Originally Posted by averone View Post
Time to add to my shares!
Thanks Nancy
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

If you have ever seen IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, Mr Potter, although a miserly crummudgeon spoke a lot of truth to George Bailey regarding the crash. Times like this, when panic sets in and when it seems the world is about to end as we know it, these times are when the big money is made. Those who don't panic, and who are willing to take calculated risks will see a payoff. Risk/Reward is a matched set.

It's not a thing to go into igorantly, or with an over abundance of fear, because both will cause panic and big losses.

I don't mean to over simplify the issue, but in reality it is simple. Those that panic sell to those that see opportunity.

It is these times which seem so dire, when the bottom feeders come out to play and reap the greatest rewards.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

So what do you suggest I buy?

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Look at some of the financial stocks and the tech sector. Apple is trading at $107 right now. A few months ago it was close to $200 a share. If you are willing to take a riskier chance, look at Freddy Mac and Fannie Mae. Both of them are trading at about 1/50th of what they were a year ago. It's true those financial vehicles are in trouble, but they aren't worthless.

I'm not saying buy anything in particular especially if you don't follow the market day-to-day, but you might want to start looking at things with a critical eye. Watch CNBC, especially Larry Kudlow at 7PM. Much to be learned.

People will make a butt load of cash off this panic, and they aren't just Wall Street big wigs.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
If you have no limitations on what you can buy and sell, a time like now is an excellent time to be investing - either in individual stocks or funds.

I can not do that so I have to just sit back and watch others make/lose money
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
MandarinORANGE
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Ugh, Wednesday is going to be uuuuuggggggllllyyyyyy.
MandarinORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just got some GS, and AAPL
YES!!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #18
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
Look into stocks paying steady dividends. KMP, ETP are two Gas pipeline stocks who get paid regardless of the price of gas, oil, natural gas. Utilities have also been beat down and are relatively safe investments.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Hmm may be a good time to buy some apple stock like i wanted to do when they announced OSX, just didnt have the cash then.......
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
The bill they are trying to pass remains problematic. Until it's fixed it won't ever pass.

The most important lesson I have learned in the market is don't sell into panic. Once you do, you secure the loss. It is amazing how much stocks can move in a single day. And I mean up and down, the same stock.
Mr. P and I have waxed on this topic in threads before. The most important lessons of investing are:

- Stay diversified
- Time in (as opposed to timing) the market
- Continued, routine investing

To the latter point, there's a tried and true technique called dollar cost averaging that says invest incremental amounts in the market at regular intervals over time. This way, when the market's up you're not buying much at a high price and when it's down you're buying more at a lower price, all for the same amount.

If selecting individual stocks, pay attention to P/E (price/earnings) ratios. If the mutliple is in the teens or low twenties it's probably a good value. As it gets higher, the value becomes more problematic.

Don't sell in a panic (selling low) or buy when performance is strong (buying high). This is the opposite of what investors should do (buying low/selling high).

Mr. P is correct about daily swings. For people (like all of us) hit now, our losses are paper losses, not realized losses. Once you sell, you've lost. In the past, like 1987 or 2001, the market's come back strong after a few years. That may not happen the same way now as the value chain in today's market economy is resting on loose ground, but it's a safe bet it will come back.

Keep your heads.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote