Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Royd
Producer
Producer

I handle the work of two artists who have moved to this method of producing the final product (Ardian Syaf and Nicola Scott).

As mentioned above the reasons include:

1. Ease of transferring the image from penciller to inker to company to get the book out on time particularly where the penciller and inker may not necessarily live on the same continent.

2. There is obviously a cost saving involved since the company doesn't have to pay FedEx to ship the pages from penciller to inker to company. The company also doesn't have to FedEx the returned pages to the penciller and inker as both individuals keep their pages.

When I first started handling the sale of Nicola and Ardian's work, I had to make a judgement on pricing and looked around at other dealer website to get an idea on pricing the pencil pages.

In most cases, it appears that the inked pages are roughly half to two-thirds the cost of the pencil pages (but not all the time). Doug Hazelwood seems to be one who prices his pages around that price point.

As a collector, I prefer to acquire pages with pencils and inks on the same page but this situation is a continuation of technology affecting the market (ie computer colouring, computer inking, digital wording so no word balloons etc.). If I can't have pencils and inks on the same page then it's the pencil page for me.

I can understand the appeal of the inked page as it's the published version but the penciller did not physically touch that page ergo my preference for the pencil version Best,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Blue line inked is garbage, I would never buy it. Might as well just collect the comic.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch515 View Post
ugh..... no comment
:tounge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
well being I prefer pencils and think its horrible to ink directly over the original pencils I like this method lol but thats just me. The 2 pieces are totally diff art if the inker is doing his/her job the inks are suppose to add to the pencils not just cover them up.
I am exactly the same way, I would hate to loose my original pencil art, thats what created the magic in the 1st place, Inkers enhance whats there, some better than others...
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Royd
Producer
Producer

Well, you've just managed to offend every inker in existence!

While I may prefer the original pencil page, I would consider acquiring original work by my favourite inkers including Kevin Nowlan for example, particularly if the price was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Blue line inked is garbage, I would never buy it. Might as well just collect the comic.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I picked up a couple of pencil art pages by Jose Luis for the recent Teen Titans series. In looking for more, I didn't find any others, but I did find a couple of blue line inked pages from Mariah Benes from the same issue. I picked them up as it makes 4 pages in sequential order and it bookends the pencil pages I have. Sure I would have like the original pencil pages, but I felt that the inked pages were worth it for the price that was being asked.

Given an option, I would prefer inks over pencils, then original pencils, then under rare circumstances the inked page. All depends on who the artist is and the price being asked. Lots of times though, I prefer the pencil and ink page as I like the combination of artists and seeing what their collaboration can produce.
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
I wouldn't call them garbage! They aren't what you most desire - but an actual artist did touch those pages to bring the image more to life - there is a real talent behind inking as well
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #17
Mean Green
Fantomah

Don't get me wrong either... inks definitely add to the art. My preference would be inks over pencils, both pieces, and then penciled pieces. It's really the pricing that baffles/frustrates me.

Having the art on two separate boards ends up costing the collector at least 1.5x more than if they were inked over the pencils. Where the pages were originally split 2/3:1/3 - penciller:inker respectively, doesn't it make sense for the blue-lined ink pages to be priced at 1/3 of what a traditional page would be (traditional meaning inks over pencils)? It doesn't look like that's the pricing currently.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I wouldn't call them garbage! They aren't what you most desire - but an actual artist did touch those pages to bring the image more to life - there is a real talent behind inking as well
I don't care their inking a copy.. It's as much use to me as a color guide. But you guys can collect what you want.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Well, you've just managed to offend every inker in existence!

While I may prefer the original pencil page, I would consider acquiring original work by my favourite inkers including Kevin Nowlan for example, particularly if the price was right.
Why am I always misunderstood. Where did I say inkers were garbage? Where did I say I don't appreciate their talent? You know I'm going to pass on Angelina Jolie's autograph on a God Damn flyer, parking stub or a cocktail napkin. I don't collect copies of art and I try to avoid and hording junk. How artists choose their material to work on is up to them, but that is how I see it.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
I don't care their inking a copy.. It's as much use to me as a color guide. But you guys can collect what you want.
ok question do you mean printed color guides or hand painted color guides as that is art as well coloring a piece is an artistic ability as well. Do I view painted color guides the same as I do a penciled/inked piece no but I do see them as being part of the process.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote