Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Seantree...

EYES eh? Well here's some food for thought and take it for what it's worth. Eyes are something that really take time to learn how to do. They take even more time and practice to do well.

Eyes are somewhat round so you could technically get away with any round shape that you can buy. Beads, BBs, etc...

But if you really really look... they are not perfectly round. You will see that they are a bit oblong and taper back toward the cheeks and into the socket. The eyelids follow that oblong shape and scrunch at the corners as they are just folds of skin that surround and protect the eyeball itself.

How I sculpt them is to place an oval shape raise in the socket and GENTLY carve and dig and scrape away the center. This is the eyeball. THen you poke and tuck and further work the shape until it starts to look like a decent eye with lids.

Bottom line is that there is no easy trick way and it takes some doing with however you choose to do it. Observe and practice... Observe and practice....

Not the best answer... but it's the same answer I was given when I was learning...

Good luck, don't ever settle, and HAVE FUN!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
katherla
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
Bottom line is that there is no easy trick way and it takes some doing with however you choose to do it. Observe and practice... Observe and practice....

Good luck, don't ever settle, and HAVE FUN!
This is pretty much how the entire process of sculpting/painting/etc goes.
katherla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
seantree
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I kind of figured that to be the case. I spent last eve with a ball of sculpey just sculpting eyes into it. I'll get there eventually. Thanks for the assistance/tips though. You guys are great.
seantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
montoy
Frackin!

well was a about to put a ques regarding the eye.

here is my question:
do you really have to put the iris and dot at the eye
when sculpting a figure lets say 1:6 scale.
or is it just a guide? what is it for?
thanks in advance masters. (",)
montoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 AM   #15
Ridimous
Spider-Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
I use little metal balls then form sockets around it, still practicing but works for me.

BTW, is that Guile? Lookig really good!
Where do you find these balls? What size are they?
Ridimous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridimous View Post
Where do you find these balls? What size are they?
I got those balls from those "Mind Bender puzzles", they're little clear plastic box with metal balls rolling around inside and you have to fit them into some holes or whatnot, it was meant to be meant to be a puzzle or something...

I found them in my LCS and their size is ideal for any 1/8 sculpts or they have bigger ones that can be used in 1/6 sculpts.

I just break the little box and take the balls out.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
adee
Green Arrow

My problem has always been with the symmetry of the eyes. It will look as if I got them right until I look at it in the mirror then everything looks way off.

The more I try to sculpt the more admiration I feel towards the guys who do it well.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #18
Ridimous
Spider-Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
I got those balls from those "Mind Bender puzzles", they're little clear plastic box with metal balls rolling around inside and you have to fit them into some holes or whatnot, it was meant to be meant to be a puzzle or something...

I found them in my LCS and their size is ideal for any 1/8 sculpts or they have bigger ones that can be used in 1/6 sculpts.

I just break the little box and take the balls out.
Thanks Rider. I thought there's actually a place where you can just buy these with no trouble. But in that case, I think I'll just bust a couple of my skateboard bearings. They look about the same size.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
Ridimous
Spider-Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
My problem has always been with the symmetry of the eyes. It will look as if I got them right until I look at it in the mirror then everything looks way off.

The more I try to sculpt the more admiration I feel towards the guys who do it well.
Yeah, this happen to me too. Symmetry is really hard. My eyes would look good then it'll be crooked after.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #20
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridimous View Post
Yeah, this happen to me too. Symmetry is really hard. My eyes would look good then it'll be crooked after.
Always ALYWAYS make holes for eyes before you make the nose, align the eyes right is a MUCH easier task without nose in the way.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote