Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Target raised their prices shortly after the release of the Red Hulk exclusive line and they started selling off the shelf. It has kind of bitten them a little though. Because the Red Hulk line uses the same UPC numbers as the regular legends lines, people are buying the Red Hulk figures and returning older Hasbro Legends which they bought for $9.99 and now getting back $15 for them.
I even heard people have been buying the older figures from Wal-Mart for $10 and returning them to Target for $15.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
tuv1305
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I've seen the ML figures selling for $14.99 around here at Target and Toys R us, but all of the Wal-marts in my area phased the line out completely about three or four months ago
tuv1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
rbailen
Frackin!

I'm out of the 6" market for the following reasons: Marvel Legends: mediocre sculpts, lousy paint, $15 price points, hard to find store exclusives, 8-figure BAFs; DCUC: awesome 4Horsemen sculpts but lousy distribution to retail for mainline figures I can't imagine the exclusives, increase to 7-figure BAFs. For plastic I'm into Mezco Hellboy 3 3/4" ($5 a pop) and NECA TMNTs and Alien. Even McFarlane Halo figures are lookin' like good value to me. Winding down on StarWars and 3 3/4" GIJoes at $8 a pop. I'ld rather get the better 12" Joes for $15.
rbailen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
MandarinORANGE
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Hasn't hasbro blamed BAFs on high prices? that and oil of course. they had that attitude of 'if you don't want them to cost more than deal with no more BAFs."

hasbro MLs have gotten better but still no where near toybiz's run. the best of hasbro's MLs just use molds of toybiz figures, like the ML Kang and virtually the entire spider-man run.
MandarinORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
ratchet
Mandarin

I'm okay with no more BAF. Never built one anyway...

Red Hulk BAF *sheesh*
Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
MandarinORANGE

yeah, but it was a great incentive when the figures/oil were cheaper. i think a couple of retail chains were really keen on the BAFs too, especially Wal*Mart.

heck, before they lost the license, Toybiz planned a "BAF" Quinjet with the last line of figures. that would be been pretty cool given the rarity of vehicles and playsets nowadays.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarinORANGE View Post
yeah, but it was a great incentive when the figures/oil were cheaper. i think a couple of retail chains were really keen on the BAFs too, especially Wal*Mart.

heck, before they lost the license, Toybiz planned a "BAF" Quinjet with the last line of figures. that would be been pretty cool given the rarity of vehicles and playsets nowadays.
The thing is... it's the perfect idea. Every wave of figures always have certain characters that no one will touch. Then they stay on the pegs for years.

The idea of the BAF is that every figure will at least be bought to complete a larger, more sought out figure that will be in scale with the whole line. It was a great idea when the pieces were distibuted between 6 figures. A total wave would cost $60.

Now - an entire wave is going to cost you DOUBLE that. Double from one wave to the next. That's a bit ridiculous. People need to express their feelings with their wallets here and not buy them...
Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
MandarinORANGE

exactly ratchet. the BAF (or mattel's collect-to-connect) was a brilliant retail strategy. i think toybiz put out a superior product for the most part that could stand alone but i don't think hasbro is going to be able to sustain the line w/o the BAF. they don't do very good sculpts and very little accessories.

i guess the point is moot though since by all accounts Hasbro will likely kill the ML figures once they get their 3 3/4" figures going.

i still remember when they switched formats with the SW Unleashed figure/statues. they said they'd eventually return to the bigger size. they never did.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I'm okay with no more BAF. Never built one anyway...

Red Hulk BAF *sheesh*
I've got one arm and one leg and have the other leg on the way. almost have the other arm. I only bougth the Silver Savage (great figure by the way) but the others I have bought just the BAF piece off of people. No idea if I am going to be able to get the head or chest. Stupid Hulk compulsion.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote