Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
this is just a devils advocate shot here BUT this guy is not claiming that any of this is his own work soo whats 100% wrong with what he's doing?? (ok so he does not put this is originally by Alex Ross or etc but this are all VERY well known pieces of art) He's doing oil paintings of famous comic art that cannot be bought as a oil painting from the original artist....

whats the difference between a cover recreation by an artist and this?
That's a good question... I have one cover recreation - mainly because I know I would never be able afford the original - but I never saw anything wrong with it because I knew what I was getting is a recreation. As long as the original artist gets credit for it...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Yeesh... I've seen this before. Every so often, we see someone selling a whole bunch of repaints and reproductions at really cheap prices. These paintings are usually done in China or in India by artists paid very little. The quality is typically craptastic.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
this is just a devils advocate shot here BUT this guy is not claiming that any of this is his own work soo whats 100% wrong with what he's doing?? (ok so he does not put this is originally by Alex Ross or etc but this are all VERY well known pieces of art) He's doing oil paintings of famous comic art that cannot be bought as a oil painting from the original artist....

whats the difference between a cover recreation by an artist and this?
Isn't that what Rob did? A swipe is a swipe is a swipe.
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Professor Oreo
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
That's a good question... I have one cover recreation - mainly because I know I would never be able afford the original - but I never saw anything wrong with it because I knew what I was getting is a recreation. As long as the original artist gets credit for it...

The problem is that he doesn't own the copyrights to the images that he is repainting, and the copyright owners are not being compensating financially at all as he makes a profit from his derivative use of their work. He is making money off of their work without their permission and without sharing any of the cash. It's blatant copyright infringement.

Now that people are really starting to catch wind of what he's doing I'd be surprised if Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner Bros don't have him shut down by the end of the week.
Professor Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
Isn't that what Rob did? A swipe is a swipe is a swipe.
What the hell does Rob have to do with this??? this thread is nothing to do with him ughh
this is NOT being passed off by the artist as the original one of a kind works these are all well known pieces and if someone is buying these thinking they ARE the originals then they are just stupid and should not be buying art to begin with. To me this is no diff than buying a cover recreation by an artist who did not do the original. Should the recreating artist put on there " after.... based on art by... etc." yes but this guy is not going.. " this is my creation" these are REcreations so its totally diff in my book. Now to take a swipe from a comic panel and then say its your original idea and not give the original artist credit is WRONG but this is a whole diff thing in my book...

Also are you sayin that NO artist should do cover recreations??? if a swipe is a swipe is a swipe because does not matter if the original artist is given credit its still a swipe???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oreo View Post
The problem is that he doesn't own the copyrights to the images that he is repainting, and the copyright owners are not being compensating financially at all as he makes a profit from his derivative use of their work. He is making money off of their work without their permission and without sharing any of the cash. It's blatant copyright infringement.

Now that people are really starting to catch wind of what he's doing I'd be surprised if Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner Bros don't have him shut down by the end of the week.
Ok and on your side then NO artist should be drawing any commissions of copyrighted characters at all as the copyright holders get nothing from artist commissions... before you chime back in with thats diff NO it's not any art of a copyrighted character that is not licensed thru the copyright holder is by definition infringement.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Wow....

http://shop.ebay.com/heroicart-com/m..._sop=12&_rdc=1

Dude doesn't care who he steals from. If I was Alex Ross, I would be pretty pissed off.
wow indeed! That's a lot of paintings
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
What the hell does Rob have to do with this??? this thread is nothing to do with him ughh
What do you mean! IT has everything to do with him. Another artist / company stealing other artists work and passing it off as their own. Come on, it is exactly the same thing as the Rob situation.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oreo View Post

Quote:
this is NOT being passed off by the artist as the original one of a kind works these are all well known pieces and if someone is buying these thinking they ARE the originals then they are just stupid and should not be buying art to begin with. To me this is no diff than buying a cover recreation by an artist who did not do the original. Should the recreating artist put on there " after.... based on art by... etc." yes but this guy is not going.. " this is my creation" these are REcreations so its totally diff in my book. Now to take a swipe from a comic panel and then say its your original idea and not give the original artist credit is WRONG but this is a whole diff thing in my book...

Also are you sayin that NO artist should do cover recreations??? if a swipe is a swipe is a swipe because does not matter if the original artist is given credit its still a swipe???

Ok and on your side then NO artist should be drawing any commissions of copyrighted characters at all as the copyright holders get nothing from artist commissions... before you chime back in with thats diff NO it's not any art of a copyrighted character that is not licensed thru the copyright holder is by definition infringement.
I was going to say what Lee said - these artists are making money off characters that they don't own - recreations, to me, are different - but that's not how everyone feels - it's not to say either side is right - but there are a lot of grey areas when it comes to this issue -

As far as Granito - yeah - what HE did was incredibly wrong - he passed off work like he did it when in fact it was not
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
What do you mean! IT has everything to do with him. Another artist / company stealing other artists work and passing it off as their own. Come on, it is exactly the same thing as the Rob situation.
where on that site or his ebay auctions does he claim they are HIS ideas or that he did the covers to these pieces etc?? that is the Difference... in his auctions he puts "Batman OIL PAINTING(700 cover) 30x20 not giclee popart" OK where does he say " I was the original artist to Batman #700 cover" so this is a whole diff ballgame he's not claiming to be the original creator of the pieces hell if you look at them and think you that the original cover to comics are 30x20 oil paintings and you can buy them for a few hundred dollars then your an idiot and should not be buying art at all.... As I said before should he put in the info etc that these are recreations based on the works of(insert artist here) YES but this is a whole diff thing

I have no idea who this artist is but I look at what he is doing totally diff than what Rob or any other swipe artist does. To me these are recreations of very famous pieces of art done affordable so that the mass market can afford and enjoy them.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
where on that site or his ebay auctions does he claim they are HIS ideas or that he did the covers to these pieces etc?? that is the Difference... in his auctions he puts "Batman OIL PAINTING(700 cover) 30x20 not giclee popart" OK where does he say " I was the original artist to Batman #700 cover" so this is a whole diff ballgame he's not claiming to be the original creator of the pieces hell if you look at them and think you that the original cover to comics are 30x20 oil paintings and you can buy them for a few hundred dollars then your an idiot and should not be buying art at all.... As I said before should he put in the info etc that these are recreations based on the works of(insert artist here) YES but this is a whole diff thing
Where on his ebay auctions does he say 'Original done by Alex Ross?'

Here is what annoys me about this dude:

No Ink Jet Printers, Giclee Prints or cheaply produced poster printed Canvas. All our pieces are painted using high quality paints and canvas. You cannot compare cheaply produced methods to pieces that are meticulously hand painted...colour is richer, brush strokes and texture are evident, and most importantly what you will own will be clearly an oil painting rather than a picture, each one therefore, is one of a kind.

As you may notice our pricess are very competitive when compared to art galleries and other suppliers on eBay. Rest assured however that quality is not compromised, infact, the quaity of artwork will exceed run of the mill mass produced pieces available from other sources. Trading online means we do not incur the costs of maintaining a retail outlet and enables us to focus on the elements of the business that matters most - namely, producing high quality paintings for you , the customer.

Maybe I am just wrong Lee, but to me, it seems exactly the same thing. Another artist not giving any credit to the original artist, and passing it off as a much better piece of work.