Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

And where tha . . . . Is Robocop . . . Bah
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm a huge sci-fi fan but I've always thought Close Encounters of the Third Kind was overrated. 2001: A Space Oddyssey & Matrix would be lower on my list. I'd have Godzilla much higher. I like Star Ship Troopers, but having it about Khan...nope.

Overall not a bad list though, A lot of classics represented.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Concerning this list I see a lot I agree with but Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope should be FAR FAR lower. Easily top 5 IMO. No way films like Starship Troopers and Independence Day deserve to be ranked higher. Personally there are a lot of titles (the above two being a couple of them) that don't even belong on this list.

There are some glaring omissions too. Planet of the Vampires but no Planet of the Apes? Plus where are Jurassic Park, Back to the Future and The Road Warrior to name but just a few?

And more recent films like...

Inception, Avatar or District 9?

Hmm..B2TF, Planet of the Apes, Road Warrior, Jurassic Park - those are all excellent calls bro. Any of those could be on this list instead of Independence Day, Troopers, War of the Worlds (remake)

Good to see Carpenter's Thing on this list
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
while obviously theres science i don't think i've ever heard anybody call Frankenstein a sci-fi movie
Absolutely it's sci-fi!

Scientist recreates a human body from corpses and reanimates and through experimentation. It later rampages through the country side after killing a child until it is brought down by villagers.

This could be an Outer Limits episode
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Holy crap! Wells' Time Machine isn't on here...wow...the movie wasn't awesome, but better than some of the things on here...
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac
while obviously theres science i don't think i've ever heard anybody call Frankenstein a sci-fi movie

The novel Frankenstein is widely regarded as one of the earliest, if not the first, examples of science fiction; however, Universal's movie changes the story and definitely leans on the horror aspects. Whether or not it belongs on the list... that's a good question.

I was also very surprised by the absence of The Time Machine, or even Time After Time.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
There are some glaring omissions too. Planet of the Vampires but no Planet of the Apes? Plus where are Jurassic Park, Back to the Future and The Road Warrior to name but just a few?
i'll agree with all of those suggestions except road warrior, where the hell is the sci-fi in that world? it's a bunch of nomads driving around the desert in cars
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i'll agree with all of those suggestions except road warrior, where the hell is the sci-fi in that world? it's a bunch of nomads driving around the desert in cars
How is it not science fiction? It depicts an alternate world or possible future. It may not be as contrary to known reality as something like Star Wars but its still a post-apocalyptic setting where society has collapsed. That definitely qualifies it as Science Fiction.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
How is it not science fiction? It depicts an alternate world or possible future. It may not be as contrary to known reality as something like Star Wars but its still a post-apocalyptic setting where society has collapsed. That definitely qualifies it as Science Fiction.
So then movies like Outbreak and Contagion are Science Fiction?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
So then movies like Outbreak and Contagion are Science Fiction?
I guess to a certain degree but those aren't really based in a Science Fiction setting as much as they are developing into one. I'd classify those more as Dramas but suppose they could fall into either. A film like Children of Men on the other hand which is somewhat similar to the two you mentioned only it deals with the ramifications of a biological threat would be a better example of a film I'd consider Sci-Fi as it's set in a possible future.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote