Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
built2shred
Phoenix

Superman gets his power from the unique radiation of Earths Sun, the color has nothing to do with it.

Codex: An ancient Kryptonian artifact that decodes the genetic makeup of the artificially incubated babies on the planet. It translates a child's genetic attributes before his or her birth. Zod was born to be a soldier, as dictated by the Codex. Zod needs to codex in order to shape the genetic future of a reborn Krypton population.

Im Guessing the skull shape of the Codex was more of symbolism then anything else.

And yes terraforming the earth was 1000x's better of an idea then making the Earth spin backwards, as if the direction of the earth determines which way time flows lol..

As much as you might liked the Christopher reeves version of Superman the bottom line is that version hit the crapper with Superman 3, 4 and Superman Returns... All 3 of those movies were awful. So trying to continue that version of Superman made no sense.

And if you really want to nitpick about stealing story lines, well I'm pretty sure the whole idea in Superman 1 of Jorel sending his only son (who is perfect by the way) to earth to be their savior was already done in the Bible.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
ratchet
Mandarin

Albeeman - although I didn't hate the movie the way you seemed to - I definitely had issues with it as well. One being the property damage...

But you are spot on about Louis and Supes. No chemistry at all! The kiss seemed out of nowhere. It was bad storytelling.

Not sure why the DC heroes have to be so glum and angsty - I can't be the only one who likes to have a good time at these comic book movies - and I left the theater without a smile this time.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Louis? That really would have been a modern retelling of the Superman story.

Part of the danger with the success of the Nolan Batman franchise was the possibility that Hollywood loves to follow a beat a winning formula into the ground until it becomes tired and uninteresting. Sort of like we got to see a series of films copying Die Hard or Speed, I was worried that Hollywood wouldn't realize that dark and brooding works for Batman, but not so much for Superman.

Trying to ground Superman into a realistic and modern setting is great, but he doesn't have to be dark and overly serious. I think this film doesn't really set up squeals or other films set in the DC universe very well, but at least it makes me interested in what those future films may be.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I did get a kick out of the fact that so much of the Vancouver unit cast was Canadian and the presence of Canadian Forces personnel in the film. Wasn't expecting to see Canadian pattern camouflage combat uniforms in a Superman movie.

Seemed like a nice nod to the Canadian co-creator of the character, Joe Shuster.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeeman View Post
Here we go... I just finished a bottle of Soju and I am writing this.. I'll look at it again in the morning..

Krypton had a yellow sun?? Oh yea, krypton is destructing from within its core because of the council messing up. Rite.

The radiations of the sun in that solar system vs. ours was the difference. They stated the same at least 2 or 3 times in the film

The planet pending destruction because the Kryptonians were harvesting the planets core to power their weapons and space exploration. Once again this was stated twice in the movie.

And the genetically engineered kryptonians.. Saw that in Matrix. Nice try. But doesn't sound like an advance civilazation to me. Sounds like an oppressed society. Did Jor El and Lara El go against their predetermined life by having a natural birth?

If this was ripped off from the Matrix then the Watchowski's ripped it off of Jon Byrne' Man of Steel and The Planet Krypton miniseries in the early 80's. This concept was well established and carried as canon in the Superman books well past the death and return of Superman. And yes Jor El and Lara went against Kryptonian law by having a naturally birthed child.

Wat the eff is a divix??? Why is it a skull?!! Who's skull is that?!! Anyone?

It is a codex and who knows why it was shaped like a skull. Perhaps it is the Kryptonian Eve or perhaps it is just the shape they chose as an appropriate one for their genetic engineering.

Jor El died like an extreme b*tch. Might as well have Zod and Lara hook up before the Phantom Zone. Make Kal a brother for the next Man of Steel 2 for the "Modern" Maury Provich generation. JorEl planned all along for kryptonians to survive on Earth, so Zod didn't really invent that idea did he? Who's the bad guy now?

It is all in the implementation. Jor El didn't really plan for Kryptonians to subjugate earth but perhaps stop there as peacefully co-existing refugees to save their species until they could find a new home. With their advanced tech and abilities they could live anywher and don't necessarily need to live in downtown Metropolis. As a citizen I offer them Arctic Canada.

And then cuts to Clark on Deadliest Catch where he is working under an alias because he was taught by his pa kent not to ever use his powers or it would cause hysteria because "you are the answer that were not alone".. Be a loner son. all of a sudden a T Rex with a hairy chest is leading a group of men up the stairs from a burning oil rig. Yea real heroic. They couldn't done that themselves?? Who called the helicopter in if it was already assumed everyone was dead. Ok whatevs (modern day teenie bop speak)

This Deadliest Catch barb is played out and purely critical for the sake of. He was on the fishing boat for less than 3 minutes. The fact is that Clark, being Clark and having learned the cost of doing nothing to protect his secret given his abilities from the painful lesson Jonathon taught him chose to save those men as that is "the type of man he chose to be". Clark opened the way for them to escape and I am pretty sure the Coast Guard would be on scene for an oil rig fire. As for who called them in....why not the the workers who escaped, the people trapped or worst case there is two rigs in the scene and only one aflame.

Then Clark sneaks and steals clothing from an innocent coastal dweller. Heroic.

Seriously you have an issue with this? He took Sally Ann clothes and if he showed up in his state at the Sally Ann they would have given them to him.

Lois. Monotone. No facial expression nor emotion. No power. No demanding presence. I didnt buy that curious nature. "I loved Lois." why?? Because she's a pretty face? C'mon. She sucked. She found out Clark's identity in a heartbeat.. Speaking of which, clark is used to living his adult life using aliases. Why start with your real earth identity at the planet? I mean, it's not like you have to protect your loved ones with a secret identity, because Martha has a truck in her roof. You failed MOS!

Lois was awesome. Amy Adams is an amazing actress and I am not one who gushes over her due to her looks. The creators of the MoS made her a heroine in her own right that was more than a damsel in distress. She actively contributed and didn't do things to put herself recklessly in harms way but also didn't play it safe.

She actually didn't find out Clarks identity in a heartbeat it took a protracted investigation and she followed leads back from the point of contact to his doorstep in a sequence that the audience was privy to as well. Amazing. He learning who Clark is gave the relationship immediate credibility because here is a tenacious, good looking girl who he doesn't have to hide from. No wonder he is attracted to her. Far better than I lust after this hot girl in the office who treats me like crap and is too dumb to pick up on the fact that I am Superman with glasses despite interacting with both of us constantly.

As far as the truck in Martha's roof I am pretty sure there were a few peopl in Smallville with property damage.

I liked Faora.

So did I.

Jonathan died like a bigger b*tch than JorEl.. At least the dog is safe.

Jonathon's death showed how strongly he felt about keeping his son sheltered from the outside world. It also showed Clark the consequences of doing so.

Zod reminded me of the Emporer's whining son in Gladiator. Didn't seem like a General at all throughout this film.

He looked to be in command and control of his men, was a strategist, saved his crew from likely death upon release from the Phantom Zone and had a singular drive that he never deviated from from where I was sitting.

Krypton looked like a darker shade of Avatar.

Zoe wanted Superman to surrender. Ok. But he wasn't gonna harm Sups. Clark had a dream and started going nuts. Then Jor El says "you can save them" really? From the problem you caused Jor El? Lois calmly receives instruction from Jordan how to kill kryptonians and escape from the ship. Sorry, she looked like a child.

I personally thought that this was handled exceedingly well and loved the imagery during the debate between Zod and Superman. Also the AI Jor El was entertaining and points once again for Lois not being helpless.

I already stated before about the massive amounts of property damage and the lack of care Clark gave. Mark Waid said it best in his MoS blog. So that sums that up.

If you can honestly tell me that Clark had an opportunity or a moment for pause with everything being thrown at him I would buy your argument. He could barely barely fend for himself as he was being double teamed by skilled and trained fighters. Zod even spoke to this when mocking his "training on a farm"

Teenie boppers started clapping when Clark and Lois kissed. Really? Throughout this entire movie, without any preconceived notions, I never new Clark and Lois had a thing for each other. Maybe I'm spoiled by the onscreen chemistry of Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield. But this is for the modern day audience,

I think they did a great job of showing Clark long for a human connection outside of his parents and it was an applause worth payoff IMHO. Emma and Andrew had great sizzle but that was probably helped out by the fact that they are hooked up in real life.

And what's up with the earth getting doggy styled at both ends?!! And then Dr. Hamilton had an animated gif on the screen and could tell exactly what was happening.. "They're changing our atmosphere." Shut up. This was a better creative move than spinning the earth backwards?

Satallite imaging perhaps provided by WayneTech The Terraforming was brilliant and well executed to me. Not to mention it hasn't been done at nausea.

Clark snaps Zods neck. Dictator. Warlord. Whatevs

He was painted into a corner and desperate against a unique and NONHUMAN enemy. Once again Superman executed the phantom Zone criminals in the comics, in the late 70's early 80's no less. Oh and BTW I am pretty sure they were all killed in Superman 2 as well, just not is as emotional a fashion.

Superman destroys US government property. Hello incredible hulk. "Ur not gonna know where i lay my cape." In other words, I will do what the eff I want I you can't stop me. This is waaaaaay better than Chris Reeve delivering the restored dome of the White House, "mr. President, sorry to have been away so long, I won't let you down again."

Different strokes for different folks. The social fabric of the world is not the same as it was in the 70/80's. I am not an American but love my neighbors and feel that the "trust me I am an American too" of MoS is less offensive than the American VP in IM3 being part of a profit based plot that killed dozens if not hundreds.

But this is for the modern day audience.

yes it is.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I did get a kick out of the fact that so much of the Vancouver unit cast was Canadian and the presence of Canadian Forces personnel in the film. Wasn't expecting to see Canadian pattern camouflage combat uniforms in a Superman movie.

Seemed like a nice nod to the Canadian co-creator of the character, Joe Shuster.
As well as Lois using the decision made by the Canadian Judiciary to gain access to the US military site and the fact that the Kryptonian ship that held his suit and keys to his origin were here
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Luminous
Cyclops

Well said, Carlos.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I was a little surprised by the decision to give General Zod a "Clark Kent-like" secret human identity as an assistant regional manager at a paper distribution company.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Louis? That really would have been a modern retelling of the Superman story.

Part of the danger with the success of the Nolan Batman franchise was the possibility that Hollywood loves to follow a beat a winning formula into the ground until it becomes tired and uninteresting. Sort of like we got to see a series of films copying Die Hard or Speed, I was worried that Hollywood wouldn't realize that dark and brooding works for Batman, but not so much for Superman.

Trying to ground Superman into a realistic and modern setting is great, but he doesn't have to be dark and overly serious. I think this film doesn't really set up squeals or other films set in the DC universe very well, but at least it makes me interested in what those future films may be.
Gotta be careful what you wish for, Green Lantern was setup to be humorous and we know how that ended.

Batman and Robin was a very light movie with lots of humor.... and it was a huge dud.

Superman 3 even put a comedian in the movie to make it more funny and it was a disaster.

The ONLY reason Avengers or even Iron Man had humor in it was because of the great acting and wit of Robert Downy Jr. Without him both those franchises would be a bust IMO... When he quits doing the part I'm not sure what going to happen with those franchises.. I just don't see any other actor who can get away with the humor and wit without making the movie feel cheesy like the examples above.

Only reason the First Batman had any humor was because Jack Nicholson has that same wit and charm as Robert Downy Jr. Batman 2 was nowhere as funny without him playing the Joker. It was actually pretty gloomy and dark with the Penguin.

They tried to put humor back in with Jim Carrey in Batman 3 but it was hit and miss much like Jim Carreys career. And I already talked about Batman 4 above.

In Man of Steel I just didn't see any characters who could add humor to the movie without it being seen as forced... Zod was to serious of a man so was Superman.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
I was a little surprised by the decision to give General Zod a "Clark Kent-like" secret human identity as an assistant regional manager at a paper distribution company.

I don't see it, They look nothing alike... maybe if I squint really hard