Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
rychehitman
Galactus

to be fair to Rob.....did your commission involve drawing feet??
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Ugh... I thought Carlito was asking if anyone had a car with a spacious trunk and/or a duffel bag.

My bad.

Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Have we learned nothing???? Never pay in advance....
Sometimes they don't give you a choice - if you want a commission from that artist - that's what they request...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Sam
Hydra

Agree with Ratchet I do. It all depends on the artist. Either you want a piece from that artist or you don't. If they require money up front, you can either say "Ok" and get on their list, or you can keep your money and say "No". I have, right now, about 12 commissions that I am waiting for. With the exception of Chris Stevens, every one of them has requested at least 50% down with most requiring 100% payment up front.

These aren't no-name artists that I picked because they were cheap. These are artists who particular work I like and wish to have in my collection for one reason of another. So, if they want their money upfront, and I want the commission piece, guess what? I gotta pony up with the $. Of course, they've gotta pony up with the art. That's the way the contract goes, even if it's just a "verbal" contract.

If you have a choice, don't pay in advance. But sometimes you don't have a choice.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
Sam
Hydra

Good luck Carlito. Please let us know what happens.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #16
Underdog07
Hercules

All kidding aside, I do hate reading these tales and wish they did not happen. Hopefully you will get your piece soon
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

thanks guys. i'm new to the commission game and this was the first one from a name artist that i have tried for. and i did this one about a year ago before i learned of the golden rule of never pay in full in advance.

rob actually shot me an email today - the first in about 4 months. goes to show you the power of the internet! hopefully i get a good resolution - feet and all.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
ROM2099
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

There are only a handful of trust worthy professional comic book artists out there. Most of them are old school like JOHN BYRNE. The majority of the scum bags who are "professional artists" have almost zero work ethic and absolutely no care in the world if they frack over a "client" - why? Because they get paid too much for the work they do for the comic companies, the fans treat them like rock stars, they don't have to really "work" for a living, they believe there is an endless supply of mopes who will literally give them money for commissions - and they're right. Here's an idea -- STOP COMMISSIONING THESE LOSERS !! When the well starts to run dry for the Michael Goldens, Rob Leifelds, Joe Rubinsteins, Art Adams, Anthony Castrillos, etc etc etc etc etc -- maybe these guys will start showing some ethics - like doing the work FIRST and being paid on completion (like John Byrne, George Perez, etc)
ROM2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Mean Green
Fantomah

Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROM2099 View Post
There are only a handful of trust worthy professional comic book artists out there. Most of them are old school like JOHN BYRNE. The majority of the scum bags who are "professional artists" have almost zero work ethic and absolutely no care in the world if they frack over a "client" - why? Because they get paid too much for the work they do for the comic companies, the fans treat them like rock stars, they don't have to really "work" for a living, they believe there is an endless supply of mopes who will literally give them money for commissions - and they're right. Here's an idea -- STOP COMMISSIONING THESE LOSERS !! When the well starts to run dry for the Michael Goldens, Rob Leifelds, Joe Rubinsteins, Art Adams, Anthony Castrillos, etc etc etc etc etc -- maybe these guys will start showing some ethics - like doing the work FIRST and being paid on completion (like John Byrne, George Perez, etc)
While I mostly agree with your sentiment, I can't believe you'd lump Art Adams into this category. He SPECIFICALLY doesn't take any money for anything up front because he says he doesn't know if he's ever going to do something someone asks for. Is it a little frustrating as a collector who wants to get something? Sure, but he's honest about it. He never takes your money, says something is going to get done and then disappears. If he's done it to you, you're the only one I've ever heard this about.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote