Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
I haven't read Fury - I'm not much of a spy guy, apart from when superheroes are involved. Plus, the last Fury MAX limited kind of put me off trying another. But, then again, you steered me right on NextWave...

(Oh, and I like Speedball too - original costume only. I wish he'd passed that Avengers test way back when...)

ah, but if you've read my review , Fury takes plase during WW2 (no spy stuff to be seen or heard), even before he was with the howling commandos, and his in alligeance with a bunch of british troops kicking Nazi butt...

and speedball still sucks. Even though I really liked the new warriors.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
ah, but if you've read my review , Fury takes plase during WW2 (no spy stuff to be seen or heard), even before he was with the howling commandos, and his in alligeance with a bunch of british troops kicking Nazi butt...

and speedball still sucks. Even though I really liked the new warriors.
Don't tell me you're a Night Thrasher fan.

I knew that about Fury! I'd just forgotten it. So many comics...

Buuuuuut, if there's one thing I find thematically more dull than spies, it's war. Oh, actually two things - cowboys too. Spies, war and cowboys, can't stand the lot of them. Oh, and space too. By and large I can't stand space.

Basically, if they announce Space Cowboys 2: Spies at War, I'm staying away.

By the way, Death of Jean De Wolff is one of the best Spidey stories ever written. Now she was a great supporting character. Glad to have her back, of a fashion, in that little talked of Ultimate Spidey book we both keep forgetting to tell folks we like.

Last edited by JDH; 06-08-2006 at 08:43 AM.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #13
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Don't tell me you're a Night Thrasher fan.

I knew that about Fury! I'd just forgotten it. So many comics...

Buuuuuut, if there's one thing I find thematically more dull than spies, it's war. Oh, actually two things - cowboys too. Spies, war and cowboys, can't stand the lot of them. Oh, and space too. By and large I can't stand space.

Basically, if they announce Space Cowboys 2: Spies at War, I'm staying away.

not so much night thrasher as namorita. Hubba hubba. And that whole Marvel Boy/Vance Astro thing I thought was cool cause I always dug guardians of the galaxy.

Huh. No war or space? Or Spies? Cowboys? You realize the Avengers has had all those elements to it at some point or another...
Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #14
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
not so much night thrasher as namorita. Hubba hubba. And that whole Marvel Boy/Vance Astro thing I thought was cool cause I always dug guardians of the galaxy.

Huh. No war or space? Or Spies? Cowboys? You realize the Avengers has had all those elements to it at some point or another...
Spandex conquers all! Actually, the Avengers can bring the best out of most of those genres, you're right. I loved Kree Skrull War, Operation Galactic Storm, the time travel story in WCA. But generally, the four genres turn me off. I can enjoy stuff set in space more than the rest, but don't tend to. Annihilation Prologue is the first ever comic that I seriously considered not bothering to finish. If I hadn't ordered the first issues of Super Skrull, Surfer, Nova and Ronan, I don't think I would have. Truly, it was execrable. Luckily, Surfer and Nova turned out okay, though the least said about Super Skrull and Ronan the better.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #15
Babytoxie
Ghost

Thanks as usual, guys. I appreciate your helping me keep an eye on what's going on in the monthlies.

Since you both have been covering Spider-Man in recent trade reviews, here's a question: have either of you read Spider-Man - Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge? I picked this up on a whim at my LCS a while back, and I'm just wondering what i'm in for.

Thanks!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
I loved Kree Skrull War, Operation Galactic Storm, the time travel story in WCA.
I'm reading the first trade of Avengers: OGS right now. You are right: it's a great story! I recommend it to anyone.

Sorry to swing off-topic twice, guys.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #17
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Good review as always gents. And as for the Y the Last Man, it's last issue is actually 60. Mr Vaughn has been adament about that in several interviews. It'll be a sad day when it ends too
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #18
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecallahan
Good review as always gents. And as for the Y the Last Man, it's last issue is actually 60. Mr Vaughn has been adament about that in several interviews. It'll be a sad day when it ends too

yeah, me too. I mean, he said 60ish or something like that, but I'm sure it will be right around then. Of course after the big hints in this last issue, I'm curious as ever to see how it is going to end.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Spandex conquers all!

Huh.

No seriously, I also got the first issue of Annihilation, and thought it was, well, for lack of anything better to say "lame", and I'm glad I didn't order the rest of it.

Galactic Storm is aiight, I reviewed it a few weeks back, but the art isn't the best. And jess, don't forget Avengers Forever, cowboys, time travel, space, and space phantoms (oh my!).

Toxie, I'm pretty sure neither joe nor I have read the "sidekicks" tpb you mentioned...
Old 06-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #20
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Speaking of Avenger's Forever, where do you rank that in their alltime stories?
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote