers did was use the exact same story and just substitute new characters.

By the way, did you see the Red Letter Media video where they set up 3 tv's and watched 3 Transformers movies simultaneously and saw some astonishingly similar things happening on all three screens?
Not really surprised about the Transformers movies. Transformer 2 and 3 are pretty much identical stories.

First 30-45 minutes is just Sam Witwicky messing around and has got nothing at all do with the main plot and the last hour is just an action sequence. In between these two parts is just a bit of story progression and some more annoying comic relief characters.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #1900
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I think it is possible to remember what you did like about the prequels and ignore what you didn't. I think some people ignore them altogether and pretend they were never made.

But the main difference going forward may be this, Which is more important, a character's past, or their future? I'd think it is the latter.

Does anyone really care a whole lot if Anakin Skywalker raced around in pod racers as a boy? Or even that he murdered a bunch of tusken raiders as a teenager?

Who cares what Luke did on Tatooine with wamprats before Star Wars picks up his story, but I care very much about what he did after he became the last known surviving Jedi. What does he do with all the training and power he has with the force? This really interests me. So in a way I think the prequels would be less important to most viewers than the stories in these films.
I have to completely disagree with you here. I wanted to know more about Anakin the moment Obi-Wan started telling Luke about how he knew his father, how he was this great warrior and the best star pilot in the galaxy. Then we find out that Vader is actually Luke's father all along! Wait, what?!! How the @#$% did that happen? How did this once great warrior, amazing star pilot and friend to Obi-Wan become this dark and evil person? What incident could have left him in such a state that he'd need that mask and respirator for the rest of his life?

So many questions that could have told an incredible story. The prequels didn't exactly meet my expectations when I started thinking about the possibilities of Anakin's story, but the core tragedy of his time as a hero and his fall to the dark side is essentially there. The best way to fully experience Anakin's tale is to watch the animated series The Clone Wars. Anakin's portrayal there is much less whiny and bratty and you actually come to care for his character. He is someone you don't want to see meet his ultimate fate.

So while the prequels are definitely flawed I am still very glad they exist. Lucas' execution could have been much better, but he definitely told a story I was VERY much interested in learning more about.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote