Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I love batman.

I love capullo.

But I don't love these prices.

I don't mind shelling out decent $ for pages in key books, but these are just really high for me. If he had a court of owls page for $1k...maybe....
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
ftrez
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I'm missing the 12 grand to pay for it.

It's a Batman action page so I'm sure it's worth a few bucks but 12 g's!!! Wow.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

This is insane. I enjoy Capullo's art, but this is just insulting and narcissistic.....Priced higher than Alex Ross, Jim Lee, Art Adams, and Bill Seinkewicz....

Maximize your value all you want, but this is a joke.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
Lucky Baru
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
My only concern is the trickle down effect. If other artists see the pricing and figure they need to up their prices a bunch, then I will be priced out of the game pretty quickly.
I would be too. However, their really isn't any room to flip most pages any longer for modern page prices. The artist and/or their reps are smart enough now to know what their pages are worth and charge that level. The days of buying pages by the inch have long past.

I respect Greg's work and there is one page I sent a purchase request in on. I hope to hear that I wasn't the second person that put in for it. I'd really like to have it. Not interested in a resale on it. I'd have it framed and put up at our lake house where my wife allows me to show off the pages I am the most proud of to have in my collection.

I'd like to know what a modern artist is paid to draw a book. I'm sure it isn't at the level that the artist in the early 1990's got (Platt got $40K a book/cover according to Liefeld). Anyone have any idea what a modern artist makes?
Lucky Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
Lucky Baru
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Guess I jinxed myself. I just got an email from Jamie Capullo letting me know the page was sold to another customer. CRAP!
Lucky Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Baru View Post
I would be too. However, their really isn't any room to flip most pages any longer for modern page prices. The artist and/or their reps are smart enough now to know what their pages are worth and charge that level. The days of buying pages by the inch have long past.

I respect Greg's work and there is one page I sent a purchase request in on. I hope to hear that I wasn't the second person that put in for it. I'd really like to have it. Not interested in a resale on it. I'd have it framed and put up at our lake house where my wife allows me to show off the pages I am the most proud of to have in my collection.

I'd like to know what a modern artist is paid to draw a book. I'm sure it isn't at the level that the artist in the early 1990's got (Platt got $40K a book/cover according to Liefeld). Anyone have any idea what a modern artist makes?
It varies....some lesser known guys on the big 2 might only make like $200/page, $500-1K for a cover, other guys (The Kuberts, Chos, Capullos, Jim Lees) are likely in the Platt range...but with the art market how it is right now, it's changed the storytelling dynamic....Guys rely on the splash page more than ever because they can sell the original for much more than a panel page....
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I was actually talking to Mark Texeira & Buzz about page rates this past weekend. I think the norm might be around $100/page for a mid-level artist. The artists just under the elites are likely $200-$250 per page range. Not sure above that. They did mention the big 2 going overseas for a lot of their artists and only paying like the equivalent of $10-$20 per page to some of those artists....
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #18
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'll stick to the comic issues
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
Wah
Shadowhawk

nice art and all, but over-inflated pricing? ugh yeah!
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #20
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Hmmm. Greg is good. But not that good. Alex Ross doesn't even come close to these prices and his work is godlike IMHO.
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote