Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I keep seeing his pieces pop up, and what can I say? The man can draw. He is really good imo
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #12
toolmaker1138
Doh!

Aric -You have good taste.
toolmaker1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 AM   #13
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I looked into this person's work after seeing this thread and had a blast. This guy's a real character. Love the dolls being used for subjects (especially the way he doesn't change their appearance at all so they look exactly like posed dolls)and trying to figure out what he used for reference or just trying to figure out what's going on on the page. The originals are like some weird Frankensteined together thing that I can rarely make out. He's using some very unusual processes to come up with stuff. It's baffling and fascinating. Cheers, Chris. Hope you took no offense. Looking at your stuff has been a lot of fun.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I looked into this person's work after seeing this thread and had a blast. This guy's a real character. Love the dolls being used for subjects (especially the way he doesn't change their appearance at all so they look exactly like posed dolls)and trying to figure out what he used for reference or just trying to figure out what's going on on the page. The originals are like some weird Frankensteined together thing that I can rarely make out. He's using some very unusual processes to come up with stuff. It's baffling and fascinating. Cheers, Chris. Hope you took no offense. Looking at your stuff has been a lot of fun.
My experience has been pretty much the same Chris. I see many pieces that are well rendered and have great eye appeal. As a collector I don’t see much appeal however as I always want my pieces to be both “one of a kind” and original in the creative sense. Unless it is an homage/recreation, this always applies for me personally.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
toolmaker1138
Doh!

Guys - I understand and (of course) while I do not agree 100% - appreciate the feedback- the best to the both of you -

www.chrisconidis.com

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=972616
toolmaker1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #16
sworetashie
Doh!

I have been collecting original art (on Ebay) for about ten years for fun. Discovered his work a little after he began posting. I have collected several (8) of his pieces since. I have also watched him mature in the last 2 years as an artist. While some of the pieces were definitely influenced by or were re-creations - a great deal of the work (especially more recently) really -are one of a kind. You do have to sift through a good bit though to get to the good stuff- as I noticed that he creates a ridiculous amount of illustrations per week. Some of which I am not a fan off and not that great compared to others. Definitely should not be dismissed -amazing draftsmanship - While, I can see where some of you are coming from- to dismiss the work and or rip it apart is a mistake. He is really good "imho" as well. Not a fan of the recreation type stuff as well but there are definitely some solid original pieces of his out there.
To each his own.
sworetashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Statue Forum.

Nobody is “ripping anything apart” from what I have seen. All opinions have been expressed constructively and in a manner that is completely acceptable. There seems to be some confusion about “one of a kind.” Technically, all hand drawn art is one of a kind but not all hand drawn pieces are always completely original. A piece that is copied from something else lacks a bit of originality and this is something that strikes a nerve with many collectors, especially if the source that was used (copied) is not cited as reference. Most people requesting a commission prefer a piece of art that is truly original (and one of a kind). The exception is for recreations and reinterpretations, etc. Expressing this opinion and calling out pieces that have obvious references is not “ripping apart” … rather, just an observation and sharing of personal preference.

CAF
Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
sworetashie
Doh!

Thank you-
No worries - "ripping apart" was the incorrect term - Love Chris' work though and there are some solid one of kind pieces out there -Hope to see him evolve even more.

Striking a nerve with collectors ? That is what Mike Hoffman is for-
take care
sworetashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
FelixComicArt
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Am aware of his work via eBay and CAF postings. One piece he posted on CAF a few months ago was a direct copy of a friend's Bolland commission. When the collector contacted Conidis about it, he got a really nasty reply. Funny you should bring up Mike Hoffman, because the temperament reminded me of Hoffman, too.
FelixComicArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #20
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixComicArt View Post
Am aware of his work via eBay and CAF postings. One piece he posted on CAF a few months ago was a direct copy of a friend's Bolland commission. When the collector contacted Conidis about it, he got a really nasty reply. Funny you should bring up Mike Hoffman, because the temperament reminded me of Hoffman, too.
I would find that very disappointing - as the person with the Bolland original, and the person receiving the copied piece. Unless of course a copy was requested and then it should be credited as "after Bolland" or something along those lines.

CAF