Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

View Poll Results: What is the state of our Hobby?
The glory days are over! This plane's gonna crash. 16 16.67%
The best is yet to come! We've got a long way to go. 53 55.21%
We may be in a rut right now but this hobby will rebound. 27 28.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #11
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

TBIYTC! Defenetly. "Escalation", remember? We are becoming even more demanding as collectors than before, and that's driving manufacturers nutz, in a good way. They know we are getting more selective, too, and they know that many options are available out there. They will keep improving, or atleast trying too, if they want to keep getting our money and stay in business. I see many good things coming our way...unusual things I hope.
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Colossus
Loki

I personally think the market is a little over saturated with stuff, but I have seen this before in gaming cards, I was a retailer and M:tG came out and was super hot and then everyone else had to do a card game and the market became over saturated and it ws insane, but after a while there got to the point where they weren't selling and retailers stopped buying them and soon there were only a few of the companies left (mainly the good ones) that were making game cards and in some ways I am hoping that will happen with this hobby as well after a while all the companies that are band wagon jumpers will fall off and leave the good companies.

I know some are going to roast me on this because of fair competition and how it makes the hobby better. I think there are some good and some great sculptors out there and they will find a place to manufacture their product, if they are the really good ones I don't think it will be that much of a problem. But as for me I would like to see some of the repetitive sculpts being produced by sub-par companies go to the wayside. JMO
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
lord odin

Well for me i`m about 90% out I think the bubble will burst so I started selling everything i`m only keeping my Hard Hero statues there`s just too many characters I have no interest in and the ones I am interested in are boring poses or different versions of the character.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod
I think the best is yet to come. I also think that collectors are coming smarter buyers. The whole "completism" is becoming something from the past. That's how it should be. You should collect what you like, not just because someone sculpted it or it came from a specific manufacturer.
I also think many collectors are upgrading their collection for newer statues.
What she said...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

completism and collecting has alwaays gone together, when you a little kid you needed to complete your card collection, and you weren't the man if you didn't have all your mini gi joes of heman characters, now things have changed in many diffrent ways for everybody, money, space, companies, characters, are all issues that has stop the average collector to be a compliest.

i think things are gonna get better in terms of quality, the existing companies and the ones that are going to come out in the future compete with each other and the only way they can raise avobe the rest it's with qlty, so we'll be seeing the sculptor and paiters at their bestyeah i know that in production not oneguy does the painting, qlty control is gonna be improved. the competition also applies to pricing.

i always find it funny when i see people arguing about how to change a sculpt, how the majority says let the sculptor do what he/she wants, i belive that we should be involved in every step of the process and be mature and rational about it, thats what this medium is for, eventhough not every company does it right now but they will have to in the future but only if we can control the bs that happens sometimes around here.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
hawkeyethearcher

if marvel is the only company that is going to be in the game then we will just maintain the status quo. they have already done some amazing things and will continue. now if dc and the indy comics could jump into the game whole heartedly then this could take off to a whole new level. bam.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #17
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish
i belive that we should be involved in every step of the process and be mature and rational about it, thats what this medium is for, .
Heck no! One of the main reasons I'm no longer buying BD is because of too much input.

Clay Moore or SS doesn't ask for my input, and their sculpts haven't suffered for it. When you try to please everyone, you end up being generic.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
Heck no! One of the main reasons I'm no longer buying BD is because of too much input.

Clay Moore or SS doesn't ask for my input, and their sculpts haven't suffered for it. When you try to please everyone, you end up being generic.
some ss pieces have likeness issues. if you like buying what your told then welcome to walmart

we can be involved if we can deabate things in a civilized way.

even the big fast food restaurants had to change their ways and have individuals pick what they want.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I firmly believe that Coca, Bat Collector and the color gold have ruined this hobby we love.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #20
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

I think competition is driving the talent and quality on display in this industry forward, which will be to the delight of the majority of collectors. For me, a collector who prefers simpler pieces at 1/8 scale of pre-1986 characters, I sometimes think the industry is increasingly moving away from what I like. There remain pieces that are exactly what I'm looking for - the DST Nick Fury statue, the armless BD Wasp bust - but they now tend to be few and far between. So for me, things aren't what they used to be, but I know I am in the dramatic minority, and that for most people things just get better and better.

Last edited by JDH; 06-02-2006 at 12:33 PM.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote