Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
Wow, someone said something stupid when being confronted while they were literally fall down drunk, news at 11... If everyone was drawn and quartered for doing or saying something stupid, obnoxious or offensive, or for getting belligerent at some point in their life while they were drunk, or in some other way 'under the influence', then we'd be practically extinct by now. That's not to excuse his behaviour, he acted like a complete tool and no doubt, however holding a longterm grudge over something like this seems just as toolish to me, not to mention in many cases overly judgemental and even deliberately mean spirited. That's not to accuse wktf of that, mind you, everyone is free to hold their own opinion of course, but a lot of the anti-Gibson backlash very much seemed that way to me, both at the time, and since. Just my opinion anyhow. After all, "Judge not, that ye be not judged" and all that...

And before anyone jumps in with some derisive presumption because of my view on this, my family happens to be Jewish (I consider myself agnostic however) so I've seen enough legitimate, deliberate and hateful antisemitism in my time, and it not something I easily tolerate at all, I just don't happen to rate Gibson's rant as anything other than drunken stupidity really.
You know, after I posted this I thought better of it but then moved on.

You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Like you, I've seen blatant, horrible anti-Semitism, some directed at me and my family.

I don't see his drunkenness as a slip, just bringing out what he really thinks. I'm not talking about drawing and quartering him. Just not going to his movies. As you stated in your post, just my opinion and I'm entitled to it. As you are yours. I agree, let it go at that.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

As I said, no offence was meant towards you nor any diminishing of your personal opinion or your right to act as you see fit, and I wasn't trying to prove you wrong or make you see otherwise. And while I do happen to hold a different opinion, mainly I just find discussions and debates about public reactions, and in some cases over-reactions, to such matters rather fascinating. Anyway, as you said, moving on.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
protector2814
Phoenix

Trailer kind of reminds me of the recent Liam Neeson movie, Taken although they do show that Mel's daughter is murdered and he enacts some sort of revenge.
Payback, his last revenge, crime drama was excellent even though I realize it was a remake of a great film.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
After watching American Skinheads on NatGeo last night. Now they are scary.
Yeah, it's scary how stupid they are. It seemed like it would take a full room of them to attain one normal individual's IQ level.
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #15
Batwing
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
After watching American Skinheads on NatGeo last night. Now they are scary.
Going off tangent from Gibson movie:

When I was in college at UNC-Chapel Hill, I shared a townhouse with two friends, a Filipino and a white American (I'm Singaporean-Chinese) and guess what? The next door neighbors was this Neo-Nazi couple and their American Pitbull named "Aryan."

We were naturally concerned but they were stupid stupid people who preferred to get drunk with their Neo-Nazi buddies and pass out in front of our doors. They never gave us any trouble, fortunately. When they eventually moved out, they left fist-size holes in the walls.

Incidentally, "Aryan" loved me a lot. Stupid dog.
Batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Looks like your typical revenge flick and quite reminiscent of Taken. That said I like Gibson and it still looks good despite being unoriginal.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

This movie got a pretty decent review in today's Post. I've managed to talk the wife into making Edge Of Darkness our date movie for the weekend. Hope it's wife-friendly "gulp" (I took her to the last Punisher movie and it took a while for the thaw to come). I'll let you all know how the movie is. If you've seen it, let us know.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

It got 3/5 in Empire looks to worth a look.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Jesse321
Galactus

No interest what so ever in seeing this, both because of the fact that I think it will just be a variation of "Taken" and because Mel Gibson is in it.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

lethal weapon 5

http://movies.ign.com/articles/916/916725p1.html
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote