Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
kaza5555
New Republic

Most people would think this is Conan, so a nameplate makes sense.
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
ahahahahah its like hes hosting a garage sale,ok maybe too much critiscism, ill keep quiet
man, that's a tough comment. i look at clay's work and i see fine art, not just a sculpt. my guess is that you haven't read the blog to understand why the base is so, what it represents and the importance to each piece that is there. the pieces are an important part of kull. check out the blog, read it and maybe you'll appreciate it a bit more. don't get me wrong, only because i like it (i've seen it in person), doesn't mean that everyone has to like it but i do know that understanding why it is so, helps.

i'm not a fan on nameplates as well but on specific pieces i think they fit well. when you're doing an iron man sculpt, i don't think it needs a nameplate. when you are doing artistic pieces, it defines a piece. fine art pieces are known to have nameplates and as do barbaric sculpts. one of the reasons is because it exemplifies their status of power and also defines who they are. also like kaza said, fans that don't know could think it's a conan.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #13
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

I think I'm buying all sculpts Clay.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #14
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Am I the only one that...likes the base? It's more stoic, and powerful, a graceful Kull, over a very barbaric look Conan usually has. I think it's a nice portrayal with memories littered about his feet. I like the nameplate cause most ppl wouldn't know who he is anyways. I could go either way. I'm getting this asap.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 AM   #15
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
man, that's a tough comment. i look at clay's work and i see fine art, not just a sculpt. my guess is that you haven't read the blog to understand why the base is so, what it represents and the importance to each piece that is there. the pieces are an important part of kull. check out the blog, read it and maybe you'll appreciate it a bit more. don't get me wrong, only because i like it (i've seen it in person), doesn't mean that everyone has to like it but i do know that understanding why it is so, helps.

i'm not a fan on nameplates as well but on specific pieces i think they fit well. when you're doing an iron man sculpt, i don't think it needs a nameplate. when you are doing artistic pieces, it defines a piece. fine art pieces are known to have nameplates and as do barbaric sculpts. one of the reasons is because it exemplifies their status of power and also defines who they are. also like kaza said, fans that don't know could think it's a conan.

i did read it and your right it does make sense,however i made that comment after looking at the base ,i still feel its looks cluttered, maybe i was envisioning the base differently thats why i was taken aback when i saw so much on it,but either way im still buying it ,im sure ill take my comment back when its all painted but thats what popped in my head when i saw it first
either way im going to own that
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #16
Poisonous
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

The base may look less cluttered when everyhing isn't the same color as the contrasts might create a sense of more space. Just a thought.
Poisonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
JSA
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I love the look of the sculpt beyond all reason, but I unfortunately don't like
the base at all. It does look too cluttered, and it just seems to take away
from the overall impact of the statue for me.

Nameplates have never been a favoriite of mine either, and I'd love to see
that gone as well. I know Kull may not be as well known or recognizable as
Conan, but the big old KULL on the front again seems to detract from the piece.

If it had just the simple rock topped base, I'd like that a lot better.

Simpler would be better IMHO.

JS
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #18
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Is this the only picture of the base?

I don't worry about how much stuff he has on the base... and if this is the only pic then it's probably not a completely fair representation of what we'll see...

Clay has the magic touch and you just can't judge the final outcome from this pic...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #19
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post

Agreed. I've never read Kabuki, Witchblade or know anything about Magdalena or Apphrodite IX but I picked up/ordered the sculpts anyway on the basis of art. And I'll be picking up Kull too. Although part of me wants Clay to slow down so my money will stay in my bank account longer.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
speedracer
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I really like the base...the detail and the work is very very nice..however i am a frazetta fan and i have to taper my collection spending..i will definitly get clays new conan..YEEEAH baby..
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote