Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Such a sick and twisted world we live in...
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Copied from the CBC website:

Quote:
For every last one of you who thinks the passengers were cowards and who say they'd have confronted him, well, fine. It's entirely possible that in confronting fear you would have ended up a second head for this nutjob to be waving around out the window. What good would you have ended up doing then?

I'm a doctor. One of our crappiest responsibilities in emergencies or mass casualties is triage; you have to make a decision, often very quickly, whether someone can be saved or whether they're too far gone. From what it sounds like, there's not a single thing that anyone could have done to save that kid's life; with a hunting knife and fifty to sixty slashes, wielded by a large man with what sounds like a fairly single minded determination to kill someone. It's a terrible choice, but likely that kid was doomed the moment this guy pulled the knife. By the time anyone realized what was happening, there were likely multiple wounds with one or more of them fatal. If he wasn't dead then, he probably would have been soon.

Do I know that for sure? Of course I don't. But in a split second decision, am I going to risk myself becoming a second victim or am I going to do what I can to make sure he doesn't have his pick of over thirty others? Am I a coward for knowing that the best thing I can do is try to protect the people who aren't hurt before this maniac goes after one of them?

The first thing anyone trying to be a hero would have to do would be to get everyone else off. By the time that happened, the kid's likely going to be dead. What will confronting the killer serve at that point? The passenger and the driver had the best idea out of a whole lot of crappy choices - try to contain him until help arrives.

For some people, though, who feel that everyone who doesn't run to tackle a knife-wielding madman is a desensitized coward or an accomplice to murder, I'm getting the impression that a lot of people think that the only way to be a hero is to be the big, brave action hero who takes the man down. I'd like to think I could do that, too. I'd like to think I could try. But when you sit down and think about it, the chances of you being the hero are a lot less than you being the second casualty, or worse.

You do what you can for the people you can help. Triage. Crappy mathematics for crappy times. It sucks, but there it is.

And for those of you who say you would have rather died trying; that's brave, but odds are you would have done absolutely no good at all
Just a thought for those that think they're heroes and talk like their sh1t don't stink.
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
TEXAN75
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

WTF!
Sick people all over...
TEXAN75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

The details of this crime are so gruesome.
The first thought that I had was why didn't anyone stop him?
He was like 5'4 130lbs and 40 years old.
There musta been somebody on a bust full of 30 people
that could have subdued him.
Even so, the demented world we live in these days, no one is truly safe.
And when you think you are, that's about the time when something crazy happens.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
The details of this crime are so gruesome.
The first thought that I had was why didn't anyone stop him?
He was like 5'4 130lbs and 40 years old.
There musta been somebody on a bust full of 30 people
that could have subdued him.
Even so, the demented world we live in these days, no one is truly safe.
And when you think you are, that's about the time when something crazy happens.
I believe he was said to be more around 6'0 and 200lbs with sunglasses. Everyone likes to think they're brave but there are smarter choices than rushing headfirst into a murder you know nothing about, Captain Picard.
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogled View Post
I believe he was said to be more around 6'0 and 200lbs with sunglasses.
I misread the Yahoo news, I guess the guy he killed was
short and weighed 130lbs.
Still don't bus drivers carry shovels or things like clubs?
I sure as hell would. I know some of them here have to deal with loosers who get on drunk and start sh!t.
A blunt object repeatedly to the side of this guy's head woulda done the trick.
He'll probably get an insanity plea and a hospitalization.
I don't know they do it in Canada?
Is there a death penalty?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogled View Post
Everyone likes to think they're brave but there are smarter choices than rushing headfirst into a murder you know nothing about, Captain Picard.
Right.
Because most of the time people are justified in decapitating other citizens?
How much info do you need about a murder before you try to intervene?
PS
Picard will always be 2nd to Kirk
IMO
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
I saw this on the news last night... a bus full of people and all of them were cowards... noone even helped and all they did was trap him on the bus... people piss me off...
Its tough to say what you would do in that situation until you are in it. Sadly the guy was probably dead before anyone really knew what was going on.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #19
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Its tough to say what you would do in that situation until you are in it. Sadly the guy was probably dead before anyone really knew what was going on.
I agree. Honestly my first priority would be to make sure I get my wife and kid off the bus safely. Once that's done I doubt I'm going back in the bus to fight the knife wielding maniac.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Everyone's a hero I think anyone who saw that would be scared stiff, that's just too f*cked up, your mind couldn't even comprehend what's happening.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote