Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Own 'em both on VHS. Haven't made the jump to disk yet but, I too, enjoy The Shadow. Ever seen Doc Savage? Now that's a triple feature.
I haven't actually but have been tempted many times. I always figured it was painfully bad so I've avoided it. Should I seriously check it out?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Phantom was a fun flick, and pretty faithful really, at least for the most part (okay you could see Walker's eyes, but still...). Plus it was written by Jeffrey Boam who gave the world Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade, Adventures of Brisco County jr, Lethal Weapon 2, Lost Boys, Innerspace, Straight Time (based on Eddie Bunker's book), and Cronenberg's Dead Zone adaptation, so it's not like it was spewed out by some random hack. If it had been lucky enough to have had a stronger director and a couple of better actors then I think it could have been far better than the still pretty fun pulpy adventure that it was.

And while purple is indeed a tough colour to pull off, especially in the jungle, Billy Zane did so pretty damn well for the most part, and I think the lame ass tag line of "Slam Evil!" probably did the movie more damage in the long run. Honestly, I can't think of a more cringeworthy tag line campaign than that one, and it almost instantly became a pop-culture joke, which did the film little favours...

Don't get me wrong, Phantom is no classic, and it's certainly uneven in spots (though word is the studio cut *a lot* of footage prior to release to make it faster paced), but much like The Rocketeer, it's a film that's better than it's regarded as being in the mass public consciousness methinks.

Anyway, the odd thing about this is that a big screen Phantom reboot called The Phantom Legacy, and taking a much darker and more serious approach - more like the modern era Phantom comics and following the darker comic book movie trend, was announced as fully funded and going forward late last year, with a release date of 2011. Rival Phantom projects perhaps? We shall see...
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I haven't actually but have been tempted many times. I always figured it was painfully bad so I've avoided it. Should I seriously check it out?
Absolutely. Producer George Pal brought Doc to the big screen and while the movie's mired in some pretty cheesy 70's special effects, the basic dynamic between Doc and his team is there. It's a combination story, bringing together plot-lines from the 1st 2 or 3 books. Ron Ely makes a pretty good Doc although he doesn't sport the Bama crew cut.

I saw over on aintitcoolnews just yesterday that you can order the DVD directly from Warner Bros. for $19.95. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40523
I mentioned it as part of a triple feature on account that all 3 films would take place pre wwII.
Cool, for period piece, costume, super hero flicks.
Bottom line...fun.

*Lets not forget that Kathryn Zeta Jones was in The Phantom, before Zorro, looking absolutely incredible.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
abarron
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
lol very true. I actually did enjoy that film somewhat. Then again I also enjoyed The Shadow too.
Agreed enjoyed both movies.
This could be interesting
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Absolutely. Producer George Pal brought Doc to the big screen and while the movie's mired in some pretty cheesy 70's special effects, the basic dynamic between Doc and his team is there. It's a combination story, bringing together plot-lines from the 1st 2 or 3 books. Ron Ely makes a pretty good Doc although he doesn't sport the Bama crew cut.
Cool I will check it out then. I just checked Netflix though and they don't have it so I'll either have to blind buy it or hope I can find it in a local video store.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Looks like this is going to be a total re-imagining/modern take on the classic character. Which might not be a bad thing.

Here is a sneak peak at the character design and a bit about the premise. http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/get-a-s...k-at-the-t.php
Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #17
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

The Phantom
The Shadow
Doc Savage

Got it!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
Babytoxie
Ghost

This looks like absolute crap! Nowhere to go but up from here.

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/knaufs-s...om-100312.html
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #19
Babytoxie
Ghost

So did anyone watch this BS?

I watched a bit on Syfy the other night - soooooo bad. They weren't even trying. I can't understand why they'd shell out $$$ for the rights to a classic character with such a rich history and then produce something that is intentionally horrible. I say "intentionally" because there's no other explanation as to why it would be so low-grade.

Why even call it The Phantom? Why not save some money on licensing, create your own character and situations that are modeled on The Phantom, and call it a day?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Man I forgot this was on. Saw a trailer for it while watching Stargate Universe a few weeks back and it actually looked like it had some potential. Sounds like I didn't miss much.