Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
Nightcrawler777
spooky...

No Interest From Me..

I go to Movies to Escape Reality for the Most Part..

If it was a well done Documentery i might be interested..

But as a Summer Popcorn Flick not at all..
Nightcrawler777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Nightwinger, I really don't think that time will ever make seeing this any easier. You cited Private Ryan as an example. I can tell you that I saw this with my Grandfather, who served there, and even though it had been a very long time, he was very shaken and emotional.

The beauty of a movie like 'Ryan, and hopefully Flight 93 and WTC is that if done by someone who really cares, the moment is truly captured and represented as a permanent record and reminder to the American people. As a police officer, I volunteered to go to ground zero but the response was so overwhelming, that myself and the other officers in my department were turned down.

For a short time, the public treated cops and fireman with respect that has not been shown to us for a very long time (not that some of us don't act like jerks and cause hard feelings....we are human....). The problem is, the general public has a very short memory and within a year, the majority fell back to comfortable old habits.

There is hardly a day that goes by when I don't think about one of my brothers and sisters who gave their lives to save others, or gave their all to deal with the catastrophe that that horrible day was.

I hope that WTC is an appropriate and accurate portrayal of those sacrifices, and serves as a reminder to those with short memories. Just my 2 cents.
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #13
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Thumbs down

WAY too early. The wounds are not even heale'd yet. Give it a least some time, like the Titanic. Greedy Hollywwod bastards. BIG pass from me...
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I have to say that was difficult to watch. Having lived in NYC for a while i consider it my second home and probably the greatest place on earth. I am sure Oliver Stone will make a film that will respect the memories of the people who died on that day.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #15
Nightwinger
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ziggy
Nightwinger, I really don't think that time will ever make seeing this any easier. You cited Private Ryan as an example. I can tell you that I saw this with my Grandfather, who served there, and even though it had been a very long time, he was very shaken and emotional.

For a short time, the public treated cops and fireman with respect that has not been shown to us for a very long time (not that some of us don't act like jerks and cause hard feelings....we are human....). The problem is, the general public has a very short memory and within a year, the majority fell back to comfortable old habits.

I hope that WTC is an appropriate and accurate portrayal of those sacrifices, and serves as a reminder to those with short memories. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for sharing the story about your Grandpa.

I guess something NEVER can be 'gotton over'. And I wonder if they should
be....????

I have mixed feelings about seeing a 'realistic' as possible landing on the beach scene.

On one had, it was a cinematic feat,well done.
Does it glorify war...????
Do we become better people for seeing this..???
Will history NOT repeat itself is movies like this are made..???

Sadly, I have to say no. A movie isn't going to change someones mind.

I agree. I go to the movie to escape/be entertained from real life.

It's a shame that society has digressed into not respecting authority figures.
Have some people in authority done some bad things,sure.
But it's sad that people use that as an excuse. Putting more
pressure on those police and emergency folks,that are in an already stressful
job. And so the snow ball continues down the hill.

I will not see this movie.
Nightwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #16
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I don't think Saving Private Ryan glorified war at all. I recall going the the cinema and watching the opening sequence and the cinema which had around 2500 people at the time was in complete silence. Infact alot of people were crying. If it made people realise what our grandparents have gone through then i think it is a good story to tell.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #17
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

you & probably alot of other people
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Hard to watch....but I'll probably go watch it anyways......so that I won't forget and take things for granted........
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #19
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

You could argue that the films titanic and pearl harbour are in bad taste, grafting a fictional romance (a very poor one in the case of pearl harbour) onto a real life tragic event.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #20
Shangrilien
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
You could argue that the films titanic and pearl harbour are in bad taste, grafting a fictional romance (a very poor one in the case of pearl harbour) onto a real life tragic event.
Nowadays, romance sells more than a lonely hero. "They" hope it creates a sentimental link with the audience.
Look at Cage character : you see him with his wife hugging and kissing eachother before he enters hell. I don't think the impact will be the same if you had John McLane or Rambo entering the towers.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter or disgusted. It has nothing to do with the actual event. It has to do with Hollywood attitude : put these two movies together and I just see a blockbusters battle like Armageddon vs. Deep impact, or Volcano vs Dante's Peak. No matter how "good" these movies might be ...
Shangrilien is offline   Reply With Quote