Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
Grievous
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immovable Blob
This type of films never score well with professional reviewers

That's funny, considering some of the biggest reviewers out there are lauding this film, calling it a masterpiece and such...

Time Magazine - "It's beyond Super. It's superb"

All that, plus there are already tons of positive "smaller name" reviews out there. Two reviewers from AICN gave it glowing remarks. Check out RottenTomatoes.com for many more.
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
I didnt read the whole thing but I thought this, at the very top of the review was interesting:

It's also great for anyone who really loved the first two Superman films and thought they were perfect renditions of the Man of Steel.
Everyone else will hate it.

Didn't everyone love the first two films????

I'm not worried. I think the film will be great.
Good enought to me.
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I think the film will be great for what it is -- an update of the Richard Donner version, with really expensive special effects, beautifully convincing flying effects, some really nicely put together sequences, a more realistic take on the characters, more character development, brilliant subtle touches here and there, a criminal with a plot that almost works, homages to the original, and well directed actors. In that regard, I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed.

What the movie won't be, though, is what it could have been -- the Superman comic brought to life -- with extraordinarily powerful heroes and villians (Braniac, Doomsday, etc), original set designs, earth shattering battles, aliens, a true threat to our world either from invaders or above mentioned villians.

I would have really liked to have seen the latter, but given the unknown risk of doing a true comic book movie, coupled with the budget, the studio of course opted for the safer route. That's why every time someone tries to resell Star Trek these days, they talk about resurrecting/reimaging/recasting Kirk, Spock and Bones. It's easier to walk in someone else's footprints in the snow than to start a new path.

Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing this in the theater, buying it on DVD, and catching the sequel in 2009. Hey, that's all the studios really are looking for these days.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
Darth_Syppar
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I watched the second trailer and love it.

I never read newsrama anyway, have faith that this movie will rock.
Darth_Syppar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Aint it cool news has had quite a few reviews up. 2 flipped for it, one thought it was great and one disappointed.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

I heard a review from a local guy who's usually pretty tough on movies, and he surprised me by saying it was the best movie he'd seen thi summer! I'm not worried at all, just watching the previews gives me goosebumps! I'll be at the midnight showing for sure!
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
Confessor
The Avengers

I do wish that Luthor would be played more like he's portrayed in JL/STAS (& Clancy Brown). I don't like the camp aspect at all......nor the idea of a Parker Posey/sidekick/mol type character to play the jokes, if that's what she turns out to be. What could be her purpose, besides someone to overhear Spacy talk? I prefer no camp. I LOVE Brown's voice acting and the writing for Luthor in the various anitmated series since STAS. THAT'S the only way to do Luthor justice.

Though overall I enjoyed it, that's what I didn't like about the first Superman film....the campy lex and his stupid sidekick, "Otis." Gimme a break....squeal like a pig, Otis, squeal like a pig. The second was okay, but the whole "losing his powers" thing was dumb. I didn't like Luthor's portrayal in the first films either....NO CAMP. I want the genre taken seriously.

My biggest fear about the upcoming film is made by the reviewer noted above, that being, that Routh will be too focused on trying to do "Reeve doing Superman" rather than doing Superman, as a character himself. Yes, Reeve did a good job. But This isn't "Christopher Reeve Returns", it's SUPERMAN Returns. Let's play it that way.

I am hopeful.
Confessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #18
Grievous
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Luthor is not campy in this film, nor are his henchmen. They're just evil. Sure there will be some camp, but comics themselves are campy. Parkey Posey's character is 100X more tolerable than Ms. Teschmacher but plays a similar role.

So far it's at 100% with all of the "Cream of the Crop" in agreement that this is a special film: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #19
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous
Luthor is not campy in this film, nor are his henchmen. They're just evil. Sure there will be some camp, but comics themselves are campy. Parkey Posey's character is 100X more tolerable than Ms. Teschmacher but plays a similar role.
Thanks for the reply. That makes me much more hopeful. I so want this to be down right awesome.

But my fear with reviewers with them knowing so little about the character typically (as we do) that they go "thumbs up" in part b/c Routh "does such a great Reeve", which oughtn't be the point at all. The question is, does Routh do an awesome SUPERMAN. I hope so.
Confessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #20
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Didn't everyone love the first two films????
I did, can't wait to see this
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote