Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
XMAN
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I still have mine. Ron Lim was doing commissions and there was no way I was missing out on the opportunity. I was 15 at the time so this was my entire convention budget but it was worth it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=260329
Very nice piece....congrats.
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Those are all very cool pieces. That Lim piece was definitely an awesome piece to start off with. My first piece (as shown in the first post)...I can't even remember the artist's first name. He was a local amateur I'm guessing, but it was enough to get me into the hobby. Not sure whether I should be thanking him for that, or not. I sure have blown a lot of cash on art the past 12 years...lol.
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #13
Statue and Bust
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

My first commission was this Thor from Whilce Portacio. I picked it up from him at the Boston Comic Con back in 2009.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=507744
Statue and Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
ftrain1
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1001129

This was the first piece of art I ever got. I didn't know that artists actually did sketches for fans, so I wasn't prepared at all when one of my favorite artists, Marc Silvestri, asked if I wanted a sketch. I had no sketchbook and no concept of what I wanted, so I just told him that he could draw whatever he wanted. He had just started doing The Darkness, so he drew me a Darkling head. This blew my mind but was even more astounding to me after this experience was that everyone charges money for sketches and how much they charge. I wouldn't get another sketch for years until my first commission from Marc's protege, David Finch.
ftrain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I think I've told this story before, but I'm more than happy to tell it again.

The first piece of art that I bought was a con sketch by John Romita Jr. at the Oakland comic con in 1999 (this show would evolve into Wondercon). Romita Jr and Romita Sr were there doing sketches, so I paid the $60 to have a sketch of Spider Man done by Romita Jr. (Romita Sr was charging $100). Romita Jr. jokingly complained about having to draw Spider Man due to all the lines on his costume and tried to talk me into another character. I was committed to Spider Man and he did a great drawing. I was getting this done for the best man and my upcoming wedding that year so I don't have the art; nor do I even have a scan of it (I've recently been trying to get him to scan it for me for but that hasn't happened yet). It might have been funds at the time, as I didn't really have a lot of money in those days, or it may be that I'm prone to moments of stupidity, but I didn't get anything done by either of them for myself. (yes, Romita Sr. con sketch for $100 and I didn't get anything done. That hurts these days).

Also at this con was Dan DeCarlo, who was there with his wife Josie. My fiance at the time got him to draw her a sketch of Betty and Veronica. I do have a scan of this for anyone who is interested (though this really doesn't count as "my first art").
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=873385

Meanwhile, I hadn't really thought about being able to buy original comic art at the time so I wandered around getting comics signed by a bunch of writers and artists. I was trying to find and get a sketch from Bruce Timm, who was in attendance, but I never did run across him at his table at the con. Also Irv Novick was there but I seem to have missed him completely.

So we flash forward to 2009 when I was looking for some animation cels on Ebay, I actually ran across my first page of original comic art, bid, and won the auction. It was a page from Justice League of America Annual #1, which featured the team versus Dr. Destiny. Art by Rick Hoberg and Dick Giordano. http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=607831

So this is the page that started me on my comic art collecting path.

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
MrYac
Hercules

depends on your definition of art I suppose as I had been collecting animation cels for awhile, but my first comic art was a random page from Shadowpact I saw on ebay one day
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I stopped collecting comics when i went away to college figured i didn't have time or money to spend on them so i sold what i had which wasn't much to my lcs and that was that. I did keep a few that i liked, flashforward a few years later i transferred back in state and started getting back into comics so around this time (1997) i started going to the Wizard World Chicago show to find books and getting autographs. I notice a few people standing in line with paper and i asked what it was for, the person said some artist tend to draw for you if you ask them and i was wow that is cool. Not having a paper or knowing where to go the person in front of me gave me a piece and i ended up getting a hulk done by portacio.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=295095

Now you figured this would be the start for me but for some reason i didn't get back to sketches for another 4 yrs. I kick my self for not starting back in 97/98, i look back at all the amazing artist that came thru chicago during those early shows and wow i really messed up.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Underdog07
Hercules

My first piece bought in April 2007

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
Richyrichoh
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

My first ever sketch I got was an Alex Ross headsketch of Superman. Hard to top that one...
Richyrichoh is offline   Reply With Quote