Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
MrYac
Hercules

honestly i've always found writing a screenplay much easier then writing actual books, so i say give it a go if you have an idea Argo
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
honestly i've always found writing a screenplay much easier then writing actual books, so i say give it a go if you have an idea Argo
How's that structured?

Borrowed lovingly from "The Pink Panther".

Act 1 - Scene: Statue Forum Park.. a warm day, in late Autumn. Kids play on a nearby swingset, lovers spoon on picnic blankets, and other such "park" activities. Camera pans down on a man wearing a grey shirt with "Argonus" printed across the back of it in giant orange letters...the man is casually walking, taking in his surroundings. Camera pans from him to an approaching bench, and its occupant, who we see is a man in his late 40's who is dressed in a heavy wool suit, and is sweating profusely, but trying to retain his dignity while reading a newspaper. Rather than wipe the sweat he lets it pool on his furrowed brow. He's visibly uncomfortable.

(Argonus walks past the bench, but then doubles back and walks up to the man. We now see what drew Argo's attention: there's a giant Pit Bull sleeping directly behind the bench).
Argonus (inquisitively): "Does your dog bite?"

Man (arrogant, not bothering to look up from newspaper): "No."

(Argonus walks around the bench and reaches out to pet the dog, which viciously bites down on the surprised Argo's outstretched hand)

Argonus (visibly shaken, gripping injured hand, yelling): "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite?!"

Man (indifferent, waving his hand dismissively in the dog's direction): "That... is not my dog."

Something like that? I'm toying with either tackling a book or a comic book (finding a 9-to-5 to balance vo with would be nice, as well ), but my Marvel submission is a certainty... almost done with it, then I just need to wait for the artists to do a few submission pages.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
MrYac
Hercules

pretty much, i personally find it much easier to write movies because i see things more visually, it's easier for me to explain what somebody is doing "bob opened the door" then how they do it "bob slowly reached for the brass knob and turned it" .

but i do love knowing theres other people around with similar interests....so if any of you guys get a good agent or hit it big let me know because damned if i can find anybody to read my stuff
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Argo, that's book status yo. I went to the only film school that had a film program in Arizona, SCC in Scottsdale. I loved it. Afterwards, like I said, spent another 2 years learning the art of screenwriting. I do enjoy it and would hope to make a career out of it, but, dude, talk about tricky. 2 weeks after I graduated, Asher was born and that was that. The wife and kids have been my job since then. I quit my job in April so I've had more time to focus on my script for Kirkman. I'm a little over halfway done with it, hope to have a polished version for the Morrisoncon 1 on 1 time I'm allocated (and get a ton signed). Don't wanna seem too geeky, gonna be tough.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
pretty much, i personally find it much easier to write movies because i see things more visually, it's easier for me to explain what somebody is doing "bob opened the door" then how they do it "bob slowly reached for the brass knob and turned it" .

but i do love knowing theres other people around with similar interests....so if any of you guys get a good agent or hit it big let me know because damned if i can find anybody to read my stuff
... f#ck it; we could always brainstorm the next Inception... Nolan had help.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

dp
Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Kids are a handful; taught 'em... but didn't have any in my 8 year marriage (which I'm glad for.. ugly divorce).
You're blessed with a great family, Rob... work comes second to family, anyways.. which you're clearly well aware of.

What was said that is "book status", though? I don't follow...

Good luck on your endeavours, man.. always great to see people succeed at their efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
Argo, that's book status yo. I went to the only film school that had a film program in Arizona, SCC in Scottsdale. I loved it. Afterwards, like I said, spent another 2 years learning the art of screenwriting. I do enjoy it and would hope to make a career out of it, but, dude, talk about tricky. 2 weeks after I graduated, Asher was born and that was that. The wife and kids have been my job since then. I quit my job in April so I've had more time to focus on my script for Kirkman. I'm a little over halfway done with it, hope to have a polished version for the Morrisoncon 1 on 1 time I'm allocated (and get a ton signed). Don't wanna seem too geeky, gonna be tough.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
... f#ck it; we could always brainstorm the next Inception... Nolan had help.
haha, always fun to bounce ideas off somebody else. i do have 4 scripts currently done with ideas for 3 others....now somebody just needs to buy them
Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

EXT. - STATUE FORUM PARK - DAY

Statue Forum Park is busy. The air is crisp and the sun is shining. ARGONUS (30's, handsome) is enjoying a walk through the park.

ARGONUS
Ah, I love comic art. I should check out
that Invincible I keep hearing about.

Argonus passes a bench with a MAN (40's, sweaty) reading a newspaper. A dog lies behind the bench.

ARGONUS (v.o.)
I love dogs, how cute.

Argonus turns around and approaches the man on the bench.

ARGONUS
Excuse me sir, does your dog bite?

MAN
(disturbed)
No.

Argonus smiles and reaches over to pet the dog. It bites his hand. His hand bleeds profusely.

ARGONUS
(to man)
I thought you said your dog didn't
bite!

MAN
That's not my dog.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Ah.. cool; mine's too wordy. Thanks for your example, Rob.

"30's & handsome"... brief but accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
EXT. - STATUE FORUM PARK - DAY

Statue Forum Park is busy. The air is crisp and the sun is shining. ARGONUS (30's, handsome) is enjoying a walk through the park.

ARGONUS
Ah, I love comic art. I should check out
that Invincible I keep hearing about.

Argonus passes a bench with a MAN (40's, sweaty) reading a newspaper. A dog lies behind the bench.

ARGONUS (v.o.)
I love dogs, how cute.

Argonus turns around and approaches the man on the bench.

ARGONUS
Excuse me sir, does your dog bite?

MAN
(disturbed)
No.

Argonus smiles and reaches over to pet the dog. It bites his hand. His hand bleeds profusely.

ARGONUS
(to man)
I thought you said your dog didn't
bite!

MAN
That's not my dog.