Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Agreed with Jade. Is that $50 really worth it.

And what if the commission didn't turn out? Do you pay less? No.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #12
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
Agreed with Jade. Is that $50 really worth it.

And what if the commission didn't turn out? Do you pay less? No.
Yeah, it definitely turned into a principle thing....haven't done business with him since. I think what irked me the most was the fact that he made no mention of refunding the shipping money I had already paid, even though he didn't have to ship the piece. At the end of the day, he snagged an extra $17 for him and his artist....at the risk of ruining his reputation...that's just bad business.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I've had a few instances of what might classify as a bait and switch. At least, not getting what I paid for/what was specified.

Bob Mcleod, Greg Laroque and Antonio Sarchione did this.

For Bob I requested (and paid for) a full figure (and specifically referenced the head-to-toe Black Panther example on his own website), but only got a half figure/cut off at the thighs. He sent the finished artwork with no sketches, no confirmation, I just got a piece that wasn't what I specified.

For Greg he went with a different setting/location than what I requested, and again requested 3 full figures, got 2 cut off at the shins and 1 cut off at the knees. Again like Bob he just sent the finished piece, nothing I could have done.

Lastly Antonio Sarchione, who agreed to my original concept, sent a sketch that I approved, but then upon finishing the pencils had gone with something different and said he couldn't go through with the concept and sketch we had agreed on. Luckily I was able to get my money back but it was really weird he suddenly went against what we agreed on at 2 previous stages.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

really strange experiences cj. thanks for sharing.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #15
Doc McCoy
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
Yeah, it definitely turned into a principle thing....haven't done business with him since. I think what irked me the most was the fact that he made no mention of refunding the shipping money I had already paid, even though he didn't have to ship the piece. At the end of the day, he snagged an extra $17 for him and his artist....at the risk of ruining his reputation...that's just bad business.
Did he really risk ruining his reputation, though? He, like a great many others in this hobby, probably banked on the fact that you wouldn't out him, so he really didn't risk much.
Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Did he really risk ruining his reputation, though? He, like a great many others in this hobby, probably banked on the fact that you wouldn't out him, so he really didn't risk much.
You're right...and in cases like this, I chose the path of least resistence because it didn't seem worth the headache to out him....wrong decision...maybe.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
Wah
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
You're right...and in cases like this, I chose the path of least resistence because it didn't seem worth the headache to out him....wrong decision...maybe.
i wish you'd just tell us who he was. at least the rep. so we could all avoid this guy in the future.
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

It's hard to out reps. You're basically blacklisting yourself from any of their artists at that point, when your problem is with the rep and not the artist(s.)
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #19
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

agreed. tricky situation. but word gets around quietly. makes me think twice about going through some of these guys.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #20
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Like everything else in this hobby, reps are hit or miss. Some are great to deal with and really help a lot and some are actually an impediment.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote