View Poll Results: Was Torre Right to Turn Down The Yankees Offer
Yes 25 83.33%
No 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Torre did what he had to do. The offer was an insult. As if it wasn't bad enough that you want to give him a pay cut your going to give him a 1 year deal with an option for 09??? That's basically telling him that if you don't win this year your gone. Torre got a raw deal.

The Yankee hierarchy are a bunch of dickheads. Did they actually think he was going to take that deal??? If that's what they had on the table they should have just told him right away that they didn't want him back. It makes no sense because now they're probably going to give LaRussa the same money and for a couple of years.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
J Storm
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
are u kidding? he has had a monster squad every year...
bye bye! cashman should go to
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. A squad can only dominant if they work together. All those ego's can't fit in the clubhouse anymore & Torre did everything to keep things together. But in the end, it's the Yankees front office who put this together. Don't blame Igor, blame the Frankenstein for creating this monster.
J Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Storm View Post
That's true, but Cashman is responsible too for getting these players. Lonn Trost, the Yankees President gotta take some heat too. It's easy to blame to Torre b/c he's on the bottom of the totem pole but the Yanks front office is blame too. Torre did his best with what he got and the front office didnt do much to help, especially when the team was struggling.

Exactly. The Yankees are so screwed up in the heads they actually thought a 44 year old arm would be the key to getting them back to the World Series. Based on what - his name and reputation?!?

Typical. I'm looking forward to seeing the Yanks miss the playoffs next year, and picturing Joe Torre laughing his @ss off on his boat somewhere...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
DC_Universe_Grl
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I am really interested to see what Torre has to say at this conference tomorrow. I think that the money might have had something to do with it, but I know he wanted to retire soon.
DC_Universe_Grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
bat_collector
Galactus

good for him
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #16
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Torre did what he had to do. The offer was an insult. As if it wasn't bad enough that you want to give him a pay cut your going to give him a 1 year deal with an option for 09??? That's basically telling him that if you don't win this year your gone. Torre got a raw deal.

The Yankee hierarchy are a bunch of dickheads. Did they actually think he was going to take that deal??? If that's what they had on the table they should have just told him right away that they didn't want him back. It makes no sense because now they're probably going to give LaRussa the same money and for a couple of years.
trying to make themselves not the bad guy here
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Tell'em where to go, Joe!
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
lol...poor torre!,,,he made 7 mil a year for what???

please im glad hes gone...get some new blood in there..its time for a change...
he got credit when they won,,,he should catch the heat when they lose....
works both ways...

my vote is girardi

WOW, Dude we actually agree on something....

Yankees made a shrewed move here... they played chicken with Torre.... & Torre blinked....

You honestly can't blame the Yankees because Torre would have still been the highest paid manager in baseball....

& to all the Yankee fans that wanted him to stay... when where you guys gonna say enough is enough???

Torre hasn't won anything since 2000... last year everyone spoke about murderer's row & this year about the great comeback & how hot they were... then what?? they failed again....

Torre fans have to realize he got the credit for the championships... look how much he was getting paid... & then he was getting the benefit of the doubt for the past 7 years... don't forget about the great collapse against the RED SOX.... I'm shocked he survived that.... he had to go sooner or later

I mean what did some of you guys think he was gonna be manager of this team into his 80's???

& honestly TORRE smartened up... he left on his own terms... he didn't like the offer so he's walking away... he should at least keep his dignity (along with all the millions & legendary status)

TORRE had a great career & he'll be in the hall of fame as one of the greatest managers of all time
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:24 AM   #19
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I think the offer was fair and whoever they hire to replace him will do as well or better. Managing baseball isn't rocket science. Baseball is more about who's got the better players than ANY other sport. Great football coaches can design plays, disguise defenses, mesh player packages etc. Great basketball coaches can utilize different screens and tempo decisions based on who they have in the game and who they are playing.

RE Joe going in to the hall of fame as one of the greatest managers ever. I wouldn't vote for him. Let's go to the tape.

Joe's first managing job was with the Mets in 1978. He managed them for 4.5 years and had a record of 286-420, the worst of any manager over that time period.

Maybe his Mets just weren't that good. Fair enough. His next job was with the Braves. He managed the likes of Dale Murphy and Bob Horner for 3 years from 1982-84. He made the playoffs exactly once (his first year) and was then swept by the Cardinals

After a 5 year break he was hired by the Cardinals. He managed them from mid 1990 to mid 1995, never finishing higher than 3rd in his division and with a record during that time of 271-354.

So before the Yankees hired him his 12 year managerial career only produced one playoff appearance (and that on the business end of a sweep) and a total record of 894 wins and 1003 losses.

Then George Stienbrenner hired him. I'd say George's latest offer was more than fair. I'd say if anything Joe owes George, not the other way around.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #20
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I think it was time for a change also but I think the Yankees handled this poorly. It's not like Torre is a horrible manager but when the game is really on the line it just looks like the team just doesn't respond to Torre anymore so even though he really didn't do a bad job this year the Yankees did the right thing. They just did it in the wrong way. I think he would have been okay with the paycut because he still would be the highest paid manager in baseball. IMO the million dollar incentives for each round the team makes it too and the 1 year deal with an option for 09 is what made Torre turn it down.

Guidry and that @ssclown hitting coach should be the next heads to roll.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote