Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #11
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Oh, this is from the Director of The VVitch... Now, i am interested because The VVitch had that subtle between the lines story that spoke to me as i thought about the film. I will definetly see The Northman in theathers.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
qz33
Baron Zemo

Genuine help always makes something better but catering to the bottom line is a recipe for mediocrity obviated by the majority of movies we get now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Some films benefit from being hands off and some from having another set of eyes check them. We will only know the final product and everything I've seen I'm excited to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Agreed on your second point and partly on your first point. How long can any company survive if they constantly cater to a small number of complainers though? Have you seen the the stock points for Disney and Netflix lately?
Oh no this is no long term strategy. Just short term financial decisions born of fear for greed and employment.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #13
Bottled_Water
Birdman

As far as I've read none of the studio interference had to do with PC culture, but rather making it accessable and entertaining.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-...plus-a-poster/

None of this means the film will be bad, so I'm still hopeful.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #14
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Oh, this is from the Director of The VVitch... Now, i am interested because The VVitch had that subtle between the lines story that spoke to me as i thought about the film. I will definetly see The Northman in theathers.
I'd suggest The Lighthouse (his other film) as well. DaFoe and Pattinson are great in it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #15
qz33
Baron Zemo

Again most studio interference is geared towards the financial bottlom line (even PC culture catering is NOT altruistic! )

Just cause I don't like hearing of interference for the benefit of a broader mainstream audience doesn't mean I've written off the movie before I even see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottled_Water View Post
As far as I've read none of the studio interference had to do with PC culture, but rather making it accessable and entertaining.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-...plus-a-poster/

None of this means the film will be bad, so I'm still hopeful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'd suggest The Lighthouse (his other film) as well. DaFoe and Pattinson are great in it.
Is Lighthouse really good or is it just so weird people like it? I'm willing to give it a shot but not so inclined to make an effort for a disappointment.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #16
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

im really looking forward to this as Robert Eggers is one of my favorite directors right now, but hes kind of like a Stanley Kubrick visionary type director, I think he works better without studio interference, which is probably why the the VVitch and the Lighthouse were so incredible, they were both for A24 studios which is great for letting the directors tell the stories they want, but the Northman is his first "big budget" movie and the first movie hes made outside A24 so I feared there would be studio interference which could be a really bad thing for a director such as Robert.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #17
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

Is Lighthouse really good or is it just so weird people like it? I'm willing to give it a shot but not so inclined to make an effort for a disappointment.
Bit of both...hard to say why people like things.

It definitely isn't a mainstream film if that's what you mean. I think the performances are great and if the barrier is free I think it is worth seeing. Up to anyone ultimately if they feel something wouldn't be their taste.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #18
Mister H
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

I would say it?s good. For the most part. The first 75% I really enjoyed. Not a movie you can watch a lot.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #19
Bottled_Water
Birdman

The Lighthouse reminded me of The Shining: a bizarre and unsettling trip that leaves things up for interpretation. I liked it well enough but it's not something I'm itching to watch again.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #20
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

So this is a hollywood blockbuster film, huh... Why did they choose an art director to shoot a blockbuster ?!?!? and tortured him with limited creative freedom... Did they short in hand like the hacks like Michael Bay to shoot their brainless cooky cutter blockbuster ?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote