Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
It depends on the piece but I generally prefer canvas.
Ditto. I'd love to have a canvas of the Ross "Knight over Gotham". I have an AP paper print but would prefer the canvas.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I'm sure theres tons on google, but my personal oppinion.. If there is a professional/genuine solicited piece (i.e. giclee) offered on both paper and canvas, usually the canvas is offered for a reason and is the 'superior' version - the colours and detail 'pop' alot more to give it that dimension and it looks closer to an actual painting (i.e. colour and detail gained).. however if a canvas is just a 'gimmick' and not 'high-end'/done with the right printing tools, it is just that - a gimmick. For example, I got MK vs. DC kollector's edition because I wanted the Alex Ross canvas piece that came with it - some nice detail because of the resolution, but at the same time some detail isn't visible because of the material ('canvas') they used, they were just doing it as a novelty (which I knew would be the case for the price-point and market).
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Besides most times looking better canvas also does away with the need to have glass and thereby it's lighter to hang.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Well just got a rolled canvas in the mail and I have to say one HUGE benefit is that the thing isn't so sensitive to damage. With paper prints I unroll them like they are precious documents for fear of denting a corner or creating a smudge or wrinkle.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

In the end, it all comes down to materials and personal opinion, which as we all know is subjective. There are varying levels of quality within each medium so you cant really compare one to the other across the board. A high end Giclee print will blow the socks off a low end canvas print and vice versa, a high end canvas print will destroy a low end Giclee print. There are a ton of different papers, canvases, inks, not to mention the different printers and printing technologies. Generally speaking canvas is usually the higher quality method. Some artists actually go back and add paint on top of the canvas, to make it look even more like a real painting.

That being said, There is a much larger selection of papers on the market, many of which are extremely unique and nothing short of mind blowing. Awagami Ink jet Paper (Japanese Washi paper) is a perfect example. That paper has created some of the nicest prints I have ever seen.

In the end, it depends on a lot of different things, most of all personal preference. I am more of a print person myself but I do own a couple high end canvas pieces by Robert Bateman that are spectacular.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Are there shops where you can take a scan of a print and have it "printed" on canvas?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Are there shops where you can take a scan of a print and have it "printed" on canvas?
Yes.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

However, it isn't cheap.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Unless the image is high resolution it would not be worth your whole having it printed on canvas.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Yes, most full service print shops or studios will be able to scan an image and print it on canvas and there is definitely no shortage of print shops these days.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote