Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
Collectors said the eyes are indeed sticker-eyes for the CGDCU Supergirl. I haven't seen one in person yet.
But the all previous CGDCU girls were with painted eyes, and they looked great. So, I don't understand why they started using stickers for eyes.
Painted eyes take time and time=money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
I thought about getting this but not anymore. The eyes not only look different but I think they tweak the head sculpted.
Messy paint application.
Yep, Wonder Woman Bishoujo is definitely the way to go.

I also noticed a bit of sculpting mess under her hair from the pics.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I have seen this statue in person, and it is not good. It's very tiny (smaller than the original 1/8 bishoujos) and, as everyone else has commented, the eyes are really bad. Plus, DC wants like $85 for this??? Are you serious? PASS
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I have seen this statue in person, and it is not good. It's very tiny (smaller than the original 1/8 bishoujos) and, as everyone else has commented, the eyes are really bad. Plus, DC wants like $85 for this??? Are you serious? PASS
The Wonder Woman Bishoujo statue is MUCH better than this horror show! I get the feeling that companies PURPOSELY make action figures and statues of popular characters just a little off so they can keep selling them to you over and over again till you finally get the definitive one! Why sell the definitive one right off the bat when they can get the OCD collector to buy three or for of their product!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
JBElliott
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

I've seen the statue in person and it's quite nice. Well worth picking up. The Bishoujo Wonder Woman is good (the best of that line, which isn't saying much since the rest of the line is pretty bad in my opinion), but the DCU WW is very nice.
JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

The WW bishoujo and the CoverGirlsDCU WW are both much better than this tiny, overpriced statue.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

All the little statues these days are overpriced.
I look for the best deals I can find online.
It's crazy to pay the prices the brick and morter stores have to ask for what these are.

I enjoy these for what they are, small lower end statues based on video game interpretations of Lee art and I am enjoying having a DC Trinity of them now. I'll probably pick up a few more as favorite characters come up.

I think also people have to keep in mind it is an expensive hobby. Good statues can easily top two hundred or more now days.

I do think something has to be made for entry level folks on a budget to enjoy the characters as statues too. Maybe this isn't the line for that, but new collectors on a budget I think should have some choices.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
Collectors said the eyes are indeed sticker-eyes for the CGDCU Supergirl. I haven't seen one in person yet.
But the all previous CGDCU girls were with painted eyes, and they looked great. So, I don't understand why they started using stickers for eyes.
The CGDCU Supergirl in my LCS have sticker eyes that are so far apart from each other - left eye pupil pointing toward left and right eye pupil pointing toward right.. Someone at the factory must have misplaced those label eyes.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Painted eyes take time and time=money.

Messy paint application.
Yep, Wonder Woman Bishoujo is definitely the way to go.

I also noticed a bit of sculpting mess under her hair from the pics.
Wonder Woman Bishoujo is definitely so much better than this tiny WW figure statue in all areas like paint jobs, sculpting, price.. etc. One of the reasons what this DCUO Wonder Woman looks so cold is that it is done by Zbrush.. the eyes are missing 3D layers and the sticker eyes make her look even worse.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

The Bishoujo is very manga, big eyes, tiny mouth, not everyone's cup of tea. Well executed no question, but manga style makes WW look like a girl's face and not a grown womans in my opinion.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

This was probably the DCUO statue I was most looking forward to (besides the Joker) since the promo pics looked awesome to me. I'll say that the pics in this thread were underwhelming and I had to quickly go to DCD's site and see why it looked so different.

It seems like the main difference is that DCD didn't blow up the image in their pics. Some of what some of you are finding so offensive will never be noticeable with the naked eye. And the head-on angle does look pretty much like the solicit pics. It's just that huge shot from the side that looks.... weird.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote