Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
heirtoasguard
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Tet, where has it stated that the Thing is in Class 100? I've heard someone saying that too. also about Colossus .
heirtoasguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
The Thing started out a lot weaker than he had been for the majority of his history.

By the "book" (OHOTMU, that is) he went from about the 5-ton range in his original lumpy form, to 85 tons in his brick-form, to Class 100 when he mutated further into his spikey period.

Since his return to his original brick-like form, he has maintained that Class 100 level. Now, since all Class 100 states, is that he is able to routinely lift more than 100 tons, it is difficult to say with certainty how he compares with other Class 100 strength characters.
Huh...I didn't realize that the Thing was that comparably weak originally. Interesting.

I'm glad to hear Ben is in the Class 100 range now; he should be able to go toe-to-toe with Colossus, and beat down some of the lesser "strong guy" characters. Like Strong Guy, for example.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
jsnchrry
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I found this tonite while doing a little research online, its a Marvel directory complete with strength classes for marvel characters.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/strengthlevels/index.htm
jsnchrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirtoasguard View Post
Tet, where has it stated that the Thing is in Class 100? I've heard someone saying that too. also about Colossus .
I know I've read it somewhere... let me see if I can't track down a scan of the issue.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkari1 View Post
My my how the mighty are fallen. I remember a time that Ben could go toe to toe with the Hulk and come out looking pretty good. Times have changed and Ben plays second fiddle to just about everyone. He should be stronger than Colossus and just as durable and a better fighter. He can hang with the Hulk for a while based on skill but inthe end he gets beaten...
Actually, I don't recall this at all. In their first meetings, FF #12 and FF #24-25 Benjy could last for a while but eventually was completely overpowered by The Hulk. To my knowledge, only when Hulk went gray and Thing went spikey Ben's strength was more than Hulk's. But this was a brief aberration. Hulk's always been significantly more powerful than The Thing.

I agree that he should be stronger than Colossus.

Last edited by wktf; 06-14-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Add in more of Makkari's post.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Most of the Hulk Thing fights were more of a testament to Ben's determination and spirit than strength.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Most of the Hulk Thing fights were more of a testament to Ben's determination and spirit than strength.
How true. I'll always remember the impactful caption when they fought in FF #167 as Reed, Sue and Johnny watched these two within a crowd watch these two fight: "Yet, three among them know the awful, unspeakable truth: Against the Hulk -- the Thing Cannot win!"
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Well put.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnchrry View Post
I found this tonite while doing a little research online, its a Marvel directory complete with strength classes for marvel characters.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/strengthlevels/index.htm
Interesting...someone at Marvel's done some revamping here, though. They're nickel and diming some characters down in order to buff others up. Colossus, for example, should be stronger than Sandman, or at least as strong. I have no problem with the Thing being stronger than Colossus (I think he should be), but She-Hulk too? I don't think so.

And why in the world is Magneto in Class 100? He's able to lift 100 tons or more of metal, sure, but not due to physical strength.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
jsnchrry
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:

Hulk-“Remember all those times I beat you up?”
Grimm says- “Yeah?”
Hulk says, “I was going easy on you.”

Incredible Hulk #365
jsnchrry is offline   Reply With Quote