Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I think what the fans were attempting to say in the politest way possible was that the future of Star Wars was limited (and arguably suffered) by George Lucas' imagination. Even Stan Lee, who some might say was an even greater storyteller, needed (and admittedly solicited) help from other kindred storytelling spirits like Kirby, Romita, Ditko, Buscema, and many others to bring a story to a higher level. All this to say that the argument that the Star Wars Universe could have reached even greater heights is entirely a plausible one, imo.

I think Star Wars fans are about to get their wish as they'll get more Star Wars film and TV product than they ever dreamed or thought possible. Disney is going to milk this cash cow so hard, they may be charged with cruelty to animals.
I totally agree. The smartest decision George ever did in regards to Star Wars, was to hand the franchise to Disney. They will expand the Universe in ways we cannot fully comprehend yet. This is not necessarily good news for the older and most orthodox fanbase, but for the younger and the upcoming generation of fans it will certainly be a wild ride.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
Python
Omega Red

Not all of the older fans are stuck in the past, I grew up with the originals but I loved the Clone wars tv series. Rebels isn't nearly as good but I'm even quite liking those. The more Star Wars the better imo within reason of course, I don't think I will tire of it as much as I would most franchises as long as they keep it fresh and don't let it become another OTT Avengers type thing. I like the way JJ seems to have gone although I haven't actually seen his movie yet..
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Not all of the older fans are stuck in the past, I grew up with the originals but I loved the Clone wars tv series. Rebels isn't nearly as good but I'm even quite liking those. The more Star Wars the better imo within reason of course, I don't think I will tire of it as much as I would most franchises as long as they keep it fresh and don't let it become another OTT Avengers type thing. I like the way JJ seems to have gone although I haven't actually seen his movie yet..

You should watch it soon. I'm sure you are going to like it.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
Python
Omega Red

Going on my day off soon, I think I'll enjoy it very much, can't wait to finally see it...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I totally agree. The smartest decision George ever did in regards to Star Wars, was to hand the franchise to Disney. They will expand the Universe in ways we cannot fully comprehend yet. This is not necessarily good news for the older and most orthodox fanbase, but for the younger and the upcoming generation of fans it will certainly be a wild ride.
Great post. I totally agree. I've really enjoyed the stuff Disney has done so far, and I think it'll breathe new life into the franchise in a ton of great ways.

Regarding George Lucas, I still have a ton of love and respect for him, despite his mishandling of the property in the past 20 years. I think Cessna was right about too much success going to his head; he had all the control, and no one willing to tell him "this is a bad idea, George," and that was his fault. But we do owe him a debt for giving us something so central to many of our childhood imaginations, for sure, and that will never go away. On the contrary, now that Star Wars is out of his hands, his legacy will have time and space to heal.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #16
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
I couldn't agree more. I can't wait to see what Disney does with the franchise and my son shares the same enthusiasm.

As a newly introduced fan of Star Wars, my son watched all seven episodes in a weekend and he loved them all. I was anxious to see how the 2 trilogies fared in his eyes and there was no distinct differentiation between the movies in the series (Episode 6 was his favorite). With Disney at the helm, generations to come to love the franchise IMHO. Can't wait for episode 8

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #17
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Just a side note, Space Battleship Yamato pre-dates SW by years and I think should get a little love too. I suspect Lucas might have been aware of it given he was also drawing from the Japanese film "The Hidden Fortress" for inspiration. That is not to diminish what he did either. SW 77 was a revolutionary what we call today...mashup.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

George Lucas is the brainchild of Star Wars. He is the creator. It was spawned from his mind, and his mind alone.

However, it is a property that flourished lavishly, and has transcended the vision of one man. Star Wars is now a culmination of years of creative input and collaboration. One thing that offended me slightly is the EU being retconned by Disney. Other than that, bring it on!
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #19
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Let's not forget Gary Kurtz and the "other Lucas".... Marcia.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...23b06e98805ffb
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Let's not forget Gary Kurtz and the "other Lucas".... Marcia.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...23b06e98805ffb
Great article. Thanks for posting that.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote