Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
How the heck did I miss this? I like your Turner Red Sonja but this one is my favorite! It must have cost you a small fortune but man is it awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I missed this too the first time around! Awesome pickup!
At SDCC I met Silvestri. Dream come true for me. We talked a little about this cover. He said it is one of his all time favorites . I got a picture of him and I holding signed comics of this cover and the cover I have coming soon. I'd post a pic but don't want to let the cat out of the bag till the second cover actually is in my grubby little mitts.

Out
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #12
scott
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

That's one of my fav of Sonja covers as well, congrats
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immovable Blob View Post
I had a look on his site, there is some great art there. Got to say though i was dissapointed with the price of commissions, $2K for a single pencilled character with minimal background. There was me with my Goblin Queen already to go to. Think i'll stick to published art.
At that rate you should be thinking published art. This is a very nice piece indeed and was only last night looking at his site. Some nice stuff for sale.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
worldbreaker13
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Unreal, Silvestri is incredible! Nice piece.
worldbreaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
snappahead
Producer
Producer

That IS wierd that we all missed this....me too!!!! Sorry Out..There's no way I wouldn't have commented if I'd seen this. Strange since this board doesn't see posts like this that often. Well..very very late congrats. This is one bada$$ cover. Smokes the Turner cover IMO, but that's no surprise...never cared for Turner's art. Great pickup and good story to go with it.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
That IS wierd that we all missed this....me too!!!! Sorry Out..There's no way I wouldn't have commented if I'd seen this. Strange since this board doesn't see posts like this that often. Well..very very late congrats. This is one bada$$ cover. Smokes the Turner cover IMO, but that's no surprise...never cared for Turner's art. Great pickup and good story to go with it.
Yeah the problem with Turner pieces are the pieces are way overpriced.

You would be lucky to sell it for 1/3 of your original purchase price.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #17
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Yeah the problem with Turner pieces are the pieces are way overpriced.

You would be lucky to sell it for 1/3 of your original purchase price.
Maybe and maybe not. I don't have a crystal ball that will allow me to see which modern artist's will survive the test of time. I think if I were looking at this as an investment I could do a lot worse than buying a Turner cover.
Turner's art is very expensive and not for everyone. Even at his prices his stuff seems to move well. I agree with you if this were a short term investment kind of deal that I would not recoup what I paid. I don't think that anyone really knows what the long term value of any art will be. If I were a betting man I would say that down the road it will probably have been a wise investment. But then again, I bought a beautiful piece of art that I love and have no intention of letting go.

Also there are only three people who know what I actually paid for the Turner cover. Frank M, Michael Turner, and me. I tend to think I recieved a good deal.

Out
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
outlikealight

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Thanks. This cover is my favorite with the Turner cover being a close second. I never get tired of looking at it.

Out
Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight View Post
Maybe and maybe not. I don't have a crystal ball that will allow me to see which modern artist's will survive the test of time. I think if I were looking at this as an investment I could do a lot worse than buying a Turner cover.
Turner's art is very expensive and not for everyone. Even at his prices his stuff seems to move well. I agree with you if this were a short term investment kind of deal that I would not recoup what I paid. I don't think that anyone really knows what the long term value of any art will be. If I were a betting man I would say that down the road it will probably have been a wise investment. But then again, I bought a beautiful piece of art that I love and have no intention of letting go.

Also there are only three people who know what I actually paid for the Turner cover. Frank M, Michael Turner, and me. I tend to think I recieved a good deal.

Out
You are exactly right on not knowing what the future holds for modern art. My point was the immediate resale value. If you bought a cover from Turner at their asking price and then immediately listed it on ebay. More than likely it will not recoup half your money.

This is not a shot at Turner. Hell if people are willing to pay these prices then why not get it. I would love to own one of Turner's covers from Fantastic Four. Maybe down the road....

It will be interesting to see what these modern pieces will be worth in 20 years.

So just between us forum members, what did you pay?
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
outlikealight

Quote:
You are exactly right on not knowing what the future holds for modern art. My point was the immediate resale value. If you bought a cover from Turner at their asking price and then immediately listed it on ebay. More than likely it will not recoup half your money.

This is not a shot at Turner. Hell if people are willing to pay these prices then why not get it. I would love to own one of Turner's covers from Fantastic Four. Maybe down the road....

It will be interesting to see what these modern pieces will be worth in 20 years.

So just between us forum members, what did you pay?
I gotcha! By the way I saw those Fantastic Four covers of his at SDCC. OMG . They were magnificent. I was not prepared for how truly awesome his pencils are in person. I will be getting another of his covers down the line. I have a couple in mind but who knows what will be available about this time next year. I am commited to three other covers before I can consider that.

As for the price, you tell me what the "Monster" Haul has cost and I'll tell you what my meager offerings set me back .

Out