Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
maddmaestro
Death is hereditary.

I might suggest going the original sculpey method, then using super and firm for detailing. Never done anything that large, but if fitting it in your oven is a problem you can either work in stages building your armature so it comes apart into several pieces, or use the boiling method... good luck Mallock! Also what are you creating?
maddmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
taarna
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hey dude I use airdry clay ,it is exactly the same as kiln clay used for pottery but it airdrys ,you can work on a project forever just spritz it down with water and cover with plastic !!! I have done four life size headbusts and working on one now !! I start with a basic wood armature and bulk it out with styrofoam taped to the wood to get a basic form !! and the add the clay and keep it moist and covered and you can work on it forever !!when your happy gradually let it dry ,its common for cracking to occur so I use BONDO auto body repair compound and apply and sand and repeat until you get the desired texture you want !! Its time consuming !! but a fun learning curve!! I would like to find a better lighter method !! will probably try fibreglass soon to experiment !! The airdry clay can be bought at pottery distributors in 25 or 50 pound blocks !! and its cheap compared to other mediums !!! PM me if you want some in progress shots !!! ADVICE !!! Be patient and have fun and use lots of referance material!!!!
taarna is offline   Reply With Quote